SIEG SXO micro Milling Machine

Ran across a reference to this mill and was wondering if anyone had any experience with one?

It looks like a good compromise between the larger Sieg X2 mill and the smaller Sherline and Taig offerings.

One thing that looked very good compared to the smaller mills was the all cast iron construction.  Heavier the aluminum mills but much more rigid.  It also has a larger motor (150w vs 90w for the Sherline) and uses ER16 collets rather than the 8mm collets for the Sherline. 

post-321-0-70040500-1482610162.jpg

My advice and comments are always worth what you paid for them.

That looks like the same one I bought from MicroMark years ago.  A bit underpowered and the table is "odd" in that the slots are 4mm and finding hardwae, vices, etc. is a tough thing.  Speed is limited to 2500 rpm unless you're willing to risk the bearings by swapping out the drive pulleys.  There are accessories such as collets (ER-16 as I recall) but most of the other tooling such as dividing heads, rotary table, even vices are too large for the table.  

It can be done, but there were times it was a pain to find the tooling to fit.

Pity you're not a lot closer... you could have my Micromark machine...    Just sitting in the garage while I figure out what to do with it.

Disclaimer... I replaced my Micro Mill with a LittleMachineShop Mill.    Much happier.

Edited by mtaylor

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Specs on this one say it has 8mm table slots (same as Sherline) and a top speed of 2800rpm.  Maybe the Micro Mark model is an earlier model.

I would guess that any accessory that works with a Sherline mill would work with the Sieg.  The Sieg is a bit larger than the Sherline and might be able to use some of the mini mill accessories as well.

Edited by grsjax

I had one for several years. It was a family hand me down. I primarily used it as a drill press. Didn't notice any power issues and I pretty much used it within its limits. In getting into miniature modeling and tool making I decided to upgrade to the Sieg X2 and to retool to that machine. 

Dupree

"A slow steady hand conquers a fast shaky mind" - me

HMS Triton 1:32 Cross Section

Specs on this one say it has 8mm table slots (same as Sherline) and a top speed of 2800rpm.  Maybe the Micro Mark model is an earlier model.

I would guess that any accessory that works with a Sherline mill would work with the Sieg.  The Sieg is a bit larger than the Sherline and might be able to use some of the mini mill accessories as well.

I'll go out and check that again.  You're probably right about the 8mm and I'm having a senior moment.  It might be an earlier model..  I did some Googling and see several different models with the X0 designation.  

I had one for several years. It was a family hand me down. I primarily used it as a drill press. Didn't notice any power issues and I pretty much used it within its limits. In getting into miniature modeling and tool making I decided to upgrade to the Sieg X2 and to retool to that machine. 

I didn't have issues using it as a drill press, but turning the knob was a bit inconvenient.  My biggest issues were power and speed.  Speed for the cutting and finish and power as all milling had to be done in very tiny increments.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I've always like the look of this one. It has a handy 5000 rpm top speed.

http://littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=4700

That is a nice one.  I really like the 5.5" throat.  Makes it a lot more usable.