EJ_L

Le Soleil Royal Cabin Layout

While researching the cabin layouts for SR, I came across these three scans. While they are exactly what I was needing for the layouts I cannot read all of the words due to the scans being fuzzy. I don't care about the words being in French as I can translate that but, I do need them to be clear enough to read so I can translate. Any help in identifying the source of these scans so I can try to get answers there or if anyone has a better scan that would be great. Thanks!!

post-22933-0-81287800-1482261043_thumb.jpg

post-22933-0-65924000-1482261053_thumb.jpg

post-22933-0-37833700-1482261063_thumb.jpg

Archi, Canute and mtaylor like this

When you look careful you can see pieds and pouces. Have a look here for their current equivalents: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Units_of_measurement_in_France_before_the_French_Revolution

at floor level it is spelled longueur, at the sides you'll see haut(eur). Admitted, these latter measures are a bit hard to read ... but at least 5 p (pieds) 6 pouces at the lower left

Canute, EJ_L, mtaylor and 1 other like this

Thanks, Carl. I was thinking that was what the dimensions were and with one, I can come up with a scale for the rest.

I love researching these old ships but it would be nice to find a simple answer on occasion... :P  

Canute and mtaylor like this

The blur wasn't a problem, but there just aren't enough pixels here for some of the smallest letters. Regardless I've removed the blur to the extent possible without artifacting. You should be able to read all but a couple lines. At least I could if I was better with cursive French.

aumj9VC.jpg

Wow, annoying, MSW is resizing that image and reinducing some of the blur.

This one is pushed a tad harder to compensate. But as noted what you need is something twice this resolution to be certain on all the notes.

wXY5Dxl.jpg

Canute, cog, mtaylor and 3 others like this

Thanks for helping to clear those up. Getting even a few of the dimensions cleared up allows me to make reference points to scale the picture. From there I can get the rest of the dimensions. Just a matter of getting the equivalent measurement in either imperial or metric which was a simple thing thanks to Carl. To scale, I have a handy app on my phone which converts most measurements into any scale you want.

This is the Soleil Royal of 1669.

mtaylor, donrobinson and Canute like this

EJ,

A pouce is a thumb, not an inch (") it's 2.7 cm (1.066"),  It's funny, but those two French units (pied du roy, and pouce) were 1.066 times the size of their British equivalents

Top left segment of the wall looks to me 3p 5p. But you can verify that using the known length

29 pieds = 29*32.48 cm = 941.92

pieds 7*3 = 21 = 21*32.48 cm = 682.08

pouces 16+x 16*2.707 cm = 43.321

pieds + pouces = 725.401 <> 941.92  which means x should be 216.519 cm which is slightly over 2 meters!!! That is odd because when you look at the wooden bars which could be the difference, they,  considering the missing distance, should be 27 cm wide :blink: I'm missing something here

mtaylor, donrobinson, Canute and 1 other like this

Outstanding guys thank you!!

I'm running into the same addition problems you are. What you have translated out makes sense to me but I think something is off on this drawing. The main thing that makes me think that is at the doorway on the upper left. The opening is calling 4pieds, (4') yet the spacing measurement above between only equals 3pieds, 10pounces (3'-10"). From the way it is drawn, if the opening is truly 4' than the upper measurement should be closer to 4'-3" +/- 1". My guess is that something is either off in the way the ship's angles are compared to what is drawn or the measurements are not as accurate. Being that I work off of architectural plans everyday, I know very well how it is easy for something to get lost in translation or written in wrong. Unfortunately, S.R.'s architect is unavailable for questions at this time. :P

I know I can use what is here to get me in the right ballpark with what I am doing and make it look credible.

I do have another question that someone may be able to answer. On a lot of British models I have seen a checker diamond pattern for the floors. Does anyone know what if anything the french might have done or were they just the wood planking? This is something that I have not seen a good answer on and really wonder if they would have bothered with anything decorative on the floor in the 17th century. Was this just something that came about in later years?

Couldn't the upper wal part be narrower compared to the distance at floor level. At least when you look at the curves of the hull, (tumble home e.a.) ... just a thought

EJ_L, Canute and mtaylor like this

I thought it would be clear, but if not, my foot and inches marks up there are pieds/pouce and I don't think it's to scale, so I wouldn't try measuring the drawing itself.

EJ_L and mtaylor like this

E.J.

The top differs from the bottom width if you use 4 pieds as bottom distance between bars you'll get 7*4 = 28 pds * 32.48 cm/pds = 909.44cm which gives you a difference of 32.48 cm. This would result in bars of 4.06 cm wide. As the width between bars might not be equal all over the length of the wall it is still an acceptable assumption (although assumption is TMOAF) hat the top and bottom lengths differ, and you cannot use the measurements from the top for the bottom

Canute, EJ_L, mtaylor and 1 other like this

That is what I was thinking. Knowing that these are not scale drawings, I know they won't be accurate. to measure from. This will however give me a good idea on spacing and relativity for the various features and will eliminate a lot of guess work. I should be able to run with that and build something respectful to what she would have looked like. :)

cog and mtaylor like this