ca.shipwright

Admiral - the movie

I ran across a historical drama on Netflix entitled Admiral. This is about the Dutch in the 17th Century and theire battles with England and France with a mention of Spain. The sailing ships and battle scenes are superb. The movie is subtitled in English as most of the dialogue is in Dutch which was very easy to follow. Of course, the English speak English and the French speak French. Since Netflix has it, it must be several years old. But, I don't recall any mentions here in the US.

IMHO well worth a viewing.

John Allen, Canute, EJ_L and 2 others like this

mtaylor   

We've had at least 4 topics on this....   ;)   :)   Do a search from the main page using "Ruyter" (without quotes) as the keyword.     It's true.. not much if any press in the US on it.

Canute likes this

mtaylor   

No problem...  Here in the States, this is a hidden movie.  I was looking for it and there really wasn't much out there.   :(   I don't do Netflix, so I'm even more in the dark.

Canute likes this

I watched a quasi documentary on my Kindle on Amazon Prime re: English and Dutch sea battles (Broadside:Emerging Empires Collide)

U.K. Dramatic Production. If memory serves covers middle 1600's to the point where the Dutch ceded New York to the British 2hrs.

donrobinson, Canute and mtaylor like this