Thermopylae by popeye the sailor - Sergal - 1:124 scale

thanks for the kind comments and the likes as well   :)     yea......it's kinda cool Carl......I'm lay'in two planks for every one  :D  :D   they don't feel too thick either,  which is good.   I got this planking from a good friend of mine,  so it's really dry.  I'm going to try not to soak it in water or anything.   I got another plank on the port side,  and now I'm start to build the bulwarks for the starboard side.   no picture worthy stuff yet.

thanks John........the stern is going to be the headache......I'll end up having to shape it by the time I'm done.....I just know it.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Fantastic progress Denis and some good extra helpful info.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

thanks Piet........glad to see your look'in in.   The starboard side now has her bulwarks....deck is cased in.   the stern is gonna look ugly........no doubt about it.      but we can fix it  ;)   

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Glad to see you back at it......

Fine beginning.

Rob

Current build:

Build log: https://modelshipworld.com/topic/25382-glory-of-the-seas-medium-clipper-1869-by-rwiederrich-196

Finished build:

Build log: of 1/128th Great Republic: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13740-great-republic-by-rwiederrich-four-masted-extreme-clipper-1853/#

Current build(On hold):

Build log: 1/96  Donald McKay:http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/4522-donald-mckay-medium-clipper-by-rwiederrich-1855/

Completed build:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/475-196-cutty-sark-plastic/

The LORD said, "See, I have set (them) aside...with skills of all kinds, to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver, and bronze, to cut and set stones, to work in wood, and to engage in all kinds of crafts."

this will be my first clipper done in wood Rob...........I'm kinda excited about it.   glad to have you look'in in  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Nice progress Denis,if you are not aware of ,Steve Priske was building a lot of clipper ships.

https://plus.google.com/104959148215594881129

Steve is an email friend of mine and we converse as often as we can...he does a great job and is a great mentor.

Good call to post his google site.

Rob

Edited by rwiederrich

Current build:

Build log: https://modelshipworld.com/topic/25382-glory-of-the-seas-medium-clipper-1869-by-rwiederrich-196

Finished build:

Build log: of 1/128th Great Republic: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13740-great-republic-by-rwiederrich-four-masted-extreme-clipper-1853/#

Current build(On hold):

Build log: 1/96  Donald McKay:http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/4522-donald-mckay-medium-clipper-by-rwiederrich-1855/

Completed build:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/475-196-cutty-sark-plastic/

The LORD said, "See, I have set (them) aside...with skills of all kinds, to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver, and bronze, to cut and set stones, to work in wood, and to engage in all kinds of crafts."

I'll have to take a look.....thanks for the info  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I can't say much, but Steve is dealing with his mothers failing health and has taken time off from his modeling sites for a time. He also recently moved.

Rob

Edited by rwiederrich

Current build:

Finished build:

Current build(On hold):

sorry to hear that.......I've looked at the site.......he had some really impressive models there   ;)   I have some parts for the Billings Danmark......I have the plans and one of these days,  I'll have the parts panel diagrams blown up to the scale of the model.  but,  that's a future pipe dream   ;)

I did get a little more done to the hull.......doing a bit more today.   more planking is being done...now that I've gotten below the deck line,  I made sure that the deck is cemented well to the bulwarks {outer hull wall}.  one thing I forgot to do,  was line the deck platform for planking.   I lined off at each post,  and then lined off the halfway points.

post-612-0-49696700-1484070548.jpg

I got this tool a while ago....I've hardly used it,  since I do most of my cutting with the miter box {I've worn out three of them so far}.   these blades are saws, some are fine and some are coarse 'rip blades'.  they are also very thin.

post-612-0-48813700-1484070050.jpg

with the bulwarks formed,  I decided to try this saw and see how well it does.   as mentioned,  I'm not accustomed to cutting them out.  I feel the posts give the bulwarks a bit more strength.   

post-612-0-04576000-1484070299.jpg

the tool worked quite well.......a bit of sanding,  and there you go.  planked over,  the posts will disappear !   I decided to do every other one......I left the others for handling purposes.   making sure which ones held the fore deck,  the front two were cut out.  I also found that I needed to fit the fore deck too.

post-612-0-89259400-1484070843.jpg

with a bit of sanding,  the deck was fitted.

post-612-0-30571500-1484070881.jpg

I wasn't pleased with how thick the frame part were.   I'm still not........especially along the aft deck.   It's not only the thickness,  but how far they protrude into the poop deck area.  it really cuts down on the room.  I cut these out as well.

post-612-0-80011000-1484072524.jpg

I will also beef up the bulwarks a little.   I followed the posts,  and they seem to slope downward towards the stern.   when I cap off the the stern....I'll do it then.

more on her soon  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I did a little bit more,  before moving on to the Syborn build.   the stern is going to be tough to make the planks bend upward,  in forming the counter / transom.   not wanting to crush the poop deck I came up with this idea.   fill it in.   this will not be seen.........so why not.   I had a small piece of scrap that fit perfectly.......shaped it to fit.......and cemented it in place.   it doesn't impede the rudder hole......so all is good  :)

post-612-0-00527200-1484095724.jpg

post-612-0-41660800-1484095736.jpg

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Hey Denis! I finally get to sit in on one of your builds from the beginning, well, sort of.....

Sneaking in and sitting quietly by the door so I dont disturb others when that cute little fuzzy pointy eared animal calls me away again. :rolleyes:

Sam

Edited by src

Current Build Constructo Enterprise

Looking good my friend :)

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Hey Denis

I'm most upset that I've missed the beginning of this build! Nonetheless, problem solved - I just pushed my way in and am dangling from the roof beams. I can still see, albeit a bit far away, though.

I'm looking forward to seeing you pull this one together!

Cheers

Patrick

Very Nice Sir,

Sergal/Mantua seem to have the same doctrine, no matter what.

The Bulwark extensions protruding above the False Deck, and now, the Stern....

(Same as the Cutty except a little smaller. :))

For the Stern on the C/S and other stuffI I used the Amati Heated Thingy, in the Soldering Iron, (Bulbous thing). soaked the Planks and steamed in the supplied wooden "Form."

With Hardwoods, the results are really good also, a satisfying "Crunch" as things are bent!! :)

(Apologies, I'm in no doubt preaching to the converted here.)

Cheers....HOF.

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

Amati/Partworks 1/200 Bismarck

A/L Sanson

don't worry Sam.........Gibbs loves everybody!  :)  good to have you following along!  either that,  or your admiral is a playboy bunny ^_^   if that's the case.....lucky man!

thanks OC!  :)

awwww.....you haven't missed much Patrick.   I like hull planking,  but it can be boring sometimes.   enjoy  :)

hey there Hof........besides Midwest,  this is the only other model brand I've tried,  besides Billings.   I'm finding it to have slightly different learning curves,  but it's not too tough to figure out.   so far,  I haven't had the need to soak planks........the counter / transom seems to be working out alright,  now that I filled in the stern tip.   it won't be but a few more planks,  and then I'll be head'in down the stem anyway.   and I'm really glad I chose to go with the wider thicker planking.......these thin planks would have been a nightmare.   oh well......with any luck,  I can get the hull planked quickly and get 'er squared away.

thanks everyone for the good word and the likes! 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I've put together an update for 'ole Thermie.........still in a kind of rough state.   I've done a bit of sanding......not a lot...just a nervous twitch I got.  it bothers me if I don't see glimmers of hope,  while I'm progressing  along.   so,  from my last update,  I was at this point with the planking.

post-612-0-77049100-1484322906.jpg

equal on both sides,  the counter area was pretty much planked,  making way for the planking of the transom.   this is to be done with vertical planking.   the planking at the counter did not go as well,  as I would have liked,  so the transom planking was beveled slightly at the root,  so they would fit better in the recess left all around.   there are a couple of chiggers,  where the planking cracked and broke,  but with a bit of filler,  they will be gone.  it looked like a pick-ed fence.

post-612-0-93301800-1484323736.jpg

post-612-0-06208200-1484323758.jpg

some sanding made it look a bit better.   I was critical with the deck line inside.......I have one picture,  where this area looks like it was carved....and not very defined either.   I have what I want to do here in my head.....if it works out,  I'll be a happy camper.

post-612-0-74635800-1484324009.jpg

a little more sanding was done,  before I gave it a haircut.   it was left with a rise,  so I can add to the bulwarks and level them off to the poop deck.

post-612-0-23098100-1484324151.jpg

from here,  I settled on the starboard side,  and began planking to the keel.   I'll get one side done....and then the other.

post-612-0-70191800-1484324248.jpg

after a while,  the starboard showed a noticeable difference to the port side....best seen in this view.

post-612-0-49309900-1484324394.jpg

so now,  it's focus on this side and close 'er up.   then I;ll have a good idea of what to do for the other side.

post-612-0-52316600-1484324576.jpg

still planking away........making sawdust  :)

Edited by popeye the sailor

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I saw the popcorn are they gone or stale now?

I like this build so I am joining the spectator group.

Edited by Nirvana

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

welcome Dr. Per.........I consider it an honor  :)    I hope you brought your couch with you  :D   I may need therapy  ;)   I hope you enjoy.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Hey Denis...making fine head way I see, a quick question in your last post you mentioned working the stbd side then moving to port...any specific reason for this?  I usually work plank by plank one side then the other?  Is there any advantage to working up one full side?

THX

J

Denis,

I couldn't find a couch to bring along, but I think the chaise lounge would be good. Hmm therapy, well the office is always open even though I may not be in ;)

Respectfully

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

hello J  welcome to the log on this fine vessel  :)    I do it both ways actually.   I've gone down the frame enough.......I don't think there's much of a threat that it will warp out on me.   it's not a big hull either.  I just concentrated on one side.......which is done now.  folks do both sides at once,  so both side can be done alike.   once stained,  the planking shows and looks more appealing to the eye.   where this hull is to be painted,  it's really not going to matter much at all.   I have a few visible plank line that I need to get rid of,  since I plan not doing the second planking.   I have a good idea of what I want the hull to look like,  I should flip the plans over {I have them pinned to the wall},  and work on the structures.   they are similar to what your doing,  but I have some photo etch,  that I got for it.  I will most likely assemble them both ways and see how they look.   the extra ones won't go to waste..... :ph34r:

not a problem Dr. Per.......as long as your comfy  :)   enjoy  

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

thanks Patrick........I have been trying to do a little planking over the week end....but I haven't  been able to.   that's OK........tomorrow is my 'Friday'.......playtime is coming!   I was confused at first to your post.......then I realized what you meant.   I still have to level out the aft bulwarks,  and then I can sand it to the proper height.    then she'll look nice 'n trim.   thanks for the good word  :)

thanks for the likes too!  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

the timeline that I left on the Syborn log is true...........I spent my days planking the hull.   some of the pictures didn't come out as well as I would have liked........but it's OK,  I guess.   all the less of my shoddy planking,  that you'll need to endure.

the port side looks scary,  but it sanded out reasonably well.   I opted to concentrate most of the tapering within the belly of the beast.   this benefited the bow more than the stern,  which still needed a stealer or two.

post-612-0-83843400-1484833860.jpg

this side finished off reasonably well.......and then it was on to the starboard side.   while I was planking the starboard side,  I added the filler plank I wanted to do to fill in the aft bulwarks.   once set up.....there were periodical checks to insure that there were no gaps {like the one shown here}........I kept pressing the piece back down,  since there wasn't much to clamp to.   I will need to add a little filler here later on to smooth it out,  before painting.   at this time though,  I'll fill the gaps with cement,  in the hopes that it will make the bond stronger.

post-612-0-06825300-1484834646.jpg

I did the same here,  with regards to the tapering,  only changing it up a little,  to use up the short pieces of planking that were beginning to multiply.

post-612-0-64405400-1484835007.jpg

to break up the manotany,  I made the stand.  I will need it soon   :)

post-612-0-72729800-1484835092.jpg

the end came.........the last plank.   this side didn't work out as well as the other side.......the garboard plank was done in three sections.   the line was still a bit uneven at this point.   sanding will hide it best.......good that it's down under,  and not in a visible area.   I did some sanding as well.........the thicker planking worked well for this........I was able to sand out most of the non-conformaties. 

post-612-0-36030200-1484835520.jpg

the next couple of pictures didn't come out as well,  so I deleted them.   I'll show the hull results later.......there are some repairs to do,  but the sanding isn't done either.   I did it at my desk...........sand a bit........tap the keel on my garbage can to release the dust........and then blow and wipe.   I spent time looking for life boats........I've pulled the trigger on four that Amati offers....I hope they are right.   I signed on with Eduwards........they have the railings that I will need.  yes......I am going to do a bit of bashing..........and from the looks of what I've done since the hull,  there will be a lot of it.  the fore structure was assembled.........not too keen on the process.   I found the parts out of sync with each other.......sides too big and roof too small.   I wasn't going to have any of that.....so,  I made a roof for the structure,  with outcroppings all around.   

post-612-0-58676000-1484836925.jpg

the photo etch stuck in my mind.........this isn't like ordinary photo etch.   the plate is thick at the parts,  but thin all around them.   they are not cleanly cut either.......I used a razor blade to score around them,  so I could remove them from the plate.   the edges needed to be filed,  to remove the jagged feel.

post-612-0-68860900-1484837213.jpg

the galley structure was even worse........the parts didn't even follow the roof outline,  which {it too} was too small for the structure.   I wondered about the other gentleman who built this model........I wondered if he made allowances for these problems,  or if he settled for how it went together,  thinking that the instructions must be right.   it's enough to make a person want to go rogue  :ph34r:  :ph34r:

post-612-0-09835200-1484837593.jpg

post-612-0-39208300-1484835092.jpg

Edited by popeye the sailor

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

how in the heck did that happen..........the second photo of the stand!!?!?!?!?!   the world may never know  ;)

I have a feeling that this kit is going to be  one giant experiment.......you know.......like a trip through Alice in wonderland....so many questions.   I kinda hoped it would be like the Wizard of OZ,  where all I had to do,  was follow the yellow brick road  :D  :D   hey......I'm laughing........it won't be the first time,  I've walked away fro a set of instructions.

it took a while to remove all the structure parts from the metal etch.......then to insure that they lay flat.

post-612-0-43821800-1484839155.jpg

then I made a second fore structure from 1/32 flat stock.   1/16 square strip was put in the four corners to strengthen it.

post-612-0-35215300-1484839255.jpg

the roof was made larger than the first one.......I will try and salvage the other one later,  depending on........... :rolleyes:   the outer plates were added to both structures........each with their own less than desirable results.

post-612-0-07596900-1484839766.jpg

the wood structure is obvious........the roof is too small.  the plates ate up the outcropping I gave it.   now if I had done this with some mahogany {similar to Nenad's superb work},  it might not have been so drastic or thick.  I even gave it some though.....perhaps with the use of a paper punch ;)     I wasn't thrilled with the corners........but in this case,  it's an easy fix with some 1/32 square stock.   the windows can be drilled out,  and window maker can be used to fill in the glass......or some sort of cello.   it's too bad that this is a small model.......I could have used some of those eyelets that I have.  not all of the parts are added to it at this time.

post-612-0-61102300-1484840712.jpg

the one clad in the metal plates is a little jazzier...........again the windows can be drilled out and given the same treatment.      I made the roof larger than the first one,  so I didn't loose the outcroppings.   I even tried to make up for the botched corners,  but I didn't do well enough....it still occurred.   they were touched up with gold paint to hide the wood.....I'm thinking that I might be able to make up some brass angles....or perhaps some round stock,  to fill them in.   

post-612-0-17842500-1484841106.jpg

I tried again to get some pictures of the finished hull.  there are few spots that need some love,  but I'm not done sanding and prepping the hull for paint yet.  the rails need to be added as well.

post-612-0-66478700-1484841394.jpg

post-612-0-87566500-1484841405.jpg

as for the aft deck bulwarks.........the other side filler plank was added.   it will be sanded down to an even height all around the stern.   I saw the way they want me to make the cap rail around the stern bulwarks........no thanks,  I think I can come up with a better way...one that doesn't involve piecing together ten or so pieces of flat stock.

post-612-0-63271000-1484841775.jpg

dummy me again...........forgetting to draw a center line down the deck!   bad enough that I forgot to do the plank stagger lines.   harder to do with the deck platform in place.   the fore deck in place {dry fit}.

post-612-0-31302100-1484841937.jpg

the bulwarks were hard to protect.........I had to repair them here and there,  throughout the planking process.  even though I had left some of them,  they were still prone to cracking.   the bulkheads were beveled inward slightly......even if I had left them all,  it likely wouldn't have stopped it from happening.   I can remove the rest of them now,  and sand them flush to the deck.   I may even remove the ones on the fore deck.

post-612-0-52831300-1484842833.jpg

looking in the box,  there are only a few wood parts left.   just about everything on the deck needs to be scratch built from strip stock contained in the kit.   I do have six parts though,  that I have no idea what they are for.  I have not seen them in the instructions so far........and I have flipped over the sheet on the wall.   I will have to review the first side,  to make sure I've done everything on that side of the sheet..........what there is of it,  is pretty much textbook to me  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

John, as I can see all of Popeyes pictures shows properly on my side.

Respectfully