Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Worldway

Steering question about the Bluenose

I'm asking this question out of pure curiosity.  Why does the steering wheel on the Bluenose seem to point toward the back of the ship (I'm still learning nautical terms),  It would seem that in order to steer the Bluenose, one would have to stand at the side of the steering wheel, not in front of it.

post-26154-0-95761100-1482284365_thumb.jpg

mtaylor likes this

So what is the logic behind that design? Seems awkward.

I will freely admit that I have no idea!  

I'm building the Bluenose II at the moment _ 1st model ship for me.  

Doug

As opposed to a powered ship, in many sailing conditions the ship doesn't want to point where you are telling it to point, requiring constant pressure on the wheel, which, with no hydraulic assist, is going to be done most comfortably on the side.  Also sailing ships heel and between that and the position of the sails when you're heeling, the standard helm position is on the upwind/up-heel side of the wheel so he's on the high side and his vision is not totally obscured by sails. At least that's true for small fore and aft sail ships like schooners.

Not sure if it applies to Blue nose but the housing to which the wheel is attached is freqently more or less over the rudder post  to simply the gear and so standing behind it can be just "too far back!.

Heres a  pic of a young me  sitting ON the housing with the wheel in front of me -  smaller vessel 70ft Pilot Cutter

post-905-0-65860400-1482308352_thumb.jpg

and here is a pic of a much older me with the wheel of a three master

post-905-0-67005000-1482308164_thumb.jpg

with the same wheel configuration

The Bluenose used a worm steering gear mounted directly on the rudder head. These systems have to be perpendicular to the rake of the rudder, so if turned around, in the case of the Bluenose, the helmsman would have been positioned somewhere under and behind the counter (the overhang at the stern), not very comfortable or convenient!

scotia.081.jpg

Andy