Fright

Bluenose by Fright - Scientific

64 posts in this topic

I found this kit at a garage sale and, having never worked with wooden models, I thought I'd give this a go. It is kit #164-1695 and everything is complete except a few wooden railing pieces have been cut through. So it looks like I will be purchasing some wood sheets. I'm currently building Revell's 1:96 USS Constitution, so this project will be on and off whenever I need a break from my ship. The two decks had already been glued onto the one-piece hull by prior owner. There's a slight cut gap where they meet but I'll try to hide that with a small strip of wood later on. So far, I've glued the two keel parts to the hull and then used Elmer's Natural wood putty to fill in the seams and some dents in the hull. I've brushed on 3 coats of white primer with sanding done between each coat. Eventually, I will spray with gray primer once it is completely smooth for future spray painting. If some of you could help me with a few questions that I have:

1) I do not have any hobby stores locally, so does anyone know where I can purchase small orders of 1/16" thick wood sheets? Could anyone tell me whether I should be using balsa wood or basswood for these sheets? 

2) Working off a large sheet plan, do I follow parts in numerical order when building?

3) Where can I find an accurate color scheme for the Bluenose? 

4) Does anyone here have experience in building a Scientific model?

Again, this will be a slow adventure while I'm working on my Connie. Many thanks for any info, tips, advice etc. and greatly appreciated! Here's where I'm at present with this kit. Last pic is of damaged sheet that contains railings

post-23833-0-21600500-1483036973_thumb.jpg

post-23833-0-61499600-1483037019_thumb.jpg

post-23833-0-74328800-1483037040_thumb.jpg

post-23833-0-65430300-1483037050_thumb.jpg

post-23833-0-30721400-1483037085_thumb.jpg

Jond, donrobinson, Nirvana and 7 others like this

Nice find! This will definitely be a new challenge for you over the plastic kits. A lot of times on wooden kits there isn't much in the way of step by step directions. Instead they work more in the lines of here are the blue prints, you figure it out. I know that doesn't help much. I would recommend looking up some of the other build logs on her to see how others put her together. That might fill in some of the questions you have. It will also help to find people who have done Scientific model kits.

As for wood replacements, both Crown Timberyard and Wood Project Source are excellent companies for planking or sheet material. They are both on the homepage in the lower right area under our sponsors. They will have what you need and more! ;)

Good luck to you on this build! I look forward to watching it come together.

Nirvana, Fright, donrobinson and 1 other like this

If you have a craft store like Hobby Lobby or Michaels locally, they sell a variety of basswood or balsa.

I would choose basswood. It is denser and will be easier to work than balsa. Balsa is very soft and will crumble if not handled carefully. Basswood needs careful handling, but it is easier to deal with than balsa. Good luck with your build.

Russ

Nirvana, EJ_L, donrobinson and 1 other like this

^5 E.J. and Russ for your information on the wood. The wood sheets that came with this kit seem a harder wood than the hull. Even my finger nails made a dent while sanding down one of the primer coats on the hull! As for the blueprint/instructions, it is totally different than what one sees with a plastic model kit. There's not a lot of written directions - but real scale diagrams with a lot of numbers! :)  Thanks for your help and have yourselves a good New Years!!!  :champagne-popping-smiley-emotic

Nirvana, donrobinson and EJ_L like this

Fright

I surely shall.  My current build is on a siding as I figure out how to build good dories.  I am into my new effort of carving a plug but just too many interruptions.

enjoy

Nirvana, EJ_L, Fright and 1 other like this

Russ - thanks for that tip on checking with craft stores. No pre-cut ship rails (wishful thinking ;) ), but they did carry

1/16" thick sheets of basswood at Jo-Ann's Crafts. 

donrobinson, EJ_L and Nirvana like this

I'm wondering if anyone can advise me on how to attach bulwarks onto my Scientific Bluenose hull? I cut out forward bulwarks from 1/16" basswood; I then soaked in hot water and bent into my form needed. I cannot figure out how to clamp in place while wood glue would set up. Any ideas appreciated on my 1st wooden ship build.  :unsure: Here's a photo of deck and bulwark:

DSCN3704.jpg

donrobinson, Nirvana, EJ_L and 2 others like this

What I like to do is use CA glue like a tack weld to hold pieces in place until the wood glue sets up. Just place small dabs of the CA every so often on the edge you are gluing and then you only have to hold it for a few seconds for the CA to cure.

Another way would be to use spacers on the inside of the bulwarks to support them and then use rubber bands around the outside to sandwich the bulwarks to the spacers and apply pressure to bond them to the hull. If you have a piece of Styrofoam, that works good as you can easily cut to shape.

donrobinson, Fright and Nirvana like this

E.J.  :stunned:  I kept thinking about cutting out deck shapes from wood as bracing but Styrofoam shapes are much easier. 

donrobinson and EJ_L like this

Well,  a new year and here is a pic of where I am on this kit. I installed my side bulwarks. I know my scuppers are not correct but my plans made no mention of them. My stancions on bulwarks are probably too few but I'm going with what I have. I used extremely hot water with some vinegar to soak and bend my rails. They need to have putty used to fill in seams and sanding but they're on! 

DSCN3725.jpg

DSCN3728.jpg

EJ_L, Nirvana, donrobinson and 6 others like this

January - made patterns of railings on tracing paper; cut out and used glue stick to mount them on wood; cut out and removed paper from the wood railings. Came really close to proper fitting! Did the same on fantail rail and the stem brace on bow. I added a second stem brace which I will sand down until it meets smoothly with the railings. I need to finish my rudder by adding the pintle and gudgeon. The instructions calls for cutting them out  of paper but I am going to try use copper strips cut from a sheet that I picked up at HobbyLobby.

DSCN3741.jpg

DSCN3742.jpg

russ, Nirvana, coxswain and 5 others like this

Her hull lines are shaping up nicely. When you are all done patching and smoothing she will look sharp!

Fright and Nirvana like this

The plans that I have made no reference to monkey boards or railings but I came across these on someone's build and I thought I'd add them to mine. I've been cutting all of my pieces from a 1/16" thick sheet of basswood. The boards were 1/16" square and the rails were 1/4" in width. Got them installed today and filled in seams with putty. Also drilled and mounted the metal hawse holes on the bow.

The plans called for cutting paper strips for the pntles & gudgeons for rudder. I cut out a long strip from brass sheet and the cut into 6 smaller lengths. I used some needle nose pliers to bend into U-shaped form. Glued 3 to keel and 3 to rudder. Added a wood pin into top of rudder that will fit into hole drilled into hull for stability. 

Hopefully, I can sand everything smooth and get ready to paint the hull this week.

DSCN3744.jpg

DSCN3743.jpg

hof00, russ, Nirvana and 4 others like this

Finished with putty work, sanding and have primed hull with flat white. The rudder is attached complete with brass pintles/gudgeons instead of cut paper strips as called for. I'm really happy the way the monkeys rails turned out. Next step will be to tape off my white strip and proceed to paint upper and lower hull black and dark red.

DSCN3750.jpg

EJ_L, russ, Nirvana and 3 others like this

The hull is coming along well. Very good work so far.

One area to examine. The lower part of the stern looks a little full yet. You might want to reexamine that area.

Russ

Fright, jbshan, EJ_L and 1 other like this

Russ - by the term 'full', do you mean to it is too thick ? Wide?  Does it need to be sanded down more? I'm not familiar with this term. Any help gretaly appreciated.

EJ_L and Nirvana like this

Yes, full means there needs to be more material removed. The bottom area coming up towards the stern is a bit thick yet. If you feel along the hull (along that curve where it begins turn upwards towards the deck) as it flows back towards the stern, there is a bulging area right under the stern that looks like it needs sanding down. See the area marked red.

Russ

post-164-0-18637200-1486604618_thumb.jpg

Thank's Russ for taking the time to point this out to me. I'll tackle more sanding and shaping tomorrow. Cheers and enjoy your evening!

Nirvana and EJ_L like this

The bow could be a little more streamlined, but he has already attached the keel and the stem. That will make any alterations to the bow difficult. It is best to proceed with caution in that area for fear of damaging the stem.

Russ

Nirvana and Fright like this

Piter - wow - I wish I was looking at your plans instead of mine! My plans do not show that small vertical stern strip between rudder and hull. They certainly made no mention of monkey boards or rails either on this kit. At this point, I'm leaving the bow slope alone but, thankfully, Russ pointed out my stern needed to be streamlined. I started my 1st coat of Testors Dark Red on the lower hull but it will not be effected by the sanding/putty work needed for the upper stern shaping. I want to thank you both for taking a look and pointing these things out to me. I'm hoping that by the time I finish this wooden kit and complete my 1:96 USS Constitution by Revell, I'll have the confidence to tackle another wooden kit by one of the more detailed and well-known companies.

“What you get by achieving your goals is not as important as what you become by achieving your goals.”

― Henry David Thoreau

EJ_L and piter56 like this

Russ - thanks again! Here's my re-worked stern section with just a little more sanding required to smooth out by rudder - but waiting for my dark red paint to completely dry. I can see 3-4 spots where the gloss red paint 'bled' under tape, but that's easily corrected. Upper hull will be painted a gloss black and, once dried, I will buff them out with 4000-12000 sanding pads.

DSCN3764.jpg

DSCN3762.jpg

That is much better. One thing you should consider is rounding off that area as it turns up towards the deck. It looks like there is still just a little wrinkle there that needs to be smoothed out. Other than that, it looks very good. Nice work.

Russ

Fright and EJ_L like this

Russ - thanks again for your help and for pointing this out to me before I got any further. Once the red is dried, I'll work on rounding up the edge. I also need to hit a little wood bulge right next to the rudder, but it already has an improved look compared to before.

Nirvana, russ and EJ_L like this

3) Where can I find an accurate color scheme for the Bluenose? 

I borrowed this from another forum and I really hope I'm not doing anything wrong or immoral by reposting.

A modeler wrote to Smith and Rhuland Ltd in 1970 and the reply was:

Cabin Sides - White

Sills and Top of Cabin - Light Gray

Pin Rails - White with varnished edges

Ratchet Supports - White with varnished tops

Winch Supports - White with varnished tops

Dories - Buff or Midtan

Masts - These were oiled and appeared to be varnished

Booms - Same as masts with white jaws

Decks - Oiled resembling varnish

Mast Hoops - Varnished

Stanchions and Inside Bulwarking - White

Waterways - Gray

Forecastle House - White with varnished corner posts

Bowsprit - Oiled resembling varnished

Mast Head - White

Crosstrees - White

Top Masts - Oiled resembling varnish

Wheel Box - Top White, Sides varnished and sills gray

Rails - White Top, varnished edges

Hatches - Gray with white hatch covers

Cabin Slider - Top white, Runners varnished

Hull - Topsides Black, Bottom Red Copper, Waterline 3" wide boot top

Hope this helps

Nirvana and Fright like this

Derek - nothing immoral on my end about this post! The karma you will receive in your next life.... LOL  Thank you so very much for sharing this post on the Bluenose color scheme. This will be a wonderful help to me, as well as someone else down the channel. I see you've got a higher end Bluenose in the wings. Best to you on that build and I hope you will share your photos! Cheers!!!

Nirvana likes this

Got some time to do some work this morning on on the model. I did some taping and applied two coats of Gloss Black paint on her upper hull. Later this evening, I removed all tape and both, my white line and the black came out really clean. In a couple of days, I'll tape and paint my pintles/gudgeons brass on the rudder. I've started to work on the deck furnishings.

I believe this model is close to 1:72 scale. I used the formula of real length of boat, multiplied by 12, then divided by length of model. It came out to 1.71 something. 1:72 is close enough. Here's my question if someone can help me on this: The windlass barrel was not in this kit, so I'd like to purchase one from BlueJacketInc. They show 3 sizes but in inches. 1" (3/32"scale); 1-3/8" (1/8" scale) and 7/8" (1/8" scale. Would anyone know if one of these will fit my scale boat?    and/or From another company with correct size? Big help on this one! :huh:

DSCN3785.jpg
DSCN3786.jpg

russ, Nirvana, EJ_L and 4 others like this

The paint job looks great. Good tape job. Keep in mind that on a small model, less gloss is better. The flatter the finish, the better the scale appearance, especially in smaller models.

Russ

Fright, Nirvana and EJ_L like this