USS Constitution by SawdustDave - FINISHED - 1:60th Scale

Thanks to the many PM's here and on FB ON MY 74th birthday.

Great news from my dear son and daughter who called this morning to wish Dad a happy BD, and inform me that they were treating the old man to a trip to Boston and three days to take in all of the details of the Constitution first hand. Not only that, but my son is going to join me there in Boston. That will be a DOUBLE treat!

Meantime, back in the ship yard.....

Reason for the lul in progress is due to a ton of off-ship work.... mostly related to the realization that I will eventually run into a s....t-pot load of cannons and carronades including carriages and rigging material for each. All being a scale I had no idea what I will need.... etc.

I hate the thought of completing her gun deck and then beginning the arduous task of building and installing all those cannons. I would much rather, and hope to build and install her cannons as the gun deck bulwarks and deck planks are developed.

So, the entire last several days has been focused on building prototypes for her long guns and carronades.

Hopefully, I will be able to post a few progress shots tomorrow.

Edited by SawdustDave

Sawdust Dave -

Current build - USS Constitution 1:60th (scratch)....

Visit my blog site - All previous builds.... http://davesmodelships.blogspot.com

HAPPY BIRTHDAY DAVE

What a surprise for you. Going to Boston and also your son will be with you. Now that's a birthday present that you deserve.

Good luck on the canons and I, for one, can't wait for the proto-pics.

Havagoodone mate

Greg

Edited by Greg the peg leg sailor

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

Current log : The Royal Yacht Royal Caroline 1749 1:32 by Greg Ashwood:...

Wow Dave, what a great birthday present!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jesse

Current build: Syren : Kit- Model Shipways

Side project: HMS Bounty - Revel -(plastic)

On hold: Pre-owned, unfinished Mayflower (wood)

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

Happy Belated Birthday my friend. What a great present hope you have a great time.

Al

Al

Current Build

The President by Sergal

Completed Build

Cutty Sark 1:75

SIB Hannah

Opium Smuggler

SIB Pride of Baltimore II

On Deck

Pride of Baltimore II

Scaling the cannon prototypes....

I'm glad I paused to do this, as it turned out to be a little more involved than I anticipated.

As we all know, while there are a good number of other things to work on, the gun deck of this ship is mostly about the guns.... lots of guns!  Same goes for the spar deck.  Also....Guns also mean gun carriages and rigging. 

Having said all that, my primary concern being scale, and having a reasonable method of creating all the parts.

First, a quick shot of the framing of the gun ports for the gun deck..... note that I have created a cardboard deck which can be marked up for all of the fixtures that will be added, in addition to the guns.   I located the masts on the deck in order to index the entire layout.

post-11777-0-20318500-1485289669.jpg

The next pics show the development of the carronades and carriages and rigging.

Created molds for the carriage parts....
24 carronade carriages and 30 long gun carriages will be needed.

post-11777-0-09385300-1485290014.jpg

Each of the carronade barrels will be turned from hard rock maple. 

post-11777-0-66121500-1485290035.jpg

I also developed a mock up of the bulwarks in order to work out the exact size of the rigging blocks, hooks, and rope.  This is the part that was little more difficult than I expected.... mostly block and rope sizes.  

post-11777-0-91020300-1485290063.jpg

I'm working on the same mock up for a long gun prototype.

Edited by SawdustDave

Sawdust Dave -

Visit my blog site - All previous builds.... http://davesmodelships.blogspot.com

Yes, Happy Belated Birthday. Let me know when you will be in Boston and maybe we can get together for a beer.

Or a cup of tea

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

G'day Dave

I bet your grey matter is working overtime on this problem...

Looking great mate

Havagooday

Greg

Edited by Greg the peg leg sailor

Happy birthday Dave an d many more to come.  What a nice present you received, going to Boston - - - and see the real Constitution.  Plenty of picks.

The model is coming along just great.  The carronade mock-up looks good from here.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Happy belated birthday, Dave! Have fun in Boston!

-Elijah

Current build(s):

Continental Gunboat Philadelphia by Model Shipways

https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/15753-continental-gunboat-philadelphia-by-elijah-model-shipways-124-scale/

Completed build(s):

Model Shipways Phantom

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?showtopic=12376

Member of:

The Nautical Research Guild

N.R.M.S.S. (Nautical Research and Model Ship Society)

After several days of working on prototypes for cannons and carronades.... including their carriages, and rigging.... I guess I'm about ready to move back to the ship for a while.

With so many of these guns to create, I'm hoping to get the technique for creating and installing them down to within reason.  The mock up of a gun port has been invaluable in that respect.  I came to the conclusion that a few trade-offs was necessary in terms of being able to install each gun.

The hooks that attach the block to the bulwark has to be much longer in order to get them to anchor into the eye rings.  

I also learned that all rigging must be attached to the carriage and cannon before attempting to install.

Also.... the cannon restraining rope must be hooked in place before attempting to hook the block and tackle hooks.
post-11777-0-89112000-1485612594.jpg

Finally, I was able to develop this little jig which will be used to make all of the rigging the exact same length.... very critical.

With 30 long guns and 24 carronades needed, my plan, for now, is to build three long gun and two carronade modules per week as I continue with progress on the ship..... in 10 weeks I should have all the guns completed.

This is, by far, more fully rigged guns than I have ever installed on a ship.

post-11777-0-34892700-1485612618.jpg

Edited by SawdustDave

Sawdust Dave -

"Rigging must be attached to the carriage and cannon before attempting to install." ......Now you tell me :o lol! Good idea for the jig to keep them all the same length.

Jesse

Current build: Syren : Kit- Model Shipways

Side project: HMS Bounty - Revel -(plastic)

On hold: Pre-owned, unfinished Mayflower (wood)

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

Sorry Jesse.... Trial and error.  

Tried it both ways under the clock.  Attaching all the rigging off ship turned out to be much faster.

Attaching the cannon rope first serves to anchor the module making the attachment of the tackle hooks much easier.

Sawdust Dave -

Good idea to plan and build ahead, Dave.  Things are looking good.   And happy belated birthday and may you have a great time in Boston.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I don't expect this posting to be of much value to many experienced modelers, but for the few who might be faced with creating scratch planks, here's how I approach it.

In other words, turning a choice piece of 3-1/2" X 1/4" poplar into a pile of deck planks....

post-11777-0-15683300-1485805631.jpg

Before ripping the thickness of each plank on my band saw, I had to remove some width of the planks by passing the board through the table table saw.  Standing on edge, the height of the blade is set to remove only about 3/4".... safely.

One pass on opposite edges gives me 1-1/2" of perfect plank width to take to the band saw.
Note that the edge of the board represents the width of each plank.
The plank thickness will be determined by the band saw cuts.

post-11777-0-08197100-1485805803.jpg

After each pass on the band saw, creating the thickness of the plank, I use a long sanding block to re-dress the edge, removing the rough surface caused by saw blade.

Done properly, the last cut will be something like the lower right pic.

post-11777-0-64828500-1485806307.jpg

Finally, each plank must be completely dressed with a long sanding block to remove the roughness caused by the band saw blade.
post-11777-0-06989600-1485806635.jpg

Quick note about the sanding block I use for dressing planks....
Years ago, I purchased a roll of this 100 grit paper used for safety "non-slip" concrete floors and stair treads.  Can't tell you how many sanding blocks I've made with this roll.
The important point being.... compared to the typical sanding board we have all used (top right), this stuff will seriously remove material like no other sandpaper I've ever used.

post-11777-0-53350700-1485807159.jpg

Edited by SawdustDave

Sawdust Dave -

Just found your log and will join all the others to follow you as you complete this arduous but satisfying journey. I hope to start building my Conny soon if I can ever finish my Rattlesnake.

A quick question: You mention earlier using small router bits. What kind of router are you using? I have jury-rigged a pseudo router thingy in the past but using the proper tool for the job is always best. Any other power tools you intend to use i.e., lathe, milling, etc.?

Jon

Current Build: Model Shipways USS Frigate Constitution

Past Builds:    Bob Hunt's kitbash of the Mamoli Rattlesnake

Model Shipways Typical Ship’s Boat for the Rattlesnake

Mini-Mamoli solid hull British Schooner Evergreen
                         Model Airways Albatros D.Va - 1917, The Red Baron's Forgotten Fighter

​Member: Nautical Research Guild

Hi Jon.... Thanks for the visit.

Routers..... Being a long time old wood worker, I have a number of routers of different sizes. The DeWalt I have mounted underneath a table is the one I use most because I can set up fence guides for best control. I occasionally use the Dremal router attachment as well.

Other tools.... table saws, band saws, and drill press.... vertical and belt sander, vibrating sander, plus a few different Dremal Tools.

In other words, if makes noise and creates sawdust, I will find a use for it..... yahaha

Dave

Sawdust Dave -

All my power tools are miniature: Brynes saw, Brynes thickness sander, rotary drill, and a 40 year old Dremel scroll saw that vibrates like crazy. I'd loved to get a milling machine and lathe, but as I have learned through school...the school of hard knocks, you don't buy a tool until you need it. I can't tell how many doohickys and thing-a-mabobs I've bought and never used. So I'm always window shopping and asking questions. Thanks for the prompt reply.

Jon

Current Build: Model Shipways USS Frigate Constitution

Past Builds:    Bob Hunt's kitbash of the Mamoli Rattlesnake

Model Shipways Typical Ship’s Boat for the Rattlesnake

Mini-Mamoli solid hull British Schooner Evergreen
                         Model Airways Albatros D.Va - 1917, The Red Baron's Forgotten Fighter

​Member: Nautical Research Guild

Great progress Dave and also some very good advice to us scratch builders.  I'm taking notes!

Cheers,

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

VOC Ship Surabaya

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Back to work on the Constitution......

Completed the planking of the gun deck since my last posting. Then began building the aft paneled bulkhead leading to the commodores aft cabin and stateroom.

Here's where the fun came to an abrupt halt!

I ran into a serious conflict with the location of the aft most gun port being snug against bulkhead "R".

The conflict being that there are two cannons on each side of the cabin and the two aft cannons cannot be fitted into that corner with the bulkhead being that close (see attached pic).

post-11777-0-55193400-1487018840.jpg

As seen below, the paneled bulkhead is completed.... dry fitting pic below.

post-11777-0-41844500-1487019089.jpg

The obvious solution is that the bulkhead has to go.... yuk!

Not only the removal of the bulkhead, but also the entire deck within the Commodores Cabin area must be ripped out because all of the deck planks butted against that bulkhead. The removal creates an obvious issue with those planks along the base of the new bullhead location.

So here's where I am now....

post-11777-0-80061800-1487019748.jpg

Consider this a minor setback.

I really have a hard time visioning one of those guns being fired within that enclosed area.

Edited by SawdustDave

Sawdust Dave -

You're powering along mate.  Glad you saw that as a minor setback and that you took the plunge and fixed that pesky bulkhead - she will look all the better for it.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Ouch!  That's to me a seriously major setback Dave.  Wat's the reason for the missing gun port?  Plans okay? Cabin too big?   Ship too short?  Just very curious mind you.

Cheers

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Ouch! That's to me a seriously major setback Dave. Wat's the reason for the missing gun port? Plans okay? Cabin too big? Ship too short? Just very curious mind you.

Cheers

I say it was a minor setback because it only took me a couple of hours to rip out the problem. Then another couple of hours to repair the rip out.

Four or five hours, in the life of a three year project, is just not a big deal....right?

The reason for the problem.......

Actually, none of the above Pete.

The problem comes from the fact that the plans are designed for a kit that does not include the exposed gun deck. That gun port is exactly where it should be.

The problem I encountered here only arose from my attempt to create the Commodores Cabin on the Gun Deck. I anticipate I will run into a similar issue in the bow area where I will probably have to remove portions of bulkhead "A" and "B". I'll deal with that when I eventually get to that area.... waaay down the road.

Compared to the horrible plans I had to work with on the SOS, the plan sheets for this model are a gift from heaven. This little rip out was a piece of cake compared to the one where I had to rip out both sides and reposition the gun ports of the SOS after I had completed the hull planking.

Now THAT was a major setback!

Dave

Edited by SawdustDave

Sawdust Dave -

Dave,

You have to remember that the bulkhead would be removed when they cleared for action.   So it wouldn't be in the way in combat.  And yeah.. a serious bash like you're doing will pop up some these types of things.  Been there, done that, turned the air blue.   :D

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Dave,

You have to remember that the bulkhead would be removed when they cleared for action.   So it wouldn't be in the way in combat.  And yeah.. a serious bash like you're doing will pop up some these types of things.  Been there, done that, turned the air blue.   :D

My guess is that, when removed for battle, the bulkheads would somehow be hoisted and lashed to the overhead beams Mark.

Otherwise, where would they be stowed?

Sawdust Dave -

Good question Dave.   Some where hinged and swung up to the beams, others taken apart and sent below.  Depends on the ship.  I do know the guy to ask though... Henry..(popeye2sea).   :)

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Gun deck paneled bulkhead development....

Thankfully, the availability of plenty of photo's of this ship make it possible to come up with most of what is needed to create her gun deck in fairly reasonable detail.

After a full week of working on the development of these paneled bulkheads, they are finally in place.
The forward module was particularly challenging due to the fact that I had to be paneled on both sides and includes the attachment of the Commodore's pantry which completely encloses the mizzen mast.

post-11777-0-04402400-1487620664_thumb.jpg

Here's that same bulkhead looking forward from inside the Commodore's cabin....

post-11777-0-27510900-1487621992_thumb.jpg

Just looking at these two pics, I discovered two mistakes.  
One I can fix.... Omitted the door knob's from all of the doors.
The other, I'll have to live with.... The tiny spindles in the top panel of each door should be stained wood.  As you can see, I painted them white.

Edited by SawdustDave

Sawdust Dave -