USS Constitution by SawdustDave - FINISHED - 1:60th Scale

Thanks for the visit Ken.  Clearly, my attempt to do justice to this great war ship is made possible through the incredible build log provided by you and other MSW friends.

I would be completely lost without your expert guidance.

I thank you sir.

Dave

Edited by SawdustDave

Sawdust Dave -

Current build - USS Constitution 1:60th (scratch)....

Visit my blog site - All previous builds.... http://davesmodelships.blogspot.com

Dave, it's been a while since I last visited your log but wow, wonderful work!  Very cool to see you involving your grandkids like that too :)

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Thank you Mike.

Happy to hear from you again.

The visit by our sweet grand daughters was really special since we only see them once a year.  And the really neat thing about them "helping" is the fact that they will, one day, long after I’m gone, be able to show their children how they actually glued the main fife rail onto the deck .... and point to it on this ship they will inherit from their their Papa.

Now, I ask....How COOL is that?

Cheers

Edited by SawdustDave

Sawdust Dave -

Visit my blog site - All previous builds.... http://davesmodelships.blogspot.com

I've got to learn how to fabricate anchors like you do Dave, they look great!

Jesse

Current build: Syren : Kit- Model Shipways

Side project: HMS Bounty - Revel -(plastic)

On hold: Pre-owned, unfinished Mayflower (wood)

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

57 minutes ago, JesseLee said:

I've got to learn how to fabricate anchors like you do Dave, they look great!

Jesse

I do admit I enjoy creating anchors Jesse.  Guess I've made at least 50 of various sizes over the years, if I count the ones I trashed.
Always great to hear from you.
Question..... are you considering attending the Beaufort show coming up on May 5th?
Dave

Sawdust Dave -

23 hours ago, SawdustDave said:

I do admit I enjoy creating anchors Jesse.  Guess I've made at least 50 of various sizes over the years, if I count the ones I trashed.
Always great to hear from you.
Question..... are you considering attending the Beaufort show coming up on May 5th?
Dave

I wasn't aware of it. My problem is I can't drive anymore and my wife works. Difficult to get rides and I can never predict how I will be feeling ahead of time.

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

Mounting the launches....

I should explain, I realize I will have to remove the launches from the davits in order to proceed with rigging the shrouds.  The reason for mounting them at this point is because I will be taking this model along with two or three others to my favorite annual model show at the North Carolina Maritime Museum in Beaufort, N.C. next Saturday.

Note:  I took a couple of shots of the technique I developed for those little lifeline (man-rope) bags.
To achieve the look of a fabric bag, I used a white plastic table cloth from the supply of red/white/blue covers we decorated our patio tables with last 4th of July....purchased from WalMart.

The little balsa tear drop forms are wrapped with the "X" shapes with a tight twist at the top and tied off with white thread..... then trimmed at the top.

The finished bags were spaced evenly along the rope BEFORE attaching to the davit.... brass rings on each end.

It's a little tedious, but well worth the effort.

Now if someone would explain the reason for these bags.  I have my own wild guess, but have never run across this on other ships, and I'm curious to know the background from someone more familiar.  

aaa3.JPG.41d7bcd2cf35acca8642e39326d2af37.JPG

aaa4.thumb.JPG.ce6ad71727b5c75b4ae5642ac0a1f8a4.JPG

aaa5.JPG.dde6f147af7b59a5f67bbbb1af2d989a.JPG

Edited by SawdustDave

Sawdust Dave -

Those man-rope bags look very effective; nice work

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Jim Lad posted April 8, 2013 on Modeller12's Constitution build log, the following:

The lifelines that you refer to are used to gain access to the boat when it's in the water or, for the fit and agile, to re-gain the deck from the launched boat.

It used to be common to launch boats with only their crew on board; the remainder of passengers boirding when the boat was in the water.  In an emergency situatiion the boat was launched and the survivors boarded by grabbing a lifeline and scrambling down to the boat.

BANYAN added in the same post:

... in the navy (well Aussie Navy at least) they were also referred to as 'manropes' and had the additional purpose of being a 'safety' rope for any crew that were in the boat when it was lowered to allow it to be 'released' from the falls when it met the water.  If something went wrong and the boats/falls broke/gave way (yes I have seen it happen), these rope which were attached independently (much liker a safety harness these days) were used for the crew to grab onto and stop their fall (they were held loosely by the crew as the boat descended).  The ropes usually had knots (overhand) in them at regular intervals to provide a purchase when being used for climbing...

I hope this helps

Jon

Edited by JSGerson

Current Build: Model Shipways USS Frigate Constitution

Past Builds:    Bob Hunt's kitbash of the Mamoli Rattlesnake

Model Shipways Typical Ship’s Boat for the Rattlesnake

Mini-Mamoli solid hull British Schooner Evergreen
                         Model Airways Albatros D.Va - 1917, The Red Baron's Forgotten Fighter

​Member: Nautical Research Guild

Thanks Jon and Pat.

Great information.  Makes perfect sense now.

Figured we could count on you Mate.

Cheers

Edited by SawdustDave

Sawdust Dave -

Lovely work as usual Dave. Enjoy the model show and share a few pics.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Captains Gig mounted....

This morning I completed the temporary mounting of all three davit launches.  She's pretty much ready for the road trip.

Note:  I spent most of the day yesterday building a weatherproof cargo box for the back of my pickumup truck.  After the near disaster I had a couple of years ago, I assure you this box will not blow out the back on the highway..... no matter how fast I drive.  I did a road test this morning up to 90 mph.  Solid as a rock.

aaa6.JPG.b9045caeb58ff9759e801067030cf3d7.JPG

Sawdust Dave -

Coming along very nicely Dave.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

In the bed of a pickup truck?   You're a braver man than I sir and for that I salute you. yellow-smiley-salute.gif.3b5909a0844bd69e3d367567f6721e91.gif

Those are some seriously nice looking ship's boats.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

On 5/3/2018 at 12:53 AM, mtaylor said:

In the bed of a pickup truck?   You're a braver man than I sir and for that I salute you. yellow-smiley-salute.gif.3b5909a0844bd69e3d367567f6721e91.gif

Those are some seriously nice looking ship's boats.

Thanks for the visit Mark.
I'll have to take a photo of the way I secure the ships for a road trip.
Provided I am able to stay out of the ditches, and avoid tangling with any of the crazy drivers, I should make it back home with all cargo in good shape.

Cheers Mate

Edited by SawdustDave

Sawdust Dave -

Loaded up and ready for the 3.5 hour road trip early tomorrow morning.

The weather proof cargo box I built for the back of my truck is made of the type of hardboard used for bathroom shower walls.  Glued together and screwed together then all outside joints sealed with white Gorilla Tape (double layered).
The tail gate closes flush against the rear cargo box panel.

The three ships are carefully cradled on top of pillows and the sides are stuffed with towels and 40 pair of old tube socks...... zero lateral movement.

The three cardboard boxes are taped together to prevent them from shifting laterally.

DSCN2656.JPG.01c92a5a4318b7306e9da5121589cb19.JPG

DSCN2657.thumb.JPG.b7cebb231674c230069e23d0883c7b49.JPG

DSCN2658.JPG.db82180497f1ba8c4f856356f3a640d0.JPG

DSCN2659.JPG.d0b6ae388f02549940226a88a26268fc.JPG

Now, all's I got to do is keep her between the white lines and avoid road morons.

Wish me luck.

Dave

Edited by SawdustDave

Sawdust Dave -

Nice setup for moving the ships.  Have fun Dave.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Home again, home again..... at last, old man Dave is home again.

Cargo box functioned flawlessly.... the show was very great.... perfect weather.... got to visit all of my old modeling friends.

Took some photos and will try to post a few tomorrow.

Glad to be back safely.

Cheers all :10_1_10:

Sawdust Dave -

Beaufort, NC annual Wooden Boat Show event....

One old friend I was glad to spend some time with.  Blackbeard looks like a really bad character, but I can tell you, he's actually a very nice guy.

DSCN2665.JPG.1a4b519876c672018ad271bed89b806b.JPG

Here are just a few of the models displayed for the public.

show1.thumb.JPG.6da547c71e14d760670cca149a95cda5.JPG

My personal favorite is this WWII Sub built by Jim Tuttle.... over two years to scratch build this 8 foot long masterpiece.

show2.thumb.JPG.599ef4d9973ef573a4138c5b2e273862.JPG

Sawdust Dave -

Wish I could have been there!

27 minutes ago, JesseLee said:

Wish I could have been there!

The staff at NC Maritime Museum are a class act Jesse Lee.... They do a wonderful job putting on this event every year.  It just continues to get bigger and better every year.

The modelers inside show is but a small part of the event which also features dozens of full size boat builders set up outside.

Edited by SawdustDave

Sawdust Dave -

Believe it or not, I've never had the opportunity to visit any of our Maritime Museums in NC (or anywhere else for that matter). I've always wanted to go. I guess i'm going to have to hire someone who is willing to drive a sick guy to a Museum sometime! I bet it was awesome! 

Jesse

Jesse, I honestly considered offering to work out a way for you to attend this event with me, but realized the all-day ordeal would likely be a serious overload for you.

Personally, the annual Beaufort trip is more about visiting that very old historic harbor town.  Reminds me very much of Charlestown Mass. on a much smaller scale.

Take care my friend.

Edited by SawdustDave

Sawdust Dave -

Back to work....

Fifty of these two piece hammock crane stanchions were formed from steel wire.  Each being silver soldered at the joint, and snipped to size.  The post was filed to a point, and each stanchion tip was flattened and notched for the rope to be attached, as seen in the second shot.
Upper and lower ropes attached nice and tight....and, finally, the slow process of tacking the netting to the ropes.

ab1.JPG.5178e27899e15410ce2a70f747011e37.JPG

ab2.JPG.b7523e8e45bd9fe1f8ff26c730b598fe.JPG

ab3.JPG.0a9661f727e71b30f08ff206c5ffa450.JPG

Sawdust Dave -

Dave, what kind of soldering iron and solder do you use? I have had very poor results trying to solder. I'm thinking I don't have the right kind. 

Jesse

28 minutes ago, JesseLee said:

Dave, what kind of soldering iron and solder do you use? I have had very poor results trying to solder. I'm thinking I don't have the right kind. 

Jesse

Thanks Tom.  I agree....Well worth the effort.

Jesse - I know exactly what you're going through.  I really struggled with the soldering technique as well.  Gave up on using the electric iron and went to using open flame from the little BERNZOMATIC butane system.  Creating a jig to hold the parts together was easy.  Sanding the surface of each part and getting the area covered with the right amount of flux is the secret.  Also.... applying the flame AWAY from the joint, allowing the wire to heat up and suck the solder into the joint is key.
You'll be amazed at how quickly you will pick up the technique with a little patience and practice.
BTW.... Club meeting in Fayetteville tonight.  Hope you can make it. 

Edited by SawdustDave

Sawdust Dave -