popeye the sailor

Thermopylae by popeye the sailor - Sergal/Mamoli - 1:124 scale

282 posts in this topic
4 hours ago, popeye the sailor said:

well then.......click away,  my good friend! :) 

at the moment,  i'm holding a piece of mahogany down with two fingers.  that leaves me with one good hand........let's see if I can pull this off.   the holds are done now......rather than risk them sticking to the table again,  i did them right on the deck.   the front and rear parts were cemented to the deck first,  then the sides.

58c3333e743ae_5.jpg.7723787cf7ee53b42a1f39525d7b6997.jpg

58c3337117b90_6.jpg.f6fb8cf0b43703c73e78b11c86db27d3.jpg

58c333830df64_7.jpg.8b65d599952b722b7abd6243613a0122.jpg       

Looking good denis  very very nice building work going on here.

OC.

hello all! :)   sorry for the silence......I just wanted to get through my work week.   now that it's done and behind me,  I can look forward to some extended time off......I took the upcoming weekend off.   I didn't stop at the last update.......I'm sure there are a few more pictures in the camera.   I'll dig them out and post them.

hello Pat......a funny thing happened on the way to the trawler.   I was painting the buoys........but I had the structures on my desk,  and I ended up tinkering with them instead.   I will get back to the Syborn very soon.........I've done everything that was bugging me about the Thermopylae.   now I can plank the deck........that'll boggle my mind with all the small pieces I'll have to cut {I'll NEED a distraction}.   I did get a chance to try Michael's Idea..........

thanks Patrick.......I feel the same way about the like button. :)  

thanks OC :)  

welcome aboard Dave........enjoy ;)  

I just cleaned out the camera and there were these four pictures.   I accented the holds and the bulkheads in flat green...it should go nicely with the outer hull color.   the layout is outlined in mahogany, so the main deck is ready for deck planking.   the fore deck and the poop deck will follow.   enjoy :) 

58c73aee30c03_1.jpg.b30a5e429f2c4faf56df64367a7321f2.jpg

58c73afb308e6_2.jpg.aca3f300dd4ff59009569b51af817571.jpg

58c73b093098e_3.jpg.3546a716b90631c496bcf370cc4c6ccd.jpg

58c73b1792145_4.jpg.3f4ce8520060eb0c04eeabe35a830801.jpg

I still need to do the hold tops........tomorrow :) 

rafine, donrobinson, src and 14 others like this

I'm doing OK Pat.......last week was fun for me.  it felt good to be back at it.   I'm working on the hold tops  {as promised}......should have them done by this evening.   that bulwark issue I had {the cracked port side} is totally gone!   they are as sturdy,  as if they still had the posts :)   I'm very happy about that.  gotta get back to painting those buoys....only forty-something beads in two colors...how hard can that be!?!?!?!   I'll get that trawler build up and moving again ;)     thanks for the good word,  and thanks for asking 'bout how I am.......very thoughtful :) 

thanks to every one for the likes......still look'in for the ship in this box........I know it's in here somewhere! :D 

src, Omega1234, Jack12477 and 6 others like this

I didn't get as far as I would have liked yesterday........I was site surfing while I was making the hold covers.   I got as far as getting them trimmed and planked,  and then giving them the stain.

58c99e1459241_1.jpg.e5f2a06c0d521693ed75abf9f96118db.jpg

this morning,  I gave them the lacquer coat and set them aside to dry.

58c99e460c39c_2.jpg.e4ed0b938e0b6cd40a86eba1fd4a951c.jpg

FINALLY!!!!!!!!!!   I was able to get back to painting the buoys for the Syborn!   happy, happy,  joy.....joy! :)     when they were dry,  they were dry fitted on the deck.

58c99ea1a0b06_3.jpg.655dbbba75a71d2260faf04976ada518.jpg

58c99eb1ba6b0_4.jpg.fb69d3220db5e9266acc16f5d46dd6cb.jpg

I have a picture of the aft most hold cover,  to show with the relation to the bulkhead that I painted the flat green.   when the deck is finally planked and lacquered,  and the outer hull is painted,  I think this will be a nice blend of green.  that's why I painted the flat green sparingly along the entire deck layout.   I had a second though of putting the aft cabin on the deck.......instead,  here is that picture.

58c99f7b884c2_6.jpg.b4bb851f81c653ab099cc2a25a6da325.jpg

I still need to accent the aft bulwarks and deck with the annegre and mahogany.........I can't wait to try and make the piece to go around the transom.   the cap rail will be the same process.

Nirvana, russ, mtaylor and 16 others like this

That's awesome Chap!!

Are you going to do "Lifting Rings" also for the Hatch Covers?

(Detail stuff)

Cheers....HOF.

EJ_L, Nirvana, donrobinson and 4 others like this

thanks for the kind comments and the likes.   that's an interesting question Hof.......on clipper ships like the cutty,  they are also covered with a tarp of sorts.   I'm not going to do that.....I'd rather show the hold covers as they are.   it would be hard pressed to find rings that small.........let alone try to attach them.   but in reading your question,  I seem to have come up with a cool solution.   of course, they don't supply anything for this in the kit,  but I do have some really small eye bolts.   they are copper colored though,  but I don't think it will matter in this case.  all I would need to do is bend the rings over 90 degrees and drill holes to install them.   four per cover should do the trick ;)   what do ya think of that?

thanks Don and Patrick :)    I think I'm starting to warm up to the kit  {take my temperature.......is that possible?!?!?!?!}

I'm beginning the deck planking.......first thing I looked at was how the bow spirit fit through the knight head.   though this won't be seen,  due to the fore deck and windlass,  I wanted to make sure I ran the planking far enough under the fore deck.   I'm still hesitant about cementing in the fore deck because of the hawse holes for the anchors.  I've been looking at Cyril's model,  and they appear to locate below the main deck platform.......inaccessible if this is true.   the study continues...........and so does the deck planking ;) 

thanks again to all interested :) 

Coming along nicely, mate!

Beware rings on hatch boards!  As shown on most kits they would tear the hatch covers to shreds.  Hatches on sailing ships had individual boards that could easily be lifted by hand.  This type of board persisted well into the power driven ship era except that some later hatch boards had lifting rings that were inset into the board so that they would lie flush with the board when not in use.

Below are a couple of photos that show hatch boards.

58cafb79b6f2b_HatchBoard1Standarde-mailview.jpg.51ad29637bafed04b7edfc1d6bd32e32.jpg58cafb7dc8013_scan0001Standarde-mailview(2).jpg.a7ed075eecb1a76444832d0db0fb82b5.jpg

rybakov, dadodude, hof00 and 4 others like this

thanks Russ :)   at the moment I'm planking the main deck.   I'm using 0.5 x 3 mm blonde {koto, obetchi, or basswood.....anyone's guess}.....and wouldn't you know it,  the edges are rough.   so,  I'm having to sand the edges of every strip I use.   fun like this should be outlawed!  but all 'n all.......it's going fairly well.   pictures soon.   thanks for the good word :) 

so........nothing on the hold covers?   I could do a test piece and show you what I want to do....see if it's OK.   although....as I recall,  Cyril's model had something like that on his.   I'm sure his model is a larger scale than what I'm working with.   I just checked,  and his model is 1/8" to 1'.........not sure of the scale.

dadodude, EJ_L, russ and 3 others like this

Denis, WRT hatch covers I would say it depends on how you wish to depict her.  If you are fitting sails (at sea) then the hatch covers (canvas) would have been fitted.  If in harbour, just arrived or ready to sail) you could go either way (canvas on or off), but if depicted as in port at anchor/alongside then the canvas would have been off in most circumstances with some of the hatch covers open for loading/unloading?

I would also go with the flat bar handles as John has shown if you do not fit canvas sea coverings (to protect the cargo)

More decisions ;) sorry mate.

cheers

Pat

2 hours ago, popeye the sailor said:

thanks Russ :)   at the moment I'm planking the main deck.   I'm using 0.5 x 3 mm blonde {koto, obetchi, or basswood.....anyone's guess}.....and wouldn't you know it,  the edges are rough.   so,  I'm having to sand the edges of every strip I use.   fun like this should be outlawed!  but all 'n all.......it's going fairly well.   pictures soon.   thanks for the good word :) 

so........nothing on the hold covers?   I could do a test piece and show you what I want to do....see if it's OK.   although....as I recall,  Cyril's model had something like that on his.   I'm sure his model is a larger scale than what I'm working with.   I just checked,  and his model is 1/8" to 1'.........not sure of the scale.

Clamp 20 of them together like a book and sand all the edges on one side at once on a nice flat surface! Then reclamp and do the other side. Doing them one by one would be very annoying. I'd use a piece of 3/4" with a rabbet cut into it to hold 20 or so pieces with them just proud of the surface, then split that in half on my table saw and drill and install telescoping brass rod and tube so they can slide. Put pieces in, clamp with c-clamps.

Hello Popeye

Glad to here that you have recovered and are back in your Old Ship Yard again. Great job you are doing on your Deck Housing and Hatches along with all of that very fine detail that you are adding sure will make her very special,                                                                               ENJOY.

Regards   Lawrence 

my......what a fine kettle of fish?!?!?!   

thanks for the conversion John..........so that would make her as large as the Revell kit........3 feet long!    WOW!!!!

thanks Pat.   we do have an idea how small these hold covers are....right?  it would be a feat to do......although it's not impossible.  not only that......in the picture I showed,  I have the boards running the same direction as the deck planking.   I'll have to see if I can fit them to run the other way.  I wasn't going to do the canvas thing........else I wouldn't have put all that time into them.   yep...more thought needed....thanks again! ;) 

I dunno Vossie........don't want to build the space shuttle :D    I could make something of a jig with what I got here on the table..........but it's not really worth it.   I'm about half done now......the aft deck and fore deck won't take much at all.  so,  for the small inconvenience,  and how big the task is.....I'll just trudge on through ;)  thanks for the thought and idea though....I appreciate it!

thanks Lawrence........yup,  all better now,  and back at it :)    I'm chasing my own tail on this one..........but as I said.......there's a ship in this box somewhere.......I'll find it sooner or later. :)   thanks for the good word!

I just thought of an amusing idea........use a paper shredder.....to make planks!   :D  :D   

I was like paint with this ship yesterday.......I was all over it! ;)   I began planking the main deck..........starting at the bow.   there is a big opening for the bow spirit......I wanted to make sure it would fit in there OK.   I had to file the angle in the knight head hole,  and got to see how much of it was really needed for the root.

58cbea281df10_1.jpg.71b8a4e737d9e0e239b8be66c6dd02e7.jpg

more planking ensued,  filling in the area under the fore deck.   I knew I'd need to be creative with some of the planks......odd cuts and shaping.   here's one of the odd planks I had to make.   the calking is done with an archive pen.

58cbeb4ed8c58_2.jpg.0c8cff9afb4e3289dc1314199614bebe.jpg

I use the clothes pin to hold the planks as I do the calking.  I had to make one for the starboard side............it's in place here.

58cbecc20ac43_3.jpg.5027d1eabc245959459a302eceb29af9.jpg

I just filled in what would be seen under the fore deck.  with the windlass and pump in place,  this may not be seen as much.

58cbed57e7c5c_4.jpg.2f19f53b902c37c2fec37271cdc7bd53.jpg

I had filled in all around the first hold...then I had to rip it up,  due to messing up the mast hole.   at the other end of the ship,  the aft bulwarks were getting the inner planking done.  using a piece of the wide mahogany 0.5 mm flat strip,  I tried making the waterway that runs around the transom.   tracing the shape of the stern on the mahogany,  I tried to hand draw the inner border.....I didn't do too good

58cbef737367a_5.jpg.59b4702d4bfee911017bac7ea397a116.jpg

I took the cut out and cleaned it up.   after tracing another stern outline on the mahogany,  I used it to trace the inner cut out.

58cbefc8d8e8d_6.jpg.3d65b64d71b6c764c64ccb67484eb0ab.jpg

this stuff is very brittle.......it put up a fight......broke a couple of times.........but I was able to rough out the part I need.

58cbf03fe1055_8.jpg.90c7d41d8f3d43a59f303c92cba5bf8f.jpg

both sides of the aft bulwarks are done.....

58cbf09fc17f1_7.jpg.ca99a11f29cc423a86310b60b9744d0c.jpg

hey Don.....yea,  I got a bunch of 0.5 x 25 x 550 mm strips of that mahogany.   to cut it up like that can be a pain....it splinters like crazy.   now I need to sand and shape it.......that will be another trilogy.    I use an archive pen to do the calking.  I get 'em at Hobby Lobby.....they have a huge selection.   some are for calligraphy,  sketching and drawing.   the brand is Faber - Castell...med to fine tip.

Omega1234, dadodude, src and 3 others like this

You could get better deck planking material at Hobby Lobby as well. They sell packages of premilled basswood strips that are ideal for decking. No scary edges to deal with.

Russ

I know they carry basswood and balsa...........never seen thin strip though.    I'll have to look.    may save me an order to Billing USA.....that's where I get my planking wood.     

mtaylor, EJ_L, Omega1234 and 1 other like this

Great start on your deck planking! I like the use of the mahogany for the edges. Really makes them pop out at you and adds a little something extra.

dadodude, russ, mtaylor and 2 others like this