Bluenose II by Heronguy - Artesania Latina #20500 - Scale 1:75 - 2nd build

Doug,

Thank you for answering my request with those perfectly taken pictures as well as the information of the tool.

upon close examination I couldn't help my imagination from running wild with it's multipurpose It's a must have.

now looking at my old sorry looking 3rd hand which I tossed out the window (should have opened the window first! LOL)

the Admiral decided for the sake of safety  to simply order for me a new 3rd hand just like yours, (amazing what a none needed fake bandaid can do after cleaning up broken glass Lol)

looking forward to this very nice build 

Jay

I decided that I would step the masts before rigging.  I gather that I may want to do rigging before the masts are stepped in more complex builds but I need the experience of rigging this way to convince me of the challenges before I abandon the "obvious" order.

My jig for getting the mast raked at the correct angle was very simple.  

DSC_9627.jpg.b22b046ad3da6cbc2aa255a6133d670d.jpg

IMG_2057.jpg.00ccd4c2cb2740023ab26c98051414e6.jpg

Doug

Current BuildsBluenose II - AKrabbenkutter / Prince de Neufchatel / Essex Cross-section / Syren / Barque Stefano / Winchelsea / Half Hull / Maria HF31 - Dusek / Bandirma - Turkmodel

On the Shelf: Santisima Trinidad and Cross Section / HMS Cutter Alert / Tender AVOS / Confederacy

Suspended Build: Bluenose II - Billing Boats Nr 600 

I am experimenting with a method for preparing the lower shrouds.  I like the appearance of the shouts being served both at the mast top and at the deadeye.  Using Syren Ship Company's Servo-o-matic it is easy to do the serving.  The experimental part, and the part I'm most concerned about if getting lengths correctly.

The experiment used some brown rigging line for the shroud and some black sewing thread for serving.

DSC_9642.jpg.dc50ba6dda829d61fbd00063cf7565fb.jpg

I measure the length I wanted for the shroud (actually 3 measurements - the length of the serving at the mast, the length of the serving at the deadeye, and the distance between the edges of those two servings - I call this the brown length).  

My 1st attempt was not spectacularly consistent as you can see.

IMG_2079.jpg.f4a4dbc9580a87caeaf4fb86ddf79696.jpg

For the 2nd try I refined my measurement methods and achieved better results.

DSC_9650.jpg.136092889b382fdf360bbc9a47051af1.jpg

DSC_9652.jpg.74c3a46ebc65a44cc3f50c88ee9aaa3d.jpg

DSC_9654.jpg.e9bd5b50b6062ae6594620a8a7382977.jpg

I'm supposed to have 15 mm between upper and lower deadeyes - looks pretty good.

So what's the problem?  Each pair of shrouds is going to rest on the previous ones at the mast.  That will change the length of the brown length.  Furthermore each deadeye is at a slightly different distance from the mast top.  So is this method too cumbersome and error prone - each shroud pair has to be individually measured.  

I can't see any easy (i.e. Serv-o-matic friendly) way of doing the serving at the deadeye ends after the shroud pair is on the mast.  If I could for the serving once mounted the deadeye spacing could be adjusted more easily.

Any pointers to other ways of accomplishing this?  On my previous build I tried using the deadeye spacing jig and seizing the shroud at the correct spacing - but in that build I didn't serve the lines at all.

Doug

Current BuildsBluenose II - AKrabbenkutter / Prince de Neufchatel / Essex Cross-section / Syren / Barque Stefano / Winchelsea / Half Hull / Maria HF31 - Dusek / Bandirma - Turkmodel

On the Shelf: Santisima Trinidad and Cross Section / HMS Cutter Alert / Tender AVOS / Confederacy

You can use much the same technique with served shrouds as you do with those that aren't served. Start with a longer-than needed piece of shroud line. Put it on your serving machine and serve only the center part that will go over the mast. Then, put the shroud on the mast and temporarily make the loop (hold it with an alligator clip). Then, using your deadeye jig to hold the deadeyes the right distance apart (note - your jig needs to hold two deadeyes at once), wrap the free ends of both shroud lines around the upper deadeyes. You can then mark where you want your serving to begin and end. Then put the shroud back on the serving machine and serve the ends between the marks. Then you put the shroud back on the mast, seize the loop at the masthead and then seize the loops at the deadeyes.

Note that the serving at the deadeyes come well above them as shown in the picture below. There should be two seizings as well. In your picture, the served part of the shroud is cut way too short.

Cheers -

John

deadeyes.jpg

John,

Very useful advice as always!  Thank you.  I'll do another dry run using your suggestions and then hopefully can make actual shrouds.  It will be nice to make forward progress not just sideways "progress". 

Doug

6 minutes ago, Tigersteve said:

Somehow I missed this build. Looks good. 

Steve

Thanks Steve.  I keep circulating between various builds.  Makes each of them proceed at snail's pace.  I'm following along on your Pinnace.

Doug

Looking good, it was my second build as well before I started the HMS Victory.  I learned a lot building it.  It was also Artesania Latina but apparently  the european version kit is quite different. 

Robert

I just read through your build Doug. You are doing a great job. I'm going to have to seriously consider building this kit someday.

Ian

12 hours ago, Bertu said:

Looking good, it was my second build as well before I started the HMS Victory.  I learned a lot building it.  It was also Artesania Latina but apparently  the european version kit is quite different. 

Robert

Hi Robert,  Thank you for the comment.  I looked at your build several times.  The use of natural finishes and the colour scheme is very lovely.  I did notice that there were a number of differences between my AL version and yours.  My kit was the older one and has a different AL kit number so I guess they did a major revision at some point.  I too feel like this has a lot to offer in the "learning department" although I suppose that comes with gaining experience on any build!

Doug

9 hours ago, Seventynet said:

I just read through your build Doug. You are doing a great job. I'm going to have to seriously consider building this kit someday.

Ian

Hello Ian,

Thanks for dropping by.  I'm following your Brazerra build with interest - I have a Marisstella kit on the shelf and I think the exercise in understanding plans will likely test me!

The Bluenose and Bluenose II are such important symbols to those who grew up here that I think all Canadian ship modeller's should build one at least once!  I think you'd enjoy the ship.

Doug

you've made some nice progress since I last looked in.   I made a small jig for the dead eye spacing......I don't serve my lines though.   I use different thickness threads to achieve pretty much the same outcome.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

• 3 weeks later...

Small disaster tonight.  Walking away from my work desk my sweater caught the bowsprit and the Bluenose II followed its predecessor and sank (i.e hit the floor.

IMG_2144.jpg.47259301985015c543d559ea987598b6.jpg

IMG_2147.jpg.bf227d12fe2f11fdb765767372b2c45d.jpg

Damage wasn't too bad   - the keel broke off along the glue joint (easy fix), the main mast and the bowsprit likewise can be easily reglued.  The anchor chains can be straightened out.  I thought I got off really really easily until I noticed that the hull had been holed.  Hopefully once filled, sanded and painted it will not be too noticeable a blemish.

IMG_2149.jpg.55960a667f63b113b382e039da2ca585.jpg

Lesson learned? - naked modelling?????

Doug

That's too bad! Very easy to do though. I snapped a mast off my Constitution by swinging my light around when it wasn't high enough to clear. In any case almost anything can be repaired.

Naked modelling? I'd be VERY careful with that. I have a tendency to drop my xacto knife a lot.

David

Current Build - St. Roch, Billing Boats; HMS Agamemnon, Caldercraft (on hold)

Previous Builds - Armed Virginia Sloop, Model Shipways; Constitution, Model Shipways; Rattlesnake, Mamoli; Virginia Privateer, Marine Model Co, restoration; Prince de Neufchatel, Model Shipways; Charles W. Morgan, Model Shipways; Pride of Baltimore II, Model Shipways, Bluenose, Model Shipways (x2); Niagara, Model Shipways; Mayfower, Model Shipways; Shamrock V, Amati; HMS Pegasus, Victory/Amati

Doug, 

Ouch for that crash, but it looks somewhat easy fix, it could had been worse.

I know you will fix it!

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

3 hours ago, David Lester said:

That's too bad! Very easy to do though. I snapped a mast off my Constitution by swinging my light around when it wasn't high enough to clear. In any case almost anything can be repaired.

Naked modelling? I'd be VERY careful with that. I have a tendency to drop my xacto knife a lot.

David

`

It's a strategy Ive developed over time - fix one problem and create two others - kept me thinking!

Fixed up everything but the small damaged hull area - I was lucky this time.

Doug

1 hour ago, Nirvana said:

Ouch for that crash, but it looks somewhat easy fix, it could had been worse.

I know you will fix it!

I wasn't even very upset by the upset.  I figure it is like a rite of passage for ship modellers.

Thanks for the encouragement!

Doug

• 5 months later...

This schooner has been languishing on the shelf for a few months awaiting the motivation to work on the rigging.  When the @xken's Ratliner tool was released I decided to give it a try.  My use of the Ratliner is documented in this forum.  The main mast shrouds were made that way.

Once the shroud set is placed on the model it is still necessary to reeve lanyards through the deadeyes.  This has in the past been a step I found straightforward in theory and frustrating in practice.  I found a small enhancement to the process that helped me a alot!

As recommended by others on MSW I use a piece of bent brass wire to temporarily connect the upper and lower deadeyes at the desired spacing.

IMG_2740.jpg.2f717769097ea409dd6b089f90e35b27.jpg

I've bee frustrated by the tendency of the wire to slip out before the lanyard is threaded.  Solution turned up in my daughter's earring box.

IMG_2741.jpg.d0c8c1e7ea908028623e0dd72ebf6197.jpg

On a cheap pair of ear studs there were these small rubber/plastic keepers.  Easy on, easy off, but no slip!

IMG_2737.jpg.21b008582add8fa9f675645aee5654da.jpg

With the pair on it was easy to wrap the bottom end of the shroud around the deadeye and clamp it to the shroud above and then proceed to reeve the lanyard.  Once the 1st wrap is made the keepers are removed so they don't interfere with the threading.  Works for me.

The foremast shrouds and ratlines were done in the usual way - shrouds 1st then tied the ratlines.  The mainmast shrouds were done with the Ratliner.  

IMG_2796.jpg.0277307eff9da850a8300ff676a45d8d.jpg

Don't worry about the forestay - I'll tighten it!

I'm looking forward to more rigging - gotta conquer it sometime so why not now?

IMG_2742.jpg

Doug

glad to see your getting back to this one.......you must have repaired all the damage {even the hull}.   I made up a tool similar......two pieces of wire soldered together with a handy dandy handle jutting out from the middle.   it will only do one size lanyard though,  so I want to make a couple other in different lengths.

5a6b4ec31abd0_lanyardtool.jpg.dcd1cc608898d3ce7f9f4d2ce1f67463.jpg

it can also be used to insure the center hole is in the correct position, on the dead eye in the channel {that is, if CA didn't get on it}.   you did a great job with this model......it will be good to see her finished  :)    I know it's not the right time of the year........but short sleeves or roll them up please  :cheers:

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Nice little jig popeye!  Getting the deadly (spelling correction is wonderful!) holes properly aligned has been a challenge for me.  Also I've found that the deadeyes provided with this kit were really poorly made - holes unevenly spaced.  I might have replaced them with better quality one but I was feeling pretty stubborn - they came with the kit so I'll use them!!  (bad attitude I fear).

Doug

Great idea with the ear ring backs, I've had the same problem in the past

part quality can be a pain......I'm not into waiting for parts,  unless it's for the inventory.   the part has to be really nasty,  for me to do it.   I was stubborn in the beginning.......but I got tired of guessing the shroud length.   they look more natural,, if they are off a little......but I started going too far out of whack for my taste  ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

• 2 weeks later...

On with some rigging.  

I figured that stays should be pretty substantial so I rigged with some .035" rope.

IMG_2829.jpg.0e3278ba3c846ffdfa24f8feb33a079a.jpg

but decided it looked way too heavy so I cut them off and redid them with some .025.IMG_2830.jpg.d3e4869ea2f6dd743454463317cd80ba.jpg

Much more to my liking.

Doug

• 11 months later...

To Heronguy:

I, also, am looking for the English instructions and the plans for Bluenose II model 20500.  I started it several years back and we have moved twice and lost the plans and instructions.  If you or anyone else has completed their model and would sell the plans or a copy, I would be most interested.  I live in Southwestern Ontario.

GBE

ebedw@hotmail.com

• 2 weeks later...

if your working on a Billing Boats kit,  you may be in luck.  just go to the Billing USA,  or the Billing Danmark site.  you should be abl to find what you need.......or you can even contact them:

http://www.billingboatsusa.com/

http://www.billingboats.com/

I have the plans for the Bluenose I

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 5 months later...