Harriet Lane by jct - FINISHED - Model Shipways - scale 1:144

Hey Denis...ya they are they will spin in the stropping I applied, just thin wire...I think the challenge is going to be try to clean the holes out to rig them...got some repair work to do first though, she took a spill and one paddle wheel broke and picked up some scratches in the paint...thanks to all for the likes

J,

Check out these reamers at Micro Mark. I used them to clean out the holes on my dead eyes. You have to be careful you do not over size the holes but I found it much safer than a drill bit. Bits wanted to crack my blocks and dead eyes when they grabbed.

https://www.micromark.com/Micro-Size-Precision-Reamers-Set-of-6

Sam

Current Build Constructo Enterprise

sorry to hear that.......hate it when that happens  :(   hope it's not an extensive repair job.  good to hear about the dead eyes....I'm aware you've dealt with them before.  I should look at your Half Moon log...but since I'm here......did you order the triangular dead eyes for that project?   I'm thinking I should.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Ya really it's my own fault...need to learn to be more careful when a project reaches this stage...all repairs are complete and the first recoat of hull black is done.  

No I used all the kit deadeyes...they were the 3 hole variety...I've often wondered if they should have been the triangles, but I found the Half Moon difficult to find definitive info about.  It's my understanding that the Dutch did not work from drawings but fixed mathematical formulas when building, so there seem to be a lot of different interpretations out there of what a specific vessel may have looked like

I think triangles would look cool

Wow, J, old Harriet is really looking fine! What do you think about working at this small scale? Is it something you'd do again? I'm not sure my eyes work well enough to get the detail you're getting on this build.

Steve

completed models:

Shenandoah (Corel)

waiting on the shelf:

La Sirene (Corel)

Half Moon (Corel)

Puritan (Mamoli)

Patsy (derisively): "It's only a model."

Arthur: "Sshhh."

Hi Steve...it does have its challenges...just this morning I was crawling around looking for deadeyes from a poorly timed sneeze!!  It can be difficult to get the level of detail I'd like as well, but overall I enjoy it...masochistic tendencies? I can't say for sure?

The smaller scales allow more vessels in the limited storage space I've available, so I would definitely do it again.

Good to see you active on the site again...have you decided on your next build?  Based on your signature you've got some nice kits it the queue.

J

Funny, I hadn't thought about the storage issue, having only finished one model...Now that you mention it, it's a compelling reason to build at a small scale. I've got the old Model Shipways kit of the Gjoa at the scale of 5/32" = 1 foot, which seems quite tiny to me. I may give it a go if I work up the courage and maybe get a new pair of glasses. In the meantime I'm trying my hand at what I hope will be a simple scratch build of an 1870s New England waterboat.

Steve

completed models:

Shenandoah (Corel)

waiting on the shelf:

La Sirene (Corel)

Half Moon (Corel)

Puritan (Mamoli)

Hi Steve...the waterboat sounds interesting...if a bit of an oxymoron, give me a heads up when you start your build log I'd love a ringside seat

J

It is oxymoronic, isn't it? Like saying that you're building an air-airplane. I started the log yesterday. The waterboats supplied fresh water to the fishing fleet back in the old days. Just a simple harbor craft that looked like a good scratch build for a newbie.

Steve

completed models:

Shenandoah (Corel)

waiting on the shelf:

La Sirene (Corel)

Half Moon (Corel)

Puritan (Mamoli)

Short update...preparing to begin rigging the HL, got all the lower shrouds mated and served to their dead eyes...

shroud clamped to the deadeye

5ade550af38f7_281-servingthedeadeyestotheshrouds.JPG.fbfd6569f4f22ff7f7d78c49d4210a1b.JPG

and tied off

282-ditto.JPG.d49ca724de220cd50b9990193f83d252.JPG

then captured in this little serving jig

5ade550bb8102_283-servingjig.JPG.4f30300aa46a9bdc66ab120935210a8b.JPG

and completed

284-finished.JPG.53920b0077fa550c2cdc50e7fc857991.JPG

also spent some time preparing the masts, mounted the lower deadeyes to the tops..287.JPG.743a4b5cbf37b0c38bca025904b6e741.JPG

288.JPG.0dfa7e3da088e0ef316e211019a33e8e.JPG

289.JPG.275ef9582f7c1a6cf0d1771409ac5c0a.JPG

285.JPG

286.JPG

Beautiful intricate work, J. I really like the clamp setup you made with the alligator clips. I'll have to make myself one of those...

Steve

completed models:

Shenandoah (Corel)

waiting on the shelf:

La Sirene (Corel)

Half Moon (Corel)

Puritan (Mamoli)

Thank you sir...it does the job...I've actually gathered all the material I need to build a serving machine, just haven't gotten around to putting it all together...one of these days

Still getting all the little things done before stating to rig, finishing the shrouds, storping the blocks, prepping yards and gaffs, etc

super progress J........got most of your masting ready to go  :)    I have one of those helping hands......I've used it to some extent,  but I need to fasten it to the table somehow,  to be better effective.    there are no holes provided.   those little dead eyes are a bear aren't they ?!?!?!  ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Thanks to all for the likes and kind comments...the little dead eyes are slowly but surely adding to what I refer to as my natural highlights (gray hair):P  They proven to be a real challenge, I've got the upper shrouds tied off to the tops and the deads laced, but still have the mains to do...22 in total, (insert heavy sigh here) some pics follow

Dead eyes attache to the cross trees

288.JPG.cbf4d2508f06b8209db186a94c600042.JPG

rigging the yards

5aeb71a32d823_290riggingtheyards.JPG.b301b3be5aad8648f9824f28b0f47c61.JPG

5aeb71a17e7af_291-yardscomplete.JPG.87ac90203729a80b2d547128e55db365.JPG

I used the same cardboard and and thin wire technique I used on my Half Moon build to get the shrouds the right length

5aeb71a1e3332_292-settingtheuppershrouds.JPG.497ba05de2227ce87dc46cae38dc5c07.JPG

5aeb71a24ab80_293-readytoremovethefixture.JPG.1fa35acbe7d304df54cdbbb291cf55d1.JPG

and the  lacing the dead eyes...

5aeb71a2b3b2d_294-twodown28togo.JPG.d9ad0d4a6ead8247931c4286364ff01f.JPG

at this point all the upper shrouds are complete, I'm going to complete the ratlines on the formast before mounting them and moving to the lower shrouds...that will be next week sometime, the admiral and I are getting away for a long week end.  Thanks for looking in

J

290-dead eyes to the tops.JPG

enjoy................look'in good!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

An update...started the ratline on the foremast

5af4ad3d16c7d_294-twodown28togo.JPG.0d276d5d5273bf67fccb974420282737.JPG

5af4ad3d7c89d_295-ratlinesbegun.JPG.bafe9bf878f6fee4d5a6f4cc73da5673.JPG

once the first line was in place I used a little fixture based on an idea presented in this thread 

https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/14818-rat-line-tension-tool/

296-cont.JPG.40eab18d53c1cb6920cfeadc45fe73c3.JPG

its nothing more then a flipped mini cloths pin with the spring slot filed to allow the jaws to have a closer tolerance when closed, worked fairly well...

5af4ad3e41d07_298-andagain.JPG.44c26c18bff83243698485a6e2d8fcf9.JPG

...but the spacing was a bit too wide, so I went back and filled in the spaces

5af4ad3e9936f_298-fillingin.JPG.0c3dd8fd0905983b4cc7e2929db0cbc5.JPG

299-complete.JPG.dbb599b007b6a1dbf7f9acbf817a0cef.JPG 

well that's it for now the other side is half complete... thanks for looking in

THX

J

Edited by jct
spelling

Wow, J, that's some fiddly little work. Good idea with the mini clothespin. The rats are looking good!

Steve

completed models:

Shenandoah (Corel)

waiting on the shelf:

La Sirene (Corel)

Half Moon (Corel)

Puritan (Mamoli)

well done J :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Thanks for all the likes and the kind comments, a small update...after reviewing my last post I noticed I didn't include a pic of the clothespin I described...

301-.JPG.4eea193d01dae4bc94d61206208d9ed2.JPG

also got the main spar mounted on the foremast

5af888ad27d1a_300-mainspar.JPG.5a8a42a0678ade61b25f3947ee55f0d1.JPG

Not much to add still working the masts...getting as much of the rigging done off the hull as I can...hope to have pics tomorrow

8 hours ago, trippwj said:

Very nice work.  I enjoyed building the HL, though mine is not even close to your beauty.

Thanks much Wayne...there are plenty of glitches, the key is to photograph from the right distance :rolleyes::rolleyes:  Thanks to all for the likes, attached are the pics mentioned yesterday

5afdd1b3913bf_302-foremastrigging.JPG.7a1b89bbed9778c3c97933833246cb29.JPG

5afdd1a98d3cc_303-foremastcomplete.JPG.cb9b9e49a65ed5e4855cb8e16c9b2ccb.JPG

going to work on the main mast, then its back to the shrouds, and back stays, and bowsprit and etc....

lots of tiny parts J...............looks fragile ;)    very well done.......must have been trying to do all that tying.   super job J! :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

16 minutes ago, popeye the sailor said:

lots of tiny parts J...............looks fragile ;)    very well done.......must have been trying to do all that tying.   super job J! :) 

Thank you sir..."Fragile... Must be Italian." and here I thought she was American :P:rolleyes:

it has taken a while, a lot of starts and stops to keep from going bug nuts with the little stuff. 

THX to all for the likes and comments...nothing else coming this week away again for the weekend