HM Bark Endeavour by REXY - Artesania Latina - scale 1:60 - 1768 as she appeared after refit before her scientific observation voyage

Well done Rexy,

A milestone in itself plying the first layer on.

Am I allowed to say, now the fun starts with the second.

Have you thought of how the hull/planking will be finished ?

The lay of the planks ?

Clear or part painted ?

post-13593-0-22944200-1487219060_thumb.jpg

This Picture is of the bow of the Replica Endeavour, showing the planking coming forward.

Hope you don't mind me chiming in.

I finished mine clear with slight brownish stain below the waterline.

Dave R

Edited by DaveRow

Dave R

Measure twice, cut once.

Current Build: HMB Endeavour 1768

(In the shipyard being constructed)

thanks dave i have the anatomy of a ship endeavour in pdf, it is in german but all i need is the pictures which shows the run of the bow and stern planks. i did notice that the way the AL kit shows to be planked looks completely wrong and had looked at the replica for info, but the pictures you posted will be of much help. now i do intend to follow the paint scheme of the replica minus the white lower hull as was discussed on page 3 with some great input from shipaholic and BANYAN as to her colour scheme.

Cheers Rexy.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

G'Day, sailors 

I am back, it has been a while because i got the job and now the only free time i have is the weekends, that being said i am going to try and use each weekend on the boat. well back to the boat i have most of the hull sanded it just needs a bit of filler in a few places, after that the keel will be going on and i can start on the second layer. but first some pics of my progress.

Cheers REXY.

IMG_20170513_154941280.thumb.jpg.ae99f7ba7e1c0b43dee6d559e589a70c.jpgIMG_20170513_154955453.thumb.jpg.654ff14014e541875f7a0a0bfb3f9461.jpgIMG_20170513_155009359.thumb.jpg.f990a960ca540fa234b78b532e5ff699.jpgIMG_20170513_155206785.thumb.jpg.955b549aa174673247a400485662aeec.jpgIMG_20170513_155210771.thumb.jpg.252d167a1506c3276bc78c085afa6b38.jpgIMG_20170513_155223820.thumb.jpg.77ef8480e35e41edc679801d4baedd18.jpg

Congratulations on the job!! Great to see yo back Rexy. Very nice work on the hull, it looks like the end result, beautiflul. Hmmm, I see you have a similar taste for lubricant when working in dusty surroundings ;)

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Welcome back Rexy. Beautiful neat planking job. I'd like to spend every weekend on my build but my missus usually has other ideas. 

Cheers 

Steve

Current Build: HMB Endeavour 1:51 (Eaglemoss part work)

Previous Builds: USS Constitution (Revell plastic) HMS Victory 1:96 (Corel) HMB Endeavour 1:60 (AL)

Welcome back Rexy and congrats n getting the job.  Don't worry, it only took me 14 years to do my Endeavour while working - slowly but surely will get you there.  The hull planking looks good.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

• 1 year later...

G'Day Sailors,

It has been a while, work and what not keeping my busy but over the past year i have managed to complete one half of the second layer of planking and am half way through the second side. The Result is fine just a lot of learning on were to shape planks on the first side. I do have some thoughts on the second layer though as it is only thin it tends to buckle when trying to achieve a bend vertically even if heated or steamed, this makes planking the bow a bit harder.

A few pics of the second layer.

IMG20180802195949.jpg

IMG20180802200004.jpg

• 2 years later...

imageproxy.php?img=&key=4f3b55ae31fcd018

On 8/2/2018 at 6:43 PM, REXY said:

The lines you can see are were i have excess silver marker on the edges of boards for the caulking effect but will go away when i sand the hull and any small gaps i plan on filling with some walnut filler to match the second layer.

Cheers REXY.

Just found the log as I've been given this model as a gift and have decided to start it to give me a break from my Carrack at times.

The build log will be helpful and I commend u on the progress, it looks great.

In regards to the walnut filler, I had the same idea with my Carrack but was glad I tested it with some dummy planks on a board with various gaps in between. As walnut colour varies so much it wasn't surprising  that the filler is hardly a match . In the end I used walnut sawdust mixed with some PVA glue and forced it into any small gaps. You might want to do some test pieces and find what suits u best.

I look forward to following your build. I've added a little test piece picture of the walnut filler. Hard to see but b4 I coated it with raw linseed oil the filler dried a light purple colour. I am leaving my carrack in all pure timber, no stain or colour at all, but I wanted to see what the filler looked like when stained.

hope this helps in some way.

Regards 

Peter 

image.jpg