USS Constitution by SawdustDave - FINISHED - 1:60th Scale

Happy to hear you had a grand time at the museum and model show. The hammock stanchions look great and so does the netting.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

• 2 weeks later...

Hammock crane netting completed....

Masts are now ready for paint.... Now working on the fighting tops.
Needless to say I am pretty excited about finally getting to this point in progress.

DSCN2708.JPG.31fc61940e8414a6f5e367505a46ad90.JPG

Sawdust Dave -

Current build - USS Constitution 1:60th (scratch)....

Visit my blog site - All previous builds.... http://davesmodelships.blogspot.com

41 minutes ago, SawdustDave said:

MEMORIAL DAY....

Being a veteran, I decided this would be my special Memorial Day statement.
DSCN2704.thumb.JPG.8f319743d660ac929d5eff8c03a7b686.JPG

Given the scale of the boat that certainly looks like a Garrison Flag, Dave.  Nice touch.

Thanks guys.  The photo with the hugely oversized flag was taken using a flag which is now mounted over my wife’s brother’s grave stone.

Today is a very special day of memory and paying respect to our fallen warriors.

Cheers

Edited by SawdustDave

Sawdust Dave -

Visit my blog site - All previous builds.... http://davesmodelships.blogspot.com

• 2 weeks later...

TURNING TOPGALLANT MASTS....

With the outstanding build logs from a number of MSW fellow builders, I haven't found many things to share lately.  Most everything I've done lately has been my feeble attempt to emulate details found in their log postings.
I did, however, while turning the very delicate Topgallant Masts, wonder if my technique might be of interest to others faced with the challenge of getting very thin tapering at the end of a dowel.  Here goes....

The hardwood block of wood seen here has a small hole drilled through at the exact height of the center of my lathe chuck.  This allows me to move the block back and forth on the lathe bed while applying pressure with course sanding paper and files. 
Pretty simple and very effective technique.   
5b1d44a625d1f_turningtopgallantmast.JPG.8e7aa4bf4c3460805b9c09e77fc1d78d.JPG

Sawdust Dave -

• 4 weeks later...

BELAYING PINS....

Before setting the three mast assemblies, I spent the last two days spinning tooth picks into belaying pins surrounding the fife rails.
Needed about 80 of these little guys.... only ten to go and I should be done with all belaying pins.
pins.JPG.55b00dc21bc9d4bdf4125e1f563ffc80.JPG

Sawdust Dave -

Nice production run Dave; they look good.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

MAIN MAST ALIGNMENT.....

This photo was taken to visually check the vertical alignment of the Main Mast after rigging the first two shrouds.
Seen here, I used a plank laying across the lower rails with a framing square to check for perfect alignment.
I also used a plank laying across the fighting top to physically measure the distance of each side down to the channels.

Note....I will also be using a temporary stay line tied off to the bowsprit to physically hold the rake at 3.5 degrees as I proceed with rigging the remaining shrouds.

5b435fc1abf3a_mainmast.thumb.JPG.9a321e722e150b066ad8ac8324c4462c.JPG

It's nice to see this phase finally begin, but I'm not real excited about it being one step closer to tying all those rat lines .....
(clove hitch, clove hitch, clove hitch, etc, etc...) 

Sawdust Dave -

Nice work Dave and a nice touch with the large flag.  Yes, indeed, all our service men and women should be remembered and honored no matter what nation we hail from.  I have two I silently commemorate, August 18 and February 27 in addition to July 4.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Just finished rigging the shrouds and deadeyes for the Main Mast, and trying to decide whether to move on to the next mast or.....
RATLINES!!!

I really do dread the looming prospects of endless clove hitch tying (don't we all).... so, at this point, my inclination is to work on the ratlines for each set of shrouds as I go, thus breaking up the formidable task into smaller exercises.  Of course, this would include rigging the Futtock shrouds and Staves etc.

Also beginning to look at the rigging of the Bowsprit.
DSCN2741.thumb.JPG.edfb87c8faa8e97d5c1cde054af2752c.JPG

Edited by SawdustDave

Sawdust Dave -

Dave, you will be surprised how fast those ratlines go when you get into a groove. I did all lower masts at the same time because I found that it was harder for me to come back to them rather then just do them all at the same time. Either way works though, so see what works best for you.

Dave, don't forget to add the forward line to the eyebolt on the channel.; every fifth ratline extends to it. But I am sure you are aware of this. :cheers:

Ken

Current build: Maersk Detroit"
Future builds:  Mamoli HMS Victory 1:90
Completed builds: US Brig Niagara, Dirty Dozen, USS Constitution, 18th Century Armed Longboat
https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/11935-uss-constitution-by-xken-model-shipways-scale-1768/

Glad you pointed that out Ken.

Sure would love to sit down with you for some serious “brain pickin” at this point.

Thanks a bunch.

Dave

Sawdust Dave -

Dave, that could be slim pickings but if you have any questions just let me know. Keep in mind I will be out of the loop between July 19 - Aug. 7 and not sure about communications. I will be delivering the Constitution to my son in Southold, Long Island. A long drive from Morro Bay,Ca. 6130 miles round trip.

Ken

Current build: Maersk Detroit"
Future builds:  Mamoli HMS Victory 1:90
Completed builds: US Brig Niagara, Dirty Dozen, USS Constitution, 18th Century Armed Longboat
https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/11935-uss-constitution-by-xken-model-shipways-scale-1768/

A little setback.... typical of me.

Had shrouds rigged to both sides of the Main mast.... rigged ratlines to the starboard side.

Then decided the upper deadeyes were too low..... ALL 18 OF THEM!

Yes I did completely remove everything.

Back to shroud #1.

:default_wallbash::default_wallbash::default_wallbash:

Edited by SawdustDave

Sawdust Dave -

11 hours ago, yancovitch said:

are you sure???...are you really really sure??? :D:D:D............nice to have company.....

ALWAYS SURE my friend..... sometimes just WRONG.
(and must pay the price)
:piratetongueor4:

Sawdust Dave -

Re-do’s not all bad.  

Per usual, ripping out and doing again generally results in considerable improvements.

Pretty sure it will be true in this particular case.

Sawdust Dave -

Great attitude mate.

cheers

Pat

On 7/17/2018 at 5:08 PM, SawdustDave said:

A little setback.... typical of me.

Had shrouds rigged to both sides of the Main mast.... rigged ratlines to the starboard side.

Then decided the upper deadeyes were too low..... ALL 18 OF THEM!

Yes I did completely remove everything.

Back to shroud #1.

:default_wallbash::default_wallbash::default_wallbash:

Not gonna' like that post but I do support the decision which obviously would be a very agonizing one to make.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

PROGRESS..... Sometimes one step aft, two steps fore!

Happy to be back to where I was when my "fore progress" was interrupted.

Too many improvements to be of interest, so we will just move on from here.
Note, the production of rings and hearts to be used in the rigging of the Fore and Mizzen masts.
Also note that the addition of the starboard side futtock shrouds and ratlines.
Now ready to rotate the model and resume the exciting process of tying the port side clove hitches, etc. etc.....

DSCN2742.thumb.JPG.fa579124b9cceb7d3673a85f76b87ed0.JPG

DSCN2746.thumb.JPG.f9eac58496fe44dbf8be0906cb5cf21b.JPG

Edited by SawdustDave

Sawdust Dave -

TECHNIQUE TIP.....

Once in a blue moon, looking for a better solution to an issue, I might come across some little technique worth passing along to my modeling friends.

This particular one has to do with keeping the shrouds in true alignment as I work my way up with tying in the ratlines.  Don't know about everyone else, but I don't always manage to maintain perfect spacing between the shrouds around mid-way.  We've all seen it.... the tendency to allow those outside shrouds to CREEP INWARD.

Took a couple of shots to show my very simple and effective solution.....
Note the slit in my pattern paper about every third or fourth course of ratlines.  
I simply pull the end of the line into the slits and touch it with a small dab of CA, thus locking the outside shroud in place so I don't have to be concerned with "Inward Creeping" as I work my way up.

Note, I have used tick marks on the pattern paper to indicate the spacing of all the middle shrouds.

ratline1.JPG.998220eca93b6df43d8a48d73239d2a4.JPG

ratline2.JPG.945edc7260abb78d14f49f32ed69db8c.JPG

Back to a few hundred more clove hitches.......:piratetongueor4:

Sawdust Dave -

11 minutes ago, usedtosail said:

Great tip, Dave. It also keeps the template from slipping out of position, I'll bet.

Absolutely right about that Tom.  Been fighting this annoying issue for over ten years.  

Such a simple solution, huh?

Dave

Sawdust Dave -

Nice work and a great idea on the slits Dave.

Another thing that may help with maintaining spacing of the shrouds is to do the major ratlines (that go all the way across first, then fill in between.  I think I did the bottom then the middle and then the top majors, then the intermediates.  That helped me keep the spacing while I did the minors.  If your current jig resolves the spacing issue ignore this ramble :)

cheers

Pat