USS Constitution by SawdustDave - FINISHED - 1:60th Scale

She looks great Dave; very nice job.  As you said she looks particularly good with the backdrop painting, but as others have said keep the dust off her.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Dave, Great job! Now your mornings are free to exercise! :dancetl6:

Ken

Current build: Maersk Detroit"
Future builds:  Mamoli HMS Victory 1:90
Completed builds: US Brig Niagara, Dirty Dozen, USS Constitution, 18th Century Armed Longboat
https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/11935-uss-constitution-by-xken-model-shipways-scale-1768/

So what's next, Ken, something in metal? I assume you've had enough rigging for awhile! Hope you'll post any non-ship model builds in the appropriate area on our site.

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

Greg, I have been busy on a couple of projects for Model Expo kits. Cannot post until authorized but it does involve some rigging. :cheers:

Ken

Current build: Maersk Detroit"
Future builds:  Mamoli HMS Victory 1:90
Completed builds: US Brig Niagara, Dirty Dozen, USS Constitution, 18th Century Armed Longboat
https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/11935-uss-constitution-by-xken-model-shipways-scale-1768/

TYING UP A COUPLE OF LOOSE ENDS THIS MORNING.....

So after taking a couple of "victory laps", I began studying the model for any tweeks needed to make it better.
First thing I discovered was the absence of the ships bell. 

Here's the big brass wood screw I used to create the bell.
bell2.JPG.da348b8f9339236c3b42909984d7ed55.JPG

OK, so I wasn't able to etch the lettering seen here in this photo of the real bell.

bell.thumb.jpg.0c3f887eae70ad35651a52ca761a0f1a.jpg

Mounted on the fore side of the main mast.

bell4.thumb.JPG.3a58241e130763cd03640aab47d7e605.JPG

Now, I can begin creating a few dozen rope coils to hang on all those belaying pins

Edited by SawdustDave

Sawdust Dave -

Current build - USS Constitution 1:60th (scratch)....

Visit my blog site - All previous builds.... http://davesmodelships.blogspot.com

Beautiful "Old Ironsides" amazing! Makes me look sort of , disappointedly at my plastic Revel Constitution... but it was really my first large ship model, just hadn't found the joy of wooden models yet.

Current:         Emma C. Berry Lobster Smack-Model Shipways-1:32-1866

Back on the shelf:    USS Essex- MS- "Old Yellow Box" Solid Hull  Wall Hanger (Half Hull)                                                                                                                                                                                              

Completed:    18th Century Armed Longboat-MS 1/24

USN Picket Boat-MS 1864 1/24                                  

US Brig Syren by Sea Hoss- Model Shipways-1803

18th Century Carronade/Ship Section

Mayflower-Pilgrims Pride by Sea Hoss-Model Shipways-1620

18th Century Long Boat by Sea Hoss-Model Shipways

USS Constitution by Sea Hoss-Revel-Plastic

Went to that link.  The book by Dave McCann appears to be a photo documentation of his build.... doesn’t say what scale, but I’m guessing it is likely a 1:72 kit.

I am not aware of another 1:60th model.

Sawdust Dave -

Visit my blog site - All previous builds.... http://davesmodelships.blogspot.com

So why pay $90 bucks for a book when we can enjoy the entire build logs by such master modelers as KenX right here on MSW?
:10_1_10:

Sawdust Dave -

NEXT PROJECT.... DECISION

After careful consideration, and discussion with an old friend, I ordered my first manufactured kit ever today.

Chuck Passaro’s English Pinnace is my clear choice for a beautiful model that does not require rigging shrouds and tying rat lines.

While I'm not exactly sure if this will be achievable, my plan is to increase the scale to at least double the size of the completed model..... (from roughly 12" to 24")

Should be quite a challenge. 

Very excited to be able to, once again, be working with the clear instructions written by the Master.

Dave

Edited by SawdustDave

Sawdust Dave -

A real kit bash then?   :)  Sounds great, count me in to watch this.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Fantastic looking finish on your ship Dave.  I'll try to keep up with your next build.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Thank you

10 hours ago, Piet said:

Fantastic looking finish on your ship Dave.  I'll try to keep up with your next build.

Thank you my friend.  Always great hearing from you.  Hoping you and Gwin are still doing well.

Sawdust Dave -

• 2 years later...

Hello Dave,

greetings from Germany. I'm currently building the 1:98 Mantua kit version of the U.S.S. Constituition and took many ideas and hints from your sensational realization.

Well, my documentation is in German and still underway (there is some way to go until I can start masting and rigging; hull is ready and spardeck is equipped say two thirds). If someone wants to see the pictures here we go: https://1drv.ms/b/s!Ai8WwbJTHkuTjaEppjc5VjYLqxW46w?e=2R9niN

Winfried