USS Constitution by SawdustDave - FINISHED - 1:60th Scale

SPECIAL EVENT CELEBRATION.....
This photo has a very special meaning for me personally.  As I have said in an earlier comment, this model of the USS Constitution will be my last major tall ship.
With that in mind, and knowing just how much I struggle with tying ratline clove hitch knots, this posting is to celebrate the last ratline clove hitch of my life.

1941498432_ratline.thumb.JPG.ff636daad592d7b3921c935c02bada08.JPG
Midway down the Mizzen topmast shrouds (port side).

:dancetl6::cheers:

Edited by SawdustDave

Sawdust Dave -

Current build - USS Constitution 1:60th (scratch)....

Visit my blog site - All previous builds.... http://davesmodelships.blogspot.com

57 minutes ago, usedtosail said:

Never say never, Dave.

The question raised my curiosity, so I did a rough estimation, for the fifteen tall ships I've done (includes two restorations)..... over 30,000 clove hitch knots!
That is quite enough, thank you.

Not saying I will give up modeling Tom.

Just that my next project will be something that does not include masts with shrouds and ratlines.
You can take that to the bank.
:10_1_10:

Edited by SawdustDave

Sawdust Dave -

Visit my blog site - All previous builds.... http://davesmodelships.blogspot.com

• 4 weeks later...

SHIP MODELERS BURNOUT....
How many of you have experienced it?

In my case, following four other major ship builds, non-stop, (all scratch builds), and now with over 2,500 hours into my fifth, and most important build, I find that I am experiencing complete modelers burnout.

I have decided it's time to step away for a long break, before proceeding any further along with the critical stage of rigging the spars for this USS Constitution.
For me, when I reach this stage, it's a matter of getting plain sloppy in my work.  Daily mistakes, getting in a hurry, poor measurements, rip-outs and reworks.....
So, amid the process of creating her lower spars,  I've removed the Connie from my work bench for now.

Here is a shot of work in progress on the six lower spars....

spars.JPG.c6e4ed3527ad160257dd7d5e4ca3570d.JPG

Sawdust Dave -

I think my modeler's funk on HMS Fly is currently in year seven. I haven't finished any model in just about four years now, and I'm forcing myself through my current project bit by painful bit. I hope that reaching the finish line on this one will prove to be a catalytic experience of sorts. We'll see. In the meantime, I still enjoy watching the work of others take shape.

Enjoy your break!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

MEANWHILE.....  MY NEW FUN PROJECT....

Since I still have a passion for working in my shop, I decided to take a shot at a major carving project.
Note:  My first car ever was a 1951 XK 120 Jaguar roadster I was able to completely restore to mint condition.

In the world of automobiles, I still consider it to be the ultimate in sports car classics.
So beginning with a block of choice popler (2.5" X 7") I am attempting to create a 1/24 scale model of that little beauty.
I only wish I could, somehow, reproduce the amazing sound of the in-line six revved to the red line.

I removed the progress pics and started a new log in the "Shore Leave" section as recommended by members.

See ya there

jag7.JPG.22d3911b587b730e1fae0ab3df9d21ba.JPG

Since this is a ship modelers venue, I will not bore you mates with more of this project in the future.
Please wish me luck.

Edited by SawdustDave

Sawdust Dave -

That's a great project Dave. I am sorry you are on hold with the Connie, but this looks like a good diversion. Good luck with it.

that's 'super dave'.....to me it's so much more satisfaction in carving, or even modeling clay sculpture.......would much rather carve than build ships, but somehow i've built ships.......if  you were a more mediocre ship builder like me, you would be able to get through them easily haha.......your passion for detail, is probably the cause of combustion  ...sure whatever you'll do it will be great......and you'll know when it will be time to finish the constitution...cheers

😊

Hi Dave,

I think many if not all of us have a burn out at some point in a build.  Maybe open a log for the sweet Jag in the non-ship model area?   I'd love to see this one being done.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I agree with Mark open a log in shore leave, I would certainly like to see the rest of this build

Regards

Paul 

The clerk of the cheque's yacht of sheerness

Current build HMS Sirius (1797) 1:48 scratch POF from NMM plans

HMS Winchelsea by chuck 1:48

Cutter cheerful by chuck 1:48

Previous builds-

Elidir - Thames steam barge

Cutty Sark-Billings boats

Wasa - billings boats

Among others 😁

Thanks for the flattering words Vic and Tom.

Mark...and Paul.... I had not considered opening a log in another section.

In fact, was unaware of such a section.

Will definitely look into it.

Cheers All

Edited by SawdustDave

Sawdust Dave -

33 minutes ago, SawdustDave said:

In fact, was unaware of such a section.

Will definitely look into it.

It's a new sub-forum of Shore Leave, Dave.  Lots of interesting  non-ship modeling.

I just moved it Dave.  I'll leave a "pointer" for you and others.  It's in the non-ship model area.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I know just how you feel. I am at the rigging point in my build and I have taken about 9 months off. In that time I have accomplished a lot of other things that needed m y attention.  I am now excited to get back at it. For me the late fall and winter are the best times for modeling. I am now in the process of cleaning my work area and looking forward to getting back at it. 

A word of advice for anyone attempting to build the Constitution. It is a daunting project. It is a large model, with a ton of rigging. I now know why a lot of modelers build Admiralty style models. :)  I am now on my sixth year of building the Constitution. I am now retired and try to keep my modeling sessions down to about an hour at a time, then take a break. Right now I am working an hour in the morning, an hour in the afternoon, and an hour after dinner. 

I am determined to finish this labor of love. Dave, if you feel you need a break, by all means take it. I have followed your progress and you doing a great job. Just remember, the Conny will be there when you are ready to get back at it. 

Happy modeling 

Geoff

NRG member #2666
Current build : USS Constitution

Finished builds: Armed Virginia Sloop (in gallery)

Thanks Geoff.  Great advice to modelers regarding building this model.  Definitely not an undertaking for beginners.

Cheers

Sawdust Dave -

3 hours ago, SawdustDave said:

Thanks Geoff.  Great advice to modelers regarding building this model.  Definitely not an undertaking for beginners.

Cheers

Dave....so true.  Many years ago after I built my third Cutty Sark model...I diverted.  I refocused and began modeling period HO steam model layouts.  those are a bit more diversified in their subject matter.

In addition to model railroading...I build Refractor telescopes(In my machine shop area of my shop)...and I dabble in furniture making as well(In my wood working area).

So...I've had to diversify my hobbies to stay interested.  I'll jump into one for a time and as I finish up a project(Or not), I tend to get re-inspired, and then I'm back at clipper ship modeling(Or what-ever).  I have 4 scratch builds on the ways...not to mention several telescope projects...and now my wife needs me to build her a new Maple mantle for the living room before Christmas.

Hang in there, and I'll bop in and see your new log...great job.

Rob

Current build:

Build log: https://modelshipworld.com/topic/25382-glory-of-the-seas-medium-clipper-1869-by-rwiederrich-196

Finished build:

Build log: of 1/128th Great Republic: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13740-great-republic-by-rwiederrich-four-masted-extreme-clipper-1853/#

Current build(On hold):

Build log: 1/96  Donald McKay:http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/4522-donald-mckay-medium-clipper-by-rwiederrich-1855/

Completed build:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/475-196-cutty-sark-plastic/

The LORD said, "See, I have set (them) aside...with skills of all kinds, to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver, and bronze, to cut and set stones, to work in wood, and to engage in all kinds of crafts."

• 1 month later...

Nice work on the Connie Dave and I'll see you back here when you start working on her again. I'm only 84 so take your time to find finding your mojo again, send up a smoke signal.

In the meantime I'll find your Jag build and keep you company.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

So here we are again, all refreshed after taking a little break to build my little Jag.
Picked up where I left off building the spars.... dozens of jackstay eyebolts to install on five more spars should keep me occupied for a few days.
Cheers

Sawdust Dave -

Glad you are back!

Current build: Syren : Kit- Model Shipways

Side project: HMS Bounty - Revel -(plastic)

On hold: Pre-owned, unfinished Mayflower (wood)

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE.....
Thinking, a few friends may be wondering if I'm actually back to this build after taking a little "fun break".
Well here's your evidence..... and a good laugh to go with it.
Finishing up the Cross Jack Yards, and the Topsail Yards went pretty well since I had already shaped them and had them ready for the eyebolts and iron works.  It didn't take long for me to regain the silver soldering technique required to complete the iron works.
The laugh comes when I moved on to shape the Royal and Topgallant yards.
Got them all turned and, the ones with eyebolts and iron works were finished.... something just didn't seem right.  

When laid along with the longer yards, the LENGTHS did not fit my eye.
Checked all measurements against the drawing specs..... everything was perfect.
RECHECKED..... still perfect.
Then it hit me.....  When I took the specs and made the layout sketch, I had not re-scaled them from 1:72 to fit my 1/60th scale!!!!
After a few choice words I cannot repeat here.... Back to the lathe.
Think we got it right this time.
This, along with all the holiday activity, and trying to remove a mountain of oak tree leaves from my yard has kept me occupied.
Happy New Year all!
spars.JPG.6e7a7c1b7fbb66d0da1e51d7ff901907.JPG

Edited by SawdustDave

Sawdust Dave -

Nice yards you got there Dave, including the one emerging from under the leaves. Happy New Year to you and your family.

On 10/30/2018 at 12:18 PM, rwiederrich said:

So...I've had to diversify my hobbies to stay interested.  I'll jump into one for a time and as I finish up a project(Or not), I tend to get re-inspired, and then I'm back at clipper ship modeling(Or what-ever).  I have 4 scratch builds on the ways...not to mention several telescope projects..

I hear you!

Good to see that you are still getting work done Dave, in the end it is my opinion that it really does not matter on what one works so long as the reason for doing it, is to bring you peace of mind (isn't that why we work at hobbies).

Have fun in the new year.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Question for Tom, Ken, or any others with opinions on rigging sequence of this model.
While still working on preparing the yards.... now adding foot ropes.... I have begun studying the rigging plans in more detail.
The question, for those, traveled this road before me....
Best starting point.
Fore to aft?
Top-down yards, or lower-up?
The standing rigging and bow sprit pretty much completed long ago..... any advise as to which spars I hang first?

Happy New Year All

Dave

Edited by SawdustDave

Sawdust Dave -

I started bow first, bottom up - bowsprit, lower yards, topsail yards, etc. At each level I went fore, main, mizzen. I don't know if this is the best sequence but it worked for me. Have fun with the rigging. I had a blast.

Good to see you back here Dave and that with such nice looking yards.

Gwen and I wish you and your family a very good and healthy 2019.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

UPDATE.... RIGGING THE YARDS:

Getting the lower yards hanging level completed.  Each secured with halliard tackle after hanging with slings and jeer blocks.

Reaching in to work with tools without damaging all the standing rigging is giving me a lot of heartburn.  So far, no harm done.

yards1.thumb.JPG.2a3f7869adbb30472dfaaeffe6fdb2cb.JPG

yards2.thumb.JPG.0dd4a31703d485e30bb7d1c07550f4ca.JPG
yards3.thumb.JPG.eec893cb88c91205ad4840ad6cfa1d8a.JPG

Sawdust Dave -