Fright

Bluenose by Fright - Scientific

63 posts in this topic

I really like the shine that I got but maybe I should spray her with some Dullcoat. I used it on both my Liberty Ship and Constitution.

EJ_L, russ and Nirvana like this

That is a good idea. It will improve the overall look of the model.

Russ

Fright, Nirvana and EJ_L like this

Worked on the bowsprit. My plans show only a Samson post, but I went ahead and included the platform, and bowsprit bits as well. I used only a clear lacquer spray on the forward part of bowsprit instead of painting it black. I'm working off a color chart from Smith & Rhuland Ltd (provided by Worldway - Derek) that states the bowsprit was 'oiled resembling varnish'. It is painted white from Samson post to bow. I also stained the main rails and painted the tops of monkey rails flat white. Have started to to work on the foc's'le companionway and two boats as well.

DSCN3792.jpg

DSCN3795.jpg

The paint job looks sharp. My only suggestion would be to dull it down a bit, but otherwise it looks very good. A matte or nearly flat finish makes for a better scale appearance.

Nice work.

Russ

Nirvana, EJ_L and donrobinson like this

Hey Fright, I like your scuppers.  As you said, they aren't historically accurate but I think for someone imagining what they should be you did a great job. Unfortunately, the way this ship heeled under racing sail it probably would have taken on a ton of water with your scuppers and likely slowed the ship down. I'm debating about adding scuppers to mine.  They are small and there is a ton of them.  Someone suggested that they are barely noticeable therefore easily eliminated.  I would use your idea but my kit doesn't build in a way that they would work.

Nirvana, EJ_L, donrobinson and 1 other like this

You're right Derek - after I looked at some of the photos and the pdf file on the Bluenose model, I should have used a fine drill bit to make the small scupper holes along the deck line. At this point, I'm going to pass on doing more putty work, drilling and painting. LOL Like any good captain, I'll be goin' down with the ship! Once again, I want to thank you for that color scheme you shared with me. Very helpful.

Nirvana and EJ_L like this

Slow work but my two dories are coming along. I cut and stained my floor boards and have started to cut out the seats.

DSCN3797_1.jpg

donrobinson and hexnut like this

I took a little break while our daughter and 3 year old grandson visited with us from Los Angeles. Our little buddy was fascinated by my models, so we spent some quality time working on my dories. He helped glue in my seats and dipped my line in 50/50 water/white glue mix for the rope coils to be used inside. I promoted his rank up to 1st mate! :dancetl6:I have installed my Samson's post/bowsprit bits (painted flat white); the club traveler wire (flat black); the formast's fife rail (flat white/rust); the companionway hatch (flat white/neutral grey/wood stain); galley stack (flat black); and dories with their cradles (cradle painted flat white/wood stain). Dories were painted (flat white/buff/clear stain).

16864736_10212088576991855_3258388115147

DSCN3985.jpg

DSCN3977.jpg

Very nice work on the details. The dories look great.

Russ

donrobinson likes this

Russ - many thanks for taking a look. I plan to add two eye bolts to each side of the cradles for lashing the dories fast to the ship. 

Jack12477, russ and donrobinson like this

Really good Sir,

Also teaching a younger generation some "Hands-On" skills, rather lacking in todays World.

Cheers....HOF.

I wish my sons 9 and 11 had the same enthusiasm as your grandson. unfortunately, model building doesn't come with a game controller so they aren't interested.  You're doing a great job and she is looking really nice.  Your attention to detail is incredible.  Very impressive.

It's funny, reading this log I wouldn't have put you as a grandfather.  I was thinking maybe you were late 30's early 40's.  I deal with people all day long on the phone and usually when you eventually meet them they are nothing as you thought.:)

HOF - :) thanks for the comment on our little 'buddy'! I'm thankful he was so interested. He played with one of the dories for two days. We surprised him with a foot long plastic pirate ship that was waiting for him back in Los Angeles. His two favorite characters are Captain Jack Sparrow and Jack Skellington. He's following in gran-pa's shoes! Thanks for taking a peek.

DEREK - Thanks for the moral boast on the boat and for the compliment on my age ;) I'll be 65 in another month. I wish I had the time to work on both of my models but this one seems to have moved to the top of the list. Thanks again for sharing that color chart with me, I have been trying to follow it closely. I'm getting off easy with this build compared to your POB kit from Model Shipways. I hope to try my hand at one of those kits in the future. Cheers!

Got a little more work done today. I added the steering box and wheel, along with the grating behind the main cabin. Added another galley stack to top on main cabin. The fife rail for main mast is now in place. Both dories have been lashed to their cradles and secured to deck. Added the forward scuttle and grating in front of the companionway hatch. Put together the windlass and it is temporarily sitting in it's place. Next step will be to cut and add anchor chain to windlass and add the kedge anchor to the deck.

DSCN3993.jpg

DSCN3992.jpg

Heronguy, hexnut, russ and 6 others like this

I have a question about the two masts. The original owner of this kit drilled two holes in deck for the masts and they seem to be vertical to the deck. Do the masts sit vertical to the deck or is there a slight angle that is required? Should the two masts be glued in place or held in place by rigging and shrouds? 

I've still got a few more items I need to complete on the deck and hull but I'd like to start finding my information about mast and rigging ahead of time. Thanks for any help or information!:huh:

donrobinson and EJ_L like this

My notes imply a 5 degree rake in the fore and mainmast but I can't find a definitive reference to that just now.  In my kit it suggests taking the angle from the plans.  Perhaps your plans will show the rake?

I think your going to want to have the masts glued down unless your kit has some other way of firmly supporting the stepped masts before rigging.  

I'll be interested to hear more informed opinions.  

Your build is going really well!

EJ_L, donrobinson, Fright and 1 other like this

Doug - thank you for your reply. To my eyes, the masts look like they should be 'leaning' slightly back (towards the stern) but I was unable to find any information about that tilt online. This is my 1st wooden kit and I know that Scientific were very basic and inexpensive kits for beginners like myself. The one page plan is helpful but is very basic and omits many of the deck furnishings, so I am a little leery in following what I see. I keep referring to the Bluenose Practicum, as well as looking at other builds, for help in comparing notes on what is missing or different from my plans. 

This is my 5th model build and my 1st wooden kit and, as much as I have liked working in plastic, working with wood gives one a feel that one is actually creating something that is ready to go to sea in! I still need to finish my Constitution by Revell and have the America on the shelf, but I would like to purchase an entry-level wooden kit that involve planking hull and deck as my next project. There are so many kits to choose from, I am trying not to get in over my head on the 'next' model. 

Once again, many thanks for your help and information on the masts! Cheers!

EJ_L, donrobinson, Heronguy and 2 others like this

Popeye - hello and thanks for taking a look. I hope my attempt at the rigging will not be my downfall. All of the knots and lines look overwhelming right now. I have the book 'Rigging a Period Ship' but I get lost in a lot of the terminology! :o My plans say 'tie a knot' ... LOL  BUT, this is a learning experience and I hope I will not get 'lost at sea'. Enjoy the week!

popeye the sailor and EJ_L like this

awwww,  don't let all the terms throw ya.......you'll get to know them in time.   that's with pretty much everything in this medium.......ya just gotta do it enough.   I need to practice a few knots myself.

again,  it's all part of the charm,  of this medium.

Fright and EJ_L like this

Howdy Robert,

I love the boat.  She is really coming along nicely.  I really liked your grandson helping.  You guys looked like you were both completely absorbed by your work!  They are blessings, ain't they?

Ciao for now

Fright and EJ_L like this

Worked on schooner Monday/Tuesday - almost there with deck fittings! Added both cross bits next to wheel; compass housing attached to main cabin roof; brass belaying pins glued to fife rails; water casks in place; engine housing for winch now in place; chain box; kedge anchor ( awaiting chain); both masts stained and in place (not glued - only for fitting purpose).

DSCN3998.jpg

DSCN4000.jpg

DSCN3999.jpg

Hi Chap,

Looking good!!

I don't know about you and your preferences when it comes to "Stepping" Masts but I do not glue these into the Hull.

I let the Standing Rigging hold the Masts steady and in the correct orientation.

IMO it makes for very fine "Tweaks" to be undertaken and if you ever have a "Breakage," (God Forbid!!), it's not so much of a drama to affect repair.

Me methodology only.... (Learned from the Late, Great Mr Manstini, "Ship Modelling Simplified")

Cheers....HOF.

popeye the sailor, Fright and EJ_L like this

HOF - from looking at different replies on the masts, it looks like some glue them and others do not. As you pointed out, I can see an advantage of being able to shift or remove masts if a repair should be needed. I'll try to take a  look at "Ship Modeling Simplified"- thanks for that tip. I tried my hand at a little rigging on my Capt. Kidd model and my biggest problem I kept running into, besides hearing a dreaded 'snap', was keeping a line from slacking after being tied off. I was using a basic square knot. Would you happen to know what knot is most commonly used that prevents this from happening?

If I understand the order of doing the masts correctly, I should:

Make a rig to hold my masts until mast, yards, booms etc are completely assembled

Work from forward to stern

Work from inside to out

Standing rigging 1st, then Running rigging last

Work evenly from starboard to port with rigging

* keep plenty of aspirin on hand and watch my language, if at all possible.

popeye the sailor and EJ_L like this

true....some do that.   but with some kits, the masts sit in the holes loosely......rigging may cause it to not sit perpendicular to the deck.   rather than agonize getting the rigging to align the masts,  I cement them in........jig'em if necessary.   my rule of thumb is,  as long as you have the rake between 4 and 6 degrees,  then your good.

your doing quite well on this model.....you may need to do another, to see if you really like the medium ;)  

Fright, EJ_L and Jack12477 like this