Bluenose II bow planking issue - advice requested

I'm new at this game and have encountered a problem that I'd like to correct in a sensible manner (i.e. I don't want to damage what I've done!).

When I planked the Bluenose bow I allowed the strips to overlap the false keel. I need to clear that space so that the stem, under-stem, and keel can be fixed to the false keel.

In the photo below I've drawn yellow lines to indicate the line of the false keel. 

post-26957-0-31561400-1483060547.jpg

I can file or sand away the planks (easy), or I can try to cut them (seems tricky).  I can't really visualize which will look  ok once the keel pieces are attached.  

I was considering painting the hull rather than second planking it.  I suppose I can use filler to try to fix things but I'd prefer not to have to do too much of that.

Suggestions?

Doug

Doug

Current BuildsBluenose II - AKrabbenkutter / Prince de Neufchatel / Essex Cross-section / Syren / Barque Stefano / Winchelsea / Half Hull / Maria HF31 - Dusek / Bandirma - Turkmodel

On the Shelf: Santisima Trinidad and Cross Section / HMS Cutter Alert / Tender AVOS / Confederacy

Suspended Build: Bluenose II - Billing Boats Nr 600 

I went ahead and filed out the channel where the stem and under-stem pieces fit.  I wasn't too difficult a fix after all.

post-26957-0-40670400-1483292065.jpg

post-26957-0-10283500-1483292074.jpg

Doug

Current BuildsBluenose II - AKrabbenkutter / Prince de Neufchatel / Essex Cross-section / Syren / Barque Stefano / Winchelsea / Half Hull / Maria HF31 - Dusek / Bandirma - Turkmodel

On the Shelf: Santisima Trinidad and Cross Section / HMS Cutter Alert / Tender AVOS / Confederacy

No, not fixed, just put it in place to check the fit.  Hull preparation still in process although I'm also keen to get on with deck planking for a change.

Doug

Doug

• 3 weeks later...

Doug,

Your fix looks very good. If you are concerned about the rabbet, then you can glue a thin strip to the outsides of the keel  after you mount it and after that a thin strip to the bottom, a false keel. Since the planking will tuck under the sides of the thin strip attached to the keel, this will give you a real rabbet although it is simulated.

I hope this helps.

Edited by ca.shipwright

Nice idea.  Thanks very much - I'm going to try that!

Doug

Doug

Put the sides on the keel first. then the false keel bottom and sand flush to the sides. It looks better that way.