Thermopylae by popeye the sailor - Sergal - 1:124 scale

thanks for the kind comments.....and to those who hit the like button.    you might have seen that small imperfection on the starboard stern.....two small holes.....I took care of them.   they were filled in and painted over.   as I'm sure others do.......imperfections are fixed as we see them.   we have our cameras as our worst critics......we have no need to do it ourselves ;)    I have four days off......

plenty of time to sit here and play :)    my car inspection is due.......and I have a few things to do to it.   one day I will have to get my butt in gear and get it done.  I still have time.

there's an odd point made Bob........I haven't done too many small scale projects.   the AmericA was the smallest I've done,  besides the Gundalow......the Nordkap was the largest.   the odd thing about this one is...I seem gravitated towards it.......so much so,  that the trawler seems to have taken a back seat again.   fear not trawler fans.......I haven't forgotten it.  the Syborn,  as well as the other two have been on my mind.......anyone's guess what will erupt from there ;)    but I guess that's the beauty in having so many projects.......I can gravitate anywhere,  and never leave my seat :D 

thanks for look'in in and following along....I appreciate your comments and suggestions :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

well......I had all intentions of getting the rudder installed on the ship......first thing I needed to do,  was keep track of it ;)    after assembling the gungeons and pintles together,  I notched the rudder.

58f82c3ab2176_1.jpg.ae8a4b36da7285ace66e621858f53419.jpg

the rudder was touched up,  ready to fasten on the assemblies.  I told myself.......remember,  ship side down............I still managed to get one upside down.   after I fixed it,  it was ready for more touch ups.   by this time,  with all the handling,  the copper looked really dull.   when dry,  it was given a coat of lacquer to seal the copper {I had mentioned how Testor's metallic paints couldn't take too much handling......very soft paint}.  

58f82fe09c61c_2.jpg.70a11893fc14a6e637a80fd513c6f9ec.jpg

in the mean time,  I made a few aspects and pondered over others.   the protective plate for the anchor was not included in the kit,  so I made a pair.  I also looked over the trail boards and the decoration for the stern.   they are made of a gold plated metal....kinda thick and hard.   I'd likely have to heat the decoration in order to bend it to the contour of the stern.    as for the trail boards......they look terrible.......metal flash and I had to do some serious filing to them.   I'll see what I can scratch instead ;)

58f82ff4924cb_3.jpg.2124f2de476d52cd6d09bfce1d216634.jpg

I had forgotten that I needed railings for the aft cabin.   there are also to be a pair of railings at the bow,   and one around the transom.   the bow railing bases I have soaked and bending on the pine board.  for the cabin railings,  I sanded the thickness down on a piece of strip stock and cut two pieces from it.   holes are drilled down the length of them....an idea have I.   the boom for the bow spirit was also cut.........getting ready to assemble.

58f831bcb2cbb_4.jpg.4e30624c7b120853b658045cf0a2b456.jpg

the rudder is ready for the booth.

58f8321972788_6.jpg.6beaba6069869ce4be739a49f8a3b8d1.jpg

ok....this is gonna seem funny.......'cuz I didn't plan this.  I didn't measure a darn thing.   I've shown these before.......I got them from the jewelry dept from Hobby lobby.   these are eye bolts with a stem that's about 4 inches long.   I cut off the eye bolt with enough to be able to use them,  and used the rest on the railings.

58f8331b5bc77_5.jpg.1aa50a874d9da816ae578b017e31947e.jpg

I have others.......these are polished black.   the stem part was chopped up into short pieces......I used the first one cut as a gauge.  when I had enough,  I began cementing them into one of the boards.   after a few were in place,  it became hard for the thing to stand up....kept falling over.  so,  I took the other board and lined the holes up to match {I had drilled both pieces at the same time}. 

58f8344d8307d_7.jpg.b8362c8586cb873c8e87ee013d3172dc.jpg

oh........fancy that!   a ladder! :D   now,  it just so happens that the 'ladder' is 8 mm wide........so I took a piece of 4 mm wide strip stock,  and used it as a cutting guide.   

58f8373367af1_8.jpg.fc250f7d1e2b5fecfc19a4bc5a8c1c89.jpg

I still have some of that wire I stripped from a light cord.....tiny stuff.   winding it was a trial at first,  but the second one went much better.....and faster.  I'm in the process of tweaking the rungs,  so they are straight,

58f8385f25dc2_10.jpg.8e2de80f5ecc71090001c2ac50e396d8.jpg

the bow spirit and boom is assembled......still needs to be sanded and get some brass on it

58f838c7a857b_9.jpg.cb7a3e43e8aaa2241883eda197ac2b03.jpg

as mentioned,  the second railing went much better........the picture is a little blurry.   I blame it on poor lighting........

58f83952b32cc_11.jpg.69932210bd0834c19d459b26744b6923.jpg

then the panic attack.......where's the rudder?   I looked on both tables.....behind the desk.......through the garbage can by my desk.......and was getting ready to go get the bag I thew out earlier,  to look though that!  even the admiral started looking.   it wasn't until she mentioned that the DVD I was burning in the other room was done,  that I realized where I had left it.  I'm doing the old burn the VHS cassettes to DVD......bought a handy program to do it.   went in there.......and there it was!.......all dry and waiting for the next step.

58f83ae3e1fec_12.jpg.36a05b852f1b1c98041fb0e40b544920.jpg

here is a better picture of the railings........they have a coat of flat white.   they should get another coat,  because I had to revive the paint.......now it's nothing more that white wash.

58f83b702c26c_13.jpg.1ddd84d1a866bcfa243c9dde63260e90.jpg

the color of the wood shows through.   perhaps tomorrow,  I can begin populating the deck.    still a few more aspects to make....

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

G'day Denis

I guess better late than never! I've just found your log and it's bloody great mate. Sorry I'm late.

I hope there's still room somewhere, so I can plant my seat and watch more entries that you will place in.

Can't wait 

Havagooday 

Greg 

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

Current log : The Royal Yacht Royal Caroline 1749 1:32 by Greg Ashwood:...

WOW Popeye...you're *Clipping* along with this build.  Nicely done and very clean..great job!  I like how you tackled the chain plates and channels...nice.

Rob

Current build:

Build log: https://modelshipworld.com/topic/25382-glory-of-the-seas-medium-clipper-1869-by-rwiederrich-196

Finished build:

Build log: of 1/128th Great Republic: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13740-great-republic-by-rwiederrich-four-masted-extreme-clipper-1853/#

Current build(On hold):

Build log: 1/96  Donald McKay:http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/4522-donald-mckay-medium-clipper-by-rwiederrich-1855/

Completed build:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/475-196-cutty-sark-plastic/

The LORD said, "See, I have set (them) aside...with skills of all kinds, to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver, and bronze, to cut and set stones, to work in wood, and to engage in all kinds of crafts."

hello Greg.......glad to have you aboard!   I was beginning to wonder.  enjoy! :)  

thanks Rob......thanks again for clearing up my befuddlement.   I think there might be a ship in this box yet! ;)    I still feel that the arrangement isn't completely correct.........if I knew I was going to scratch them out like I did,  I would have added more.   it is what it is ;)   thanks again for the good word!  

thanks to all for the likes! :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Nice progress Denis, things are looking really spiffy.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

thanks Piet........good of you to drop by :)    glad you like it!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

here's a bit more progress on the 'ole girl.    the anchor guards are in place......and a little bit more.   the rub rail has been painted.....I did a butcher job on it.  it need another coat....then I can do all the touch ups on it.

58fa0cbc7c028_1.jpg.f1d2060a98f4ecc038a78266015bc77b.jpg

58fa0cc918561_2.jpg.5e94df4a012da59e1ebb5b2b8edc8140.jpg

the rudder is now in place as well.

58fa0cf6f2abe_3.jpg.67bfe428ffb3993b83ab6d61287de377.jpg

I added some extra thickness to the pin rail between the fore and main pin racks,  because it looks like there are some belaying pins along this area too.   the main deck cabin and the hold covers have been cemented in place.

58fa0da8921dd_4.jpg.6412ccafd6d711cdb115d1627dfbefa4.jpg

58fa0dbb82196_5.jpg.8f6a4176d6d8840cd3073c8f3637689f.jpg

I will have to check,  but I may have to add small sections to the pin rails before the fore pin rack,  and aft of the main pin rack.......there may be additional belaying points in these areas as well.  I did more checking on the mast heights.....and as far as I can see......they are correct.  I had also cut the mizzen as well........whittling down the cap areas of the masts,  the tops were cemented in place.   the bow spirit boom was also tapered at this time......still have to add the hardware.

58fa0f775b6cd_6.jpg.92f4524f3e575b95ff1ea159f63b65f0.jpg

I will have check Cyril's model again.........but the plans show that there is a bit more rake to the main and mizzen mast,  than the fore mast.  I still have to adjust the mizzen....there's too much there,  and quite noticeable.   the width of the aft cabin might be a problem too.   it's made from the kit parts,  and doesn't leave too much room for pin racks for the mizzen.   it's a rainy day today, great for finishing the rub rail stripe. 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

this model's gonna drive me crazy John.   I've done a little work on the masts........right now I have the mizzen running through the aft cabin,  and they're not sitting half bad.  any other time the rake would be different on all three.  it's OK.......I'm not ready to cement them in just yet.    thanks for the info John.......I'll keep that in mind.    thanks for the likes everyone!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

The 'ole' girl is looking great Denis.  Just to complicate things ;) :), the increasing amount of rake of the masts as you head aft is common as John has pointed out; however, the amount can vary (exceptions).  The Victoria I am building had quite a lot of rake to the mizzen - yet to measure.  

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

I'm counting on the fact that you will be a solid Clipper lover when you get her finished Popeye.  The *Greyhound* of the sea bug is infecting you and before you know it the magnificent short lived world of the Clipper will take you over.  Everything about them was about speed......a uniquely American invention.  Clippers put American sea commerce at its pinnacle.

Great build...great fun.

Rob(Seller of everything Clipper)

Current build:

Build log: https://modelshipworld.com/topic/25382-glory-of-the-seas-medium-clipper-1869-by-rwiederrich-196

Finished build:

Build log: of 1/128th Great Republic: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13740-great-republic-by-rwiederrich-four-masted-extreme-clipper-1853/#

Current build(On hold):

Build log: 1/96  Donald McKay:http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/4522-donald-mckay-medium-clipper-by-rwiederrich-1855/

Completed build:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/475-196-cutty-sark-plastic/

The LORD said, "See, I have set (them) aside...with skills of all kinds, to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver, and bronze, to cut and set stones, to work in wood, and to engage in all kinds of crafts."

G'day Denis 

Looking at the dead eyes on the chain plate, they seems very large. They are almost the diameter of the mask.

I could be wrong, but I don't know anything about clippers, so forgive me if I'm talking bull 'manure'.

Havagooday

Greg  

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

Ahoy Popeye

The old Thermopylae is looking Superb buddy, Looks to be the same scale of my old 1971 Scientific kit which is the best kit they ever produced very accurate to say the least great job on the chain plates and installation of the dead eyes they look the business not certain if my eyes are playing any tricks the dead eyes look a tad oversized, But they do look great from my view keep building buddy your doing very well on this old classic clipper of a bygone age of sail never forgotten .

Frankie Day

Turn To Continue Ships Work

This is an example of smaller less detailed and slightly out of scale version(NOT Popeyes doing).  The kits at this level tend to(in favor of simplicity in construction) be less concerned with accuracy and scale then larger more expensive versions.

In light of the product and the hands it finds itself in...I think it is being built very well and is clean and exemplary.

Popeye's doing a super job.

Rob

Current build:

Finished build:

Current build(On hold):

5 hours ago, rwiederrich said:

This is an example of smaller less detailed and slightly out of scale version(NOT Popeyes doing).  The kits at this level tend to(in favor of simplicity in construction) be less concerned with accuracy and scale then larger more expensive versions.

In light of the product and the hands it finds itself in...I think it is being built very well and is clean and exemplary.

Popeye's doing a super job.

Rob

I agree with you completely. I know it's the kit's fault, but all I was saying it's looks too big for me.

My apologies if I have offended anyone. 

Havagooday 

Greg 

thanks for the kind comments,  and to those who hit the like button.   yes....scale is a big problem with this kit.   the dead eyes are 5 mm........I'll have to check photos that I have,  but if the second step has them.....I think I'll have it covered....got some 3 mm kick'in 'round somewhere.  I've done some adjustments and scratch work.....but there's just too much to keep in check.   I've opted to just finish building the kit,  and take care of the major stuff as I go along.

thanks Pat.......the main and mizzen are pretty much the same rake.   the way the mizzen fits through the aft cabin,  and then through the deck platform underneath,  it put the mizzen out a lot more.  I haven't cemented the aft cabin in place yet......I may cover over that hole,  and insert a pin at the base of the mizzen mast.   once I set it to the rake I need,  I'll push on the mast and the pin will make it's own guide hole.   another alternative is to trim the mast root on the side that will give me the ability to set the mast forward.   I have a plan ;)    icky mae!

I enjoy the clipper ship ........I built the Revell Cutty Sark twice.   I also have the parts panels for this kit.......they are in very good shape.   I think I can clone a few hulls with no problem.   since this kit is so 'scratch' oriented,   it will be easier to stay close to scale.   I do have to say though.......it is an interesting kit.   after all.....it's got me 'glued' to it for the past few weeks :D 

Hello Frank....welcome aboard :)    as mentioned above,  scale has been an issue with this kit.   I've had to make do in a few instances.   I don't think it will distract from the model once completed.  I think even the blocks will be a little out of scale,  at 2 mm  {and I even plan to add double blocks too......none supplied in the kit}

wait till you see the size of the anchors ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

hello Steve.   what I did with this kit......well the original chain plates were too small,  so I used some from Amati.   they fit the 5 mm dead eyes,  which was supplied in the kit.   when I crimped them,  I left a eyelet that protrudes underneath,  after the cover board is added to the channel.   once you arrive at the length that will fit your ship  {the Bounty} ,  I strung them on a brass rod via the hole at the end,  and one by one,  I cut them to the length of the first one.  this will work well for the fore and main assemblies,  but the mizzen might be a bit shorter.   they do bend rather well.....be sure to leave an extra 2 mm or so,  to create the hook for the eyelets under the channels.

the ones in this kit were so brittle,  they broke.   I have a good supply of the Billing chain bars,  since I've built a good number of Billing kits.   I use them for a number of different things.   I just used a pair of bent needle nose pliers to bend the hook......I did it pretty much by eye.   I'm sure a jig could be created to insure they are exact.   I hope this helps.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Great progress Denis.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

if the plans show where the channels locate on the ship,  I would say to follow them.   a good rule of thumb is that the channels would start along side the mast hole,   and trail past the mast hole,   but it's not a solid rule.   some will locate just ahead of the mast,  to give the shrouds a pyramid shape.   but you can be safe with the bounty.   you should be able to bend the dead eyes slightly to give the angle they need.....or include this as you assemble them  {it's safer}.

I was going to  say this last night,  but I forgot.   Billing's kits usually don't supply the chain plate loops for the dead eyes.   they rely on you to make them from wire......not sure what they supplied in the bounty kit,  but I've never seen any.   that's why I specified Amati.......theirs are not split......solid hoops that can be spread apart and insert the dead eye.   with a squeeze,  they are closed,  and the dead eye is retained in the hoop.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Yeah billings didn't include any deadeye hoops on the bounty I think there plans where still running in the plastic deadeye with there hoop attached then just bend the chain link to the plastic deadeye 

sorry to hyjack your log with my bounty questions perhaps you would take a look at my bounty build log and steer my right if I'm going wrong 

many thanks

steve 

I will do that Steve........yea,  it's sad that Billings supplies the plastic dead eyes and blocks.   I don't mind the blocks so much though.....they do look alright on my fishing vessels.

hello Dave..welcome to the log.   I'm rather surprised how this little model sucked me in.......almost hard to put it down.   enjoy...... ;) 

I did a little bit more on her Friday night.......once I get  the pictures together,  I'll post them.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Coming along very nicely Denis ! -...late to the party - but look forward to now following along !

Current Build: Willie L. Bennett - Model Shipways

Future Interests:  Friendship Sloop - BlueJacket Ship Crafters

Cape Cod Catboat - BlueJacket Ship Crafters 

hello Gerty....glad to have you aboard :)   still a lot more to go...not even at the half way point yet.  thanks for the good word.....and thanks to all for the likes! :) 

should have an update soon ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I finally put together the pictures from Friday.......figured I'd add them in with today's.    bad thing is......I wasn't very diligent with the camera.    I had cemented the boom on the bow spirit.   after it had dried,  I cut some thin strips of brass,  and added collars to the assembly.

590018b90674c_1.jpg.35ef5c6e325cc6e413d14c6c6f2e8734.jpg

at this point,  I began to work on the masts,  since I was playing with them.    double checking the height......guess it's OK.......I matched them to the diagram of the sail plan.   after a bit of whittling to the upper end the tops and the trestle trees were cemented in place.

59001f313548e_2.jpg.5794d6c6c7a80950fd61bf9170fa3a2c.jpg

I thought I had a picture of them in place on the model.......but I guess I didn't.   I had done a few other things before I knocked off for the evening.......making up part of the bow railings,  and adding the second step to the fore and main mast.   

59002007de010_5.jpg.1b864613371d870a43144f627ad5257e.jpg

I need to finish them,  of course.   the work on the masts continued by adding the second step to the mizzen mast.

590020523d86d_3.jpg.03d38511a11c0ddc5998daee916a0e53.jpg

590020605c7de_4.jpg.bc969e6cec27b8d8909af9f06e296097.jpg

to add the third step to the masts,  I had to make the cross trees.   no measurements,  no numbers....I'm pretty much feeling this out.......just going by the diagrams in the instructions {and there are only two to follow.

59002112b4f45_6.jpg.baa1098b433ccdafba22c8a63e86009d.jpg

for the third step,  I found that I was one cap short........must have used a wrong one somewhere,  'cuz there's one in the parts box.   I have some of that  thin stiff plywood,  that the kits supply {a parts panel},  and I made one.   it can be seen in the picture.  the cross tree to the left has not been trimmed yet.......I left the fore and aft bars long...no sanding either.   the fore and main mast were assembled at this time......the mizzen cross tree still needs to be made.

5900229863b7d_7.jpg.404dba2c3cde80e5e7ec4ce32d3543ba.jpg

the mizzen was assembled and plank slats were added to the tops........these need to be trimmed.   by the time I finish this update,  I should be able to trim them......if it isn't too late,  I'll post a picture of the masts.......ready for paint and brass.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

G'day Denis 

You're going great guns with the masks. So bloody fast. There's a saying in Australia 'you are working like you've got a motor up your a##se'.

Havagooday 

Greg 

well then Greg.......I guess I'd better fix the exhaust on that thing!   :D      thanks for the good word,  my friend.......and thanks for the likes.  this is just the bare bones of the masts.......there's more to be added to them.    as you can see........it was late.   I barely finished trimming the tops.   they needed to have planking added to them.  they said to use the 0.5 x 3 strips........I used the .75 strips {they might even be 1 mm thick}.   leaving a slot for the shrouds to run through,  they were planked to the ends,  leaving a gap between them.

5900974d8e7e9_8.jpg.f4458d004f0448137ce4304e2f49413d.jpg

once dry,  they were trimmed using the toe nail clippers.   this wood is really brittle.......the mizzen gave me some grief,  but I fixed it.

590097a201971_9.jpg.99e6ca26a00ef3d950eb993d0b428d9a.jpg

are they called cross trees or crojacks.........always knew them as the cross trees {Revell's fault}.   Well.....anyway,  I hope they aren't too big.......based their size according to the caps.   the mizzen is fixed and sanded.......they're all fitted on the ship.

59009ad473428_10.jpg.84667e67aba53ceba59619392900e89e.jpg

59009ae4a08b3_11.jpg.a781b4352d3c6dcffe7af4a055ec6db3.jpg

still gotta finish the rub rail stripe.......and make the rest of the deck furnishings.   I think this is the direction of the day.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock: