USS Constitution by SawdustDave - FINISHED - 1:60th Scale

What did you make them out of? They look great!

Jesse

Current build: Syren : Kit- Model Shipways

Side project: HMS Bounty - Revel -(plastic)

On hold: Pre-owned, unfinished Mayflower (wood)

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

Bilge pump handles completed....

Since the bilge pumps are mounted on a slightly raised section of deck, I was able to create this as an off-ship module.  Not sure it could have been done on board.
The handles are now ready to be attached in a "stowed" position, and then I will glue the module in place.
Just now looking at this photo, I am considering trimming the stretcher boards serving as the base of each "A" frame.... leaving a small block footprint on each leg.
Probably not.... 

DSCN2297.JPG.2909874f114255db150cd6a176d0e822.JPG

Sawdust Dave -

Current build - USS Constitution 1:60th (scratch)....

Visit my blog site - All previous builds.... http://davesmodelships.blogspot.com

1 hour ago, JesseLee said:

What did you make them out of? They look great!

Jesse

Jesse - After a few feudal attempts, at creating the round pump heads, I went shopping and found a set of ladies beads in the jewelry department at WalMart.  

The individual beads were a perfect size....just needed a coat of brilliant gold spray paint.  

The other four parts of each head are simply a short piece of copper tube for the spout, a white vinyl cut out for the tops, and a brass washer for the base.  Note, I did have to create a very small brass washer for the bead to sit on above the larger brass washer base.

As for the frames and mechanical structure.... all wood and black wire.
This is truly the kind of scale modeling I enjoy most of all. 
Cheers

Sawdust Dave -

Visit my blog site - All previous builds.... http://davesmodelships.blogspot.com

Awesome!

Current Build: Model Shipways USS Frigate Constitution

Past Builds:    Bob Hunt's kitbash of the Mamoli Rattlesnake

Model Shipways Typical Ship’s Boat for the Rattlesnake

Mini-Mamoli solid hull British Schooner Evergreen
                         Model Airways Albatros D.Va - 1917, The Red Baron's Forgotten Fighter

​Member: Nautical Research Guild

Dave, those pumps are works of art.   Beautiful.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Closing shop in a state of total confusion.  It's too darned late, and I'm just too tired to figure it out tonight.
Using the gun deck plans provided by the museum, I laid out and cut the opening for the next hatch with companionways.  The plans show this to be much wider (port to starboard) than the two previous companionways on each side of the capstan.....and having a large middle area of four grating panels.  Also, the stairs running from fore to aft.
So I decided to check it out using the Google Street View tour for the first time.....really cool.  I'm really enjoying the tour until I come to the area I just cut out on my model....And THAT is when I fell out of my chair!

Very clearly, the companionway openings are the same size as the other two I previously completed, and the stairs are running port to starboard, just like the others.  Blew my mind!
Lights out! 

Sawdust Dave -

When in doubt, Dave, go with the plans.  There's been so many changes over the years that she probably only matches the plans in her hull shape.  Ok.. maybe some other areas also.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

5 hours ago, mtaylor said:

When in doubt, Dave, go with the plans.  There's been so many changes over the years that she probably only matches the plans in her hull shape.  Ok.. maybe some other areas also.  

So glad to hear you say that Mark.  It is exactly what I came to the shop early this morning planning to do.  Onward ho....

Cheers

Sawdust Dave -

I dare say, anyone who thinks scratch building model ships is a "low stress" hobby has never done anything like this..... yahaha

DSCN2302.JPG.00734003586e8ddaeaa9fc6ff8ecf4ab.JPG

Sawdust Dave -

This is too funny!

Here's the cardboard cutout I just drew plank lines onto and stained for the false deck I'll glue into the bottom of the big hole....
So what's wrong with this picture?

DSCN2303.thumb.JPG.2ef3ba00fa0494ca00845330a3359d01.JPG

Sawdust Dave -

I think that yer planks are too short, Dave ... and waaaaay too wide !!

:cheers:

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

17 minutes ago, CaptainSteve said:

I think that yer planks are too short, Dave ... and waaaaay too wide !!

:cheers:

A little short or wide.... not a concern since they are hardly visible down in the hole at the bottom of the companionway stairs.
Something else CapSteve.

Sawdust Dave -

They be runnin' the wrong way ... which was what I was getting at above.

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

1 hour ago, CaptainSteve said:

They be runnin' the wrong way ... which was what I was getting at above.

YEP!

Yahahahaha.

Sawdust Dave -

The large coaming with grating panels and two companionways installed.

coaming2.thumb.JPG.f16ee8c7e4e6e2f1a23d28e7aab8127b.JPG

There is one more coaming with companionway passages down from the gun deck.  
At this point, I'm studying the ship's big stove as the next fixture I'll work on.  I haven't built a ship's stove since my Confederacy.... should be a fun build.

I can also play with the Grog Tub, Scuttle Butt, and several of the small water tubs scattered around.

Meantime, I would be interested if anyone happens to have a good closeup of the Barber Chair.

Sawdust Dave -

How do you know the ship had a dedicated chair for the barber? And don't forget, the barber of those times was many times, the ship's surgeon who did the "medical" procedure of blood letting (hence the red & white barber pole). I would imagine, any chair that was available was used; but I talking off the top of my head...no research.

Jon

BTW, I found no pictures or plans

Chain Pots....
After further study, decided I must put off the ships stove for now because of the potential for damage to it when I have to cut into the deck again very close to it.
So, the more prudent task of creating these four little chain pots became next in line.

5970ce68b8bef_chainpots.thumb.JPG.0359a85d5ec44d61bdb8c8f3dac9f13d.JPG

Looks like I will be playing with the development of a grog tub, water barrel, and scuttle butt next.

Cheers

Sawdust Dave -

Gun Deck Barrels....

I'm taking a really simple approach to these three gun deck containers (scuttlebutt, grog tub, and water barrel).
The shapes first turned on the lathe and marking location of each brass band.
A couple of coats of golden oak poly is applied to the forms before adding the bands.

barrals.thumb.JPG.2544ea0307845597a7226c89fbb8d3ba.JPG
There are still two low tables to tables to build.
I'm still working on creating the 80 proof grog.... may just go with Jack Daniels.

Cheers

Sawdust Dave -

Scuttlebutt, grog, and water containers finished....

Slowly but surely, her gun deck is taking shape.

barrals2.thumb.JPG.675df4e820ac61edb887124f3659f195.JPG

Next.... rip out some more deck for the last companionway module.

Sawdust Dave -

G'day Dave 

Been under the weather for the past week or so.

Your model is coming on at a great pace.

All things are brilliant and I'm sure you will still have some hair left after this model is done.

Havagooday my mate 

Greg 

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

Current log : The Royal Yacht Royal Caroline 1749 1:32 by Greg Ashwood:...

3 hours ago, JosephHuntley said:

looks good dave but where are all the fun to make things lol like the million tiny water buckets and barrel scrubbers for each gun hehehe

I try not to think about things like that Joseph.
A statement made in an interview I just saw last night on TV about "How to eat an elephant" really struck me.... "You  eat an elephant one piece at a time."
I think that should be a scratch modeler's motto.

Thanks for your visit.

Sawdust Dave -

The USS Gerald Ford was commissioned today.  The largest and most powerful US warship in our country's history.  I was curious to see a comparison of this modern war ship to the actual greatest war ship in our history.
1,500 feet compared to 240 feet..... would look something like this.

We've come a long way baby!

Ford.jpg.8af047f45919fee45fa3295dff5aee19.jpg

Sawdust Dave -

The last of the gun deck companionways installed....

With this final passage way installed, I can proceed to the chain bits and the ship's stove.

coaming3.JPG.ac0da6d52b1415751e2d66f687e96378.JPG

Those tiny cannon balls are rat shot pellets from my 22 cal pistol ammo.  I think I purchased those cartridges at least 20 years ago.

Sawdust Dave -

I'm still working toward that ship's stove.... getting much closer.

The last three days have been spent developing sketches from internet photos.

sketches.thumb.JPG.07d16b4c4fbcdd841c556bdf150a42ab.JPG

sketches2.thumb.JPG.66d686c5c803a5a418a172be91fb9fe7.JPG

With a solid plan in hand, here is the foundation platform.... the four chain bitts needed to be added at this point, so I also added the little base around the fore mast.

5977744d73e44_chainbitts.thumb.JPG.8b727b0ba3986ed6e4eb24af7b52abdd.JPG

Sawdust Dave -

You may want to look at this for inspiration, tips, and techniques:

BUILDING A SHIP’S STOVE, Allan Yedlinsky 

Thanks for the great reference Jon.  The link to Allan Yedlinsky's stove would have been very helpful had I received in two days ago.  Clearly the stove I completed this morning (seen below) falls far short of the masterpiece in his tutorial.
I did manage to capture most of what I was able to make out from the images found on line.

Note that, after taking the first two shots, I saw that the handles on the three vents on top had been left off.... third pic is after they were fitted.

stove2.JPG.1d4aa7500effb93073103c0fa9eeae85.JPG

stove3.JPG.e0b423304995d6e5bc81db210678febf.JPG

stove5.thumb.JPG.fbb0982502fefd1086afbcfe08221493.JPG

Sawdust Dave -