Harriet Lane by jct - FINISHED - Model Shipways - scale 1:144

window frames look cool.........like something you'd see in a factory structure ;)     are the window panes small enough?

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Thanks for all the likes,,,they are a little on the large side for this scale, but I'm thinking once painted and glazed it wont be that noticeable, plus all the skylights will be a consistent size and shape...should be more pleasing to the eye, least that's my thought...we will see, hopefully I'll get to them this weekend but the chores have staked up here what with all the chaos at work!

The instructions warn against warpage so I plan to primer with a solvent base rather them acrylic prior to removing them from the frames...I'll be sure to post pics

I hear you about work........this is the last day of my vacation.   I'm afraid of what I'll find when I get back.   look'in at a week's worth of unsettled weather to boot!.....at least I was off for the big storm that hit us the other week ;)     haven't tried it before,  but I don't think an acrylic would stick to P.E. very good,  since it's based with water.  I would suggest good 'ole enamel,  or suspension based paint.   looking forward in seeing your results :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Thanks everyone for the likes...ya Pop you guys got blasted big time, we were primed for it here but it split and went right around us...crazy,

well I did get some time to play with the new window frames, got them primed and started the build up process...pics and commentary follow: 

Primer coat

58d595bedf44a_138-primercoat(1).JPG.c77a1bd4083fe2ee81da804200d32bfc.JPG

Separate frames cut from the support frame

58d595bf64fc6_139-seperateframes.JPG.13e0b854b6d271f88d5fff02cebec959.JPG

They were then glued together at the center 

58d595bfe86ce_140-gluedpairs.JPG.a26ebb861566f84aace5929d52acdb30.JPG

Two sets were trimmed down to two panes per side and the third left at three, the were then glued together at the correct angle to match the desired pitch for the deck house where they will ultimately live.

58d595be5a0f6_141-glueduppeaks.JPG.03ce3e7d5873ecb1dbb181da60b78e72.JPG

These little guys are definitely fragile so I'm letting them set overnight before I do anything else with them, plan to strengthen the peak joint with CA once they firm up a little.

That's it for now, as always thanks for your time and attention

J

Hi JCT, this looks a great kit, I considered this prior to the Chaperon and Picket Boat #1 I went with. It looks to be a lot of fun to build, ok if I follow along, I have a feeling this might be my next un'.

I think it is listed as entry level, don't look like an entry level to me!!!

All the best Len

Glad to have you aboard Len...the build has been fun but has its challenges as well, I think if you just built it up as the instructions recommend it could be considered a beginner kit...but I'm afraid i'm way to far round the bend for that...Did you post a build log of your Picket?  That was a really fun build too

9 hours ago, jct said:

Glad to have you aboard Len...the build has been fun but has its challenges as well, I think if you just built it up as the instructions recommend it could be considered a beginner kit...but I'm afraid i'm way to far round the bend for that...Did you post a build log of your Picket?  That was a really fun build too

Hi J,

I'm just wrapping up the final details on Chaperon, I should be starting the Picket Boat in about a week's time. Really looking forward to that. I found some interesting build logs on the Picket, your's amongst them, thx for that.

I will be watching with interest, enjoy yourself.

Thank you all for all the likes and comment...appreciate them all,

Just a short update...great weather here today and I'm trying to take advantage and get a lot done, so I'm running between projects :D  

The skylights have been strengthened and trimmed to their final size

58d6ce109acad_142-finalsizing.JPG.2c5f38a714cda5cb5441e3ee155eee54.JPG

The deck houses were prepped by just blacking out the interiors and the skylights were painted with a couple coats of white

58d6ce0a8a248_143-Paintedreadytoglaze.JPG.d8cc7141204e21686d40ce25449346ee.JPG

Well that's all for now (told you all it was short) hopefully more tomorrow

THX again

J

now it will depend on what your going to use to fill in the glass panes.   it might be good to use white glue......it will be a cloudy clear.   I've come across tinted film.........the type they use on car windows.  that might work in your favor as well.   good progress thus far ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Hi Denis...plan is to use Microscale Kristal Kleer, similer to white glue in application but is just that crystal clear

that stuff sounds a lot like the Testor's window maker I use.   I love the stuff........it even will cement clear parts in place.   awesome!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Thanks everyone for the likes...Denis I suspect it is the same, different manufacturer, different name, but the same...I've used it on clear parts as well, for those unfamiliar...it's fairly easy to use, dip a toothpick in the bottle and run it around the opening you want to "glaze" and let it dry, Pics show the results

58dae4f8771d3_144-glazingthewindows.JPG.4a3c14bf0e81c0c153df61f7183d379c.JPG

58dae4ea44cea_145-allfilledin.JPG.0e90bcf3341c725b00f328321b20c744.JPG

Complete and dry

58dae4ef2309c_146-dryclear.JPG.0ccf342f9d8401408dbbdeed2de5ee57.JPG

Still a little touch up needed on these guys...two more skylights to make then its on the the fidley grates, unless I jump to finishing the main hull, depends on how the meat hooks feel after all this little stuff:P

Thanks for looking in,

J

Great job on the skylights. I've never used that Krystal clear before but it sounds like it's magic. Top work.

Regards, Scott

Current build: 1:75 Friesland, Mamoli

Completed builds:

1:64 Rattlesnake, Mamoli  -  1:64 HMS Bounty, Mamoli  -  1:54 Adventure, Amati  -  1:80 King of the Mississippi, AL

1:64 Blue Shadow, Mamoli  -  1:64 Leida Dutch pleasure boat, Corel  -  1:60 HMS President Mantra, Sergal

Awaiting construction:

1:89 Hermione La Fayette AL  -  1:48 Perserverance, Modelers shipyard

look'in good J........the black does nicely.  it works well with the krystal clear to show depth.   I know what you mean by all the small bits.   depending on the model,  I can stay on them.........I love to outfit the deck.  I did the same thing with my latest project.........tiny bits.   I turned to the hull ;)    I can do the rest of them at my leisure now.   

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Thanks to everyone for all the likes, I enjoy the deck furniture as well, adds life to the project...I'm thinking I will jump of to the hull, give the hands a break (arthritis) plus I'm kind of anxious to copper the hull...the kit comes with some 1/2 inch foil but that's hit the spares box.   I plan to use some thinner stuff from my stained glass supplies, will save the hassle of trimming the width.

Thanks much Len...I have attempted to use white glue but I found the consistency of the normal stuff is too thin to work for me, there may well be a trick to it I'm unaware of though...

Hi everyone,

An update on the HL...I decided to stick with the lil stuff and finished the two additional skylights for the top of the pilot house, construction was the same as those already complete so not much else to say about those....I then turned my attention to the fiddey grates, a bit of research was required on my part as I had no idea what these suckers were or what they should look like...seems they are basically just grates that covered ventilation shafts/spaces surrounding the stack, best description I could find..."the vertical space above a vessel's engine room extending into its stack, usually covered by an iron grating. Also applied to the framework around the opening itself"

So with that in mind I started to work...

I wanted to represent the iron bars which is kinda what the plans show, so I used 1/8 in making tape to group toothpicks together, the tape was to serve two purposes...to hold everything together and serve as size guides for cutting

58e560d50606a_147-toothpicks.JPG.ea00a356bf9e5b9b73482463a6f026aa.JPG

148.JPG.d3a096d154d6b548d16f216f133c91a9.JPG

Once everything was trimmed down the individual "grate" received a coat of black paint

58e560dd3d9fb_149-fiddleygrates.JPG.c58cec94dc3c58fd8a1abec4224727ea.JPG

at this point each grate was framed out with some walnut from the spare box

58e560d11250f_150-trimingout.JPG.f7e76a360923dec4a00723fc46b3d41d.JPG

151-complete.JPG.30f92b39d673646a8e188ed02fd0787b.JPG

they need a little touch up and a clear finish on the frames...that's all for now, thanks for your time and attention

J

pretty cool idea J ;)   are you going to cement them over the opening,  or cement them in flush?

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Good question Denis...they go on the roof of the pilot house surrounding the stack, the plans show them raised slightly above the surface of the roof, so they may just sit there...i'm gonna mock up all the deck furniture later today...I'll see what it looks like then decide

obtw thanks for the likes

J

if you used 1/16 x 1/16 strip stock to box them in,  and you use 1/16 for the roof,  then you would do well to place them on top.   but,  if you used 1/32 flat stock for the roof,  you could make the openings larger,  and place them in flush mount,  leaving them raised slightly.   if you use 1/32 for the roof though,  you may want to frame it a little.......it will be a bit flimsy ;)

this would be a good idea for helm floor grates too.......or even additional vents.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Here is the mockup promised earlier... I already see the framing around the fiddley grates  is too thick, it will get trimmed by a good half of its current thickness, all else seems to fit ok, all current positions a approximate...when the time for mounting arrives measurements will be transferred off the plans...pics follow

THX for the likes

58e6a628894c2_152-deckfurnituremockup.JPG.c01c8fe484b281f78dc238ece97a1679.JPG

153-fwd.JPG.6fa6c13525194960154f6a4257adcb11.JPG

154-midships.JPG.526e9a947bd943d2a8a96f8ce4f4137c.JPG155-aft.JPG.42f09339d0b0281a915d314f116b04a4.JPG

looks really good J.......coming along great! 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

THX for the likes and comments...may be another few days till I get back to it...work is looming is ugly head yet again and a couple home projects will take priority...see you all in a few

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Wow...I haven't posted since April...sorry all, I do plan to finish this build, but now that the summer camping season is upon us, the weekends are totally consumed...and work is still work, so hopefully soon

J

enjoy.........the model will always be there waiting ;)  

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

• 4 weeks later...

Hi J. I just finished reading up on your Harriet build log. She's looking very nice. This model kit has intrigued me too for a long time. I have to say, your perseverance with that pilothouse was an inspiration to me. The end result is very good.

Enjoy your times camping.

Steve

completed models:

Shenandoah (Corel)

waiting on the shelf:

La Sirene (Corel)

Half Moon (Corel)

Puritan (Mamoli)

Patsy (derisively): "It's only a model."

Arthur: "Sshhh."

Hi Steve...thanks for the kind words...I've always been kind of intrigued by these hybrid vessels... I was actually looking at that pilot house the other day and was bouncing a couple other ideas around in my head but I'd have to get another copy of the paper stuff supplied with the kit to execute, so maybe I'll just leave well enough alone :P.  Camping is always great for us, super relaxing...RVing really, no tents for the Admiral.  Great to have you back on the site , your Shanandoah is looking great

J