USS Constitution by SawdustDave - FINISHED - 1:60th Scale

Thanks for your comments Pat.  

I did use your approach when doing the starboard side.... every Tenth ratline .... the ones that extend out to the one shroud secured by block and tackle rigging.  And yes, it did work quite well.

Dave

Sawdust Dave -

Current build - USS Constitution 1:60th (scratch)....

Visit my blog site - All previous builds.... http://davesmodelships.blogspot.com

• 4 weeks later...

PROGRESS.....

Almost a month since last update, I figured it was about time of offer evidence that I'm still moving forward.... albeit very slowly.

A minor development in my "physical wellness" seems to be hampering my progress.  Having to do with age and years of abuse, but I've noticed that the ability to hold my arms in position required for rigging is now limited to 20 or 30 minutes per work session.
MRI pictures have confirmed that Mr. Arthur Ritus is giving me a fit throughout the shoulder blades.

So here's a couple of shots and a quick thumbnail summary....
Just beginning the starboard foremast lower ratlines.... noting the grid pattern firmly secured by tacking the 10th, 20th, and 30th course to prevent the outer shrouds from "inward creeping".  This will complete all of the lower shrouds and ratlines for all three masts.

ratline4.JPG.359287e79be78acf3aa3915e6c8b2eeb.JPG
Also noting that I have installed preventer lines from the Mizzen and Main masts to assure the rake of the masts are well secured.
Note.... I ran into a real challenge with the rigging of the four preventer lines belaying into deck eye bolts inside the Main mast fife rails. 

MAN!
Wishing I had not glued the fife rail assembly in place prior to this task.

ratline3.JPG.15682e0d7c9263aca1404627ff180d1b.JPG

Edited by SawdustDave

Sawdust Dave -

Visit my blog site - All previous builds.... http://davesmodelships.blogspot.com

The way I belayed the preventer lines into deck eye bolts on my Rattlesnake was to pre-drill the eye bolt holes early on. When the time came, the eye bolts were then rigged to the preventer lines. The whole rigged eye bolt was then inserted into the pre-drilled deck hole. This eliminated trying to thread through the eye bolt and seizing the lines while the eye bolt was attached to the deck. I know it's too late now, but maybe this tip will help someone else or you on a later build.

Nice work on the ratlines by the way.

Jon

Current Build: Model Shipways USS Frigate Constitution

Past Builds:    Bob Hunt's kitbash of the Mamoli Rattlesnake

Model Shipways Typical Ship’s Boat for the Rattlesnake

Mini-Mamoli solid hull British Schooner Evergreen
                         Model Airways Albatros D.Va - 1917, The Red Baron's Forgotten Fighter

​Member: Nautical Research Guild

Now you tell me!   Yahahaha

After rigging the four lines at the main mast, I began plotting how I would attack the fore mast rigging and decided on exactly the approach you described here Jon.  Seems like there are only two similar rigging to deal with there.

Thanks for the visit.

Sawdust Dave -

Sorry to hear about your health issues Dave, but the rigging is coming along nicely.  Yes, threading those eyebolts was a bit sporting, as they say.

Edited by usedtosail

Thanks Tom.  I think I’ve been a very lucky man health wise, considering the physical abuse I’ve imposed on my body.  I guess a little bit of arthritis in the shoulders is to be expected at age 75.  Actually began to notice the discomfort during the SOS rigging.

Wrapped up the rat lines for the lower fore mast this morning.  Will work on more of the standing rigging this evening.

Thanks for dropping in.

Dave

Sawdust Dave -

Dave, the doctors have told me that my youth is catching up with me having disintegrating disks L3 through L7 along with arthritis in both my left knee and hip. For the past few years model building has been my method of pain management and it does work. 

Keep up the great work you are doing! :cheers:

Ken

Current build: Maersk Detroit"
Future builds:  Mamoli HMS Victory 1:90
Completed builds: US Brig Niagara, Dirty Dozen, USS Constitution, 18th Century Armed Longboat
https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/11935-uss-constitution-by-xken-model-shipways-scale-1768/

Ken.... Was it John Wayne who said “Getting old ain’t for sissies.”

Comforting to know there are friends like you and Tom.... if it gets too tough, I can pack her up and ship it to one of you guys to finish.  Yahahaha.

Dave

Sawdust Dave -

• 3 weeks later...

Rigging the bowsprit with 60 mph winds howling outside my shop.... makes it pretty interesting, to say the least.

Not sure how long we will continue to have power today, but quite sure it will go down as this storm moves through at a turtle pace.

Flooding is our biggest concern.

Thoughts and Prayers much needed and appreciated.

Sawdust Dave -

Be safe, Dave.   The storm will be what it wants to be and all we can do is either get out of the way or ride it out.   I pray all goes well.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I'm just a couple a three hour hours away from you, and you would think I was on the other side of the country; blue sky, puffy white clouds, with just a few gusts of wind. I'll probably have more weather this weekend. Take care and keep safe.

Jon

Asheville area looked like that today. The storm is coming tomorrow for us, since it is moving so slowly.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Just a quick comment on the storm.  Thankfully, our home in Lumberton remains high and dry and no wind damage.  Unfortunately, not the case for thousands of our neighbors living in low areas near the Lumber River.

Had power for most of the time.... actually managed to make progress in the shipyard.  Spent the morning rigging the bowsprit spar.

Sawdust Dave -

I feel very relieved you were spared. Living in the western part of South Carolina, I too was lucky; I barely even recognized that there was a storm going on to the east of me. I hope the relief effort for the rest of your community moves swiftly and all will be back to normal soon. Looking forward to your progress pictures.

Jon

Edited by JSGerson

Glad to hear that you are safe and your home is undamaged, Dave.  Stay well.  Hope the waters drain away quickly so your neighbors can get help with the recovery.

Good to hear from you Dave and that you had good news.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks guys.  Very fortunate for sure.

As for bowsprit rigging, let me say, hats off to any of you Connie builders who managed to fight through the directions and drawings I’ve seen.

This is, by far, the most complex bowsprit rigging I have ever tackled.

I do miss working from Chuck’s instructions and graphics.

My suggestion to any modeler looking for a great kit to build.... don’t even think about anything not designed by Master Passaro.... Confederacy, Syren, Mayflower, Longboat, and eventually his Winney.

Edited by SawdustDave

Sawdust Dave -

BOWSPRIT RIGGING....

Just a few shots of the rigged bowsprit.
All of the fellow Connie builders know, without my word, the difficulty of this area.  Happy to have the first spar now hanging securely beneath her bowsprit.
OOPS!

Just noticed I have not added the foot ropes beneath the flying jibboom.  Easy enough to take care of at this point.

675123304_bowspritrigging.thumb.JPG.9f5c9722c87c7cb7ca7838d466785e79.JPG

421240664_bowspritrigging1.thumb.JPG.135e2024b6d57628295de1908def2b5d.JPG

1940505443_bowspritrigging2.thumb.JPG.4a55ca3f4acb057f335ec31d51c2f503.JPG

Edited by SawdustDave

Sawdust Dave -

Looks wonderful Dave!

Current build: Syren : Kit- Model Shipways

Side project: HMS Bounty - Revel -(plastic)

On hold: Pre-owned, unfinished Mayflower (wood)

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

Very neat and pretty. Out of curiosity, what miniature rope are you using. Typically I use Chuck's rope from Syren Ship Model Company, the kit's rope, and sewing thread but usually have a problem with very fine line for example flag halyards or ratlines. You have an advantage with your slightly larger scale build which makes even normal sewing thread seem relatively fine.

The lines shown on your bowsprit are beautifully delicate. What did you use?

Jon

6 hours ago, JSGerson said:

The lines shown on your bowsprit are beautifully delicate. What did you use?

Jon

Been wondering when someone would inquire regarding the beautiful black line I have been using for years.

Jon.... I have three different gages of braided nylon casting line manufactured by Woodstock.

The heavy line used for shrouds and mast preventor stays is 50 lb test.

The line used for ratlines is 2 lb test made by Hercules..... label says it is 0.2mm

Then I have a number of different sizes of Chuck’s rope that will be used as I move into spar rigging on the three masts.

Cheers all

PS.... Just heard POTUS may be visiting my flooded town today.  I can hear numerous large choppers flying around the area right now.

Edited by SawdustDave

Sawdust Dave -

I don't know much about fishing line. You wouldn't happen to know, or point me in the direction of, the diameters of those lines you use? As you know, in our world of model building, scale is everything.

Fishing line is about strength and the nomenclature of the line depends on what type of fishing is involved.  Somewhere, somebody must have made a conversion chart of line strength to diameter. Even sewing thread is marked differently even among themselves depending on its application

It's very confusing. I just want to know what the thickness is.

Jon

Jon.... I cannot find any specs on thickness for their products.

Here’s a link that will allow you to browse.... https://theanglersconnection.com/

Since Woodstock is the manufacturer, they do not sell to individuals.  I generally find it on Amazon because I can’t find it in local fishing tackle shops in this area.

Anyone with ice fishing in their area may find it in local fishing tackle shops.

Cheers

Edited by SawdustDave

Sawdust Dave -

46 minutes ago, usedtosail said:

Dave, I am glad you came through the storm OK. And your bowsprit rigging is excellent.

Thanks Tom.  We are lucky to have our home located in a “high ground” part of our sadly devastated home town.

Bowsprit rigging.... still quite a bit to do there, as you know, before moving on to the mast spars.

Sawdust Dave -