Krabbenkutter by Heronguy - Billing Boats Nr 457&458 - Scale 1:30

Thanks Steve,

I'm slowly fixing the mistakes I've made so far and looking forward to making some forward progress. You've set the bar higher than I'll be aiming for this build but you're giving lots of ideas to think about.

P.S. I hope you're getting a commission from Proxxon - I just ordered their little saw.  You did guarantee that it would improve my results!

Doug

Current BuildsBluenose II - AKrabbenkutter / Prince de Neufchatel / Essex Cross-section / Syren / Barque Stefano / Winchelsea / Half Hull / Maria HF31 - Dusek / Bandirma - Turkmodel

On the Shelf: Santisima Trinidad and Cross Section / HMS Cutter Alert / Tender AVOS / Confederacy

Suspended Build: Bluenose II - Billing Boats Nr 600 

Are you looking forward to starting your Bluenose???

Doug

Yes I am very much but I won't touch it until my Mare Nostrum is done.  I have thought about starting it several times during my Nostrum build but have decided to wait.  However, I have done inventory on the Bluenose kit parts and have ordered a couple of extra things required.  I even have the plans sitting on the floor hoping to take the folds out of them.

Derek

If you want to build a ship, don't drum up the men to gather wood, divide the work and give orders. Instead, teach them to yearn for the vast and endless sea  

Antoine de Saint Exupery

Current Builds

Bluenose - Model Shipways - 1:64 Scale

Fair American - Model Shipways - 1:48 Scale

HMS Winchelsea 1764 - Group Build

On Deck

Guns of History Naval Smoothbore Deck Gun - 1:24 Scale

Finished Builds

Mare Nostrum - Artesania Latina - 1:35 Scale

Guns of History Carronade - Model Shipways - 1:24 Scale

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

excellent doug I think you will find it very usefull I will try to post more pics of how to use safely and setup I fear I may be teaching granny to suck eggs but all table saws deserve respect even tiny ones

I hope so - I still haven't figured out dust control - I'll probably just freeze in the barn when I have something to cut  :(

Post the pics - my worst experience with a table saw resulted in a broken finger from the kickback - not my finest hour!  Hopefully I've learned a bit of respect that will keep me and the little guy on speaking terms.

Doug

Current BuildsBluenose II - AKrabbenkutter / Prince de Neufchatel / Essex Cross-section / Syren / Barque Stefano / Winchelsea / Half Hull / Maria HF31 - Dusek / Bandirma - Turkmodel

On the Shelf: Santisima Trinidad and Cross Section / HMS Cutter Alert / Tender AVOS / Confederacy

Yes I am very much but I won't touch it until my Mare Nostrum is done.  I have thought about starting it several times during my Nostrum build but have decided to wait.  However, I have done inventory on the Bluenose kit parts and have ordered a couple of extra things required.  I even have the plans sitting on the floor hoping to take the folds out of them.

Derek you have a lot more won't power than me!  I'm afraid if I can I will!

Doug

Planking done, tidied up the stern bulwarks that I'd goofed on, and shaped the stern blocks.  Here is what she looks like now.

post-26957-0-68349200-1486313315_thumb.jpg

I thought the planking started out pretty well.   However I must have been a little aggressive on narrowing the upper strakes at the bow as when I got to the lower hull I had to add a stealer at the bow.  

I also think I should have figured out some way to form a rabbet at the bow.  The problem came in when I got below the bulkhead closest to the bow.  My strakes didn't continue the nice line of the upper ones.  Another job for wood filler!

Definitely slipped up by installing the propeller before finishing the lower hull planking.  It made that process much more awkward!

I used balsa wood to make the stern blocks.  I really wanted the wood to be easy to shape and balsa fit that bill.  I hope it will be robust enough when painted to withstand any little bumps I may inflict on it.  I've heard other comments that suggest painting with a coat of CA to provide a tougher surface.  Any other/better suggestions???

My plan for fixing the missing stern bulwarks didn't work out.  I'd cut a wide piece out of the scrap wood from the parts sheet.  It was easy enough to bend round the stern but due to the shape of the stern it wouldn't lie flat.  My solution was to use some narrow basswood strips since each was cut appropriately to the length needed to accommodate the curve.  I think that worked quite well.  The only problem with it was due to poor fairing of the starboard stern bulkhead extension - the resulting curve in the stern is a bit flatter than I needed.  Not a fatal flaw I think.

I'll move on to sanding and smoothing the hull.  I'm still trying to figure out how to install the rudder (see post #19).

Doug

Thanks for the suggestion Gemma. No planking on top of the balsa. I originally assumed it was just a filler block to be planked over but a closer look at plans convinced me otherwise.

It is not a single block. I actually used 1/2" square rods layer perpendicular on each layer. I thought about using a balsa sheet for the layers but it was quicker to use the rod. The advantage of the layers is that you can do some of the shaping when preparing the layers. I did a preliminary shaping on each layer after it was glued before adding the next layer. Worked for me.

Doug

cementing balsa in layers  creates nothing more that balsa plywood.......I'm sure it is a lot stronger than a preshaped block.   from what I see Doug,  the stern came out pretty good.    I noticed that the two stern parts weren't there   {I believe they are called part #13 in my production of the kit}.  I installed them later in the build,  so I could add the beams that go lengthwise to the bow.   this model,  as well as the Mary Ann model,  has a very pronounce rump.

great job so far.........she looks real good  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Thanks popeye,

My kit labels them 39 - that was supposed be my hint that they were installed later but I didn't get it at the time!

Happily filling and sanding just now.  Feeling like the hull will turn out OK

Doug

bulwark posts can always be added later.   basically,  their only purpose,  other than to supply a post,  is to aide the planking as it went around the stern.

you did fine  :)   

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

• 3 weeks later...

Moving on slowly.  The hull is painted.

IMG_0897.jpg.331c58bb73337ec5417c2f1645b53304.jpg

IMG_0899.jpg.abf519091d3c32869ebbcd588707a2fd.jpg

Doug

Trying out some of the deck furniture.  Nothing is fixed in place yet and lots more little bits to work on!

IMG_0947.jpg.9754ec2d511c91c5c9c1a70adf9f1602.jpg

IMG_0945.jpg.1567dc05e7d8975ae1a94a8d96353cf3.jpg

IMG_0946.jpg.da0a2d65d08ce9b666de6fe05b033e39.jpg

Doug

Merci Steve.  Much to do before this will be done.

Doug

looking good Doug :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Thanks popeye,  Pretty rough but I'm enjoying it.  Not trying for the "distressed" look on purpose!

Doug

Pretty well all the deck stuff is built.  Can't fasten anything down yet because I have to install the rudder and propeller (its in the mail!).

IMG_0960.jpg.1221884d1acad062bf0ae0101241e1da.jpg

Meanwhile I'm struggling to understand the rigging.  Not enough info on the plan to be sure what is going on.  It is pretty simple rigging on a fishing boat but getting the bits and pieces that I was given to serve the purposes required is turning out to be a challenge for me.  Stay tuned.

Doug

Yes and the old BB instructions leave one with a great deal of discretion.  I keep falling back to the belief that the pieces in a KIT should fit.  The reality creeps back in and I figure I'll have to make them fit or re-invent a solution.  No counting sheep for me when I turn in - mind is filled with shipbuilding issues!

Doug

she's look'in super.........good to see your making some progress :)   I enjoyed making all the little stuff on the deck. 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I was looking at all the brass fittings for the masts and nets and trying to decode the plans and part list.  Funny how I've got parts I can't find a use for and a few missing bits.  It was a 2nd hand kit so I can understand the missing bits - makes me wonder though if the previous owner dumped a few little extra pieces in from another build???

I was also feeling like BB had done me a favour by providing tapered doweling for the masts and boom and gaffs but quickly discovered they were a couple of mm oversized anyways - not a problem though - just more sawdust.

I can imagine finishing this build before all the snow is off the ground here.

Doug

perhaps he was using the box as an extra parts bin........your gain ;)   ........as for the missing bits.......well,......not so good.   when I was doing customer service for Tom,  he referred to me a customer,  whose problem was the mizzen mast and how to attach it.   I believe there is a hole for it in the deck platform,  but no way to cement it in firmly.   I had made a platform for the shrimp cooker,  and by drilling another hole in it,  it gave it a better anchor.   I also made a bracket to attach to the back of the pilot house.

all of our snow was gone........but the blizzard we got today changed all that!   now we have over a foot of snow again! :( 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I had thought about the mizzenmast support issue.  A bracket on the pilot house is a great idea thanks.

im going to review your syborn and Mary Ann logs to look for more ideas. 

Doug

the blogger site should have the rigging answers you are looking for........even some about the netting.   there are a couple of things I took from the Cux,  to put into the Mary Ann.......one of them was the catch rack and trays.   both of these hulls are identical......although I modified the aft deck on the Mary Ann.    any ideas you can use.........be my guest! ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

• 2 weeks later...

I found something else to like about Billing Boats kits.  The fittings are good quality and even after 2 or 3 decades you can get replacements!

I was missing some of their brass eyebolts and their rigging screws.  I ordered them on the 15th and they were in my mailbox on the 21st.  Thanks Billings USA.

Now I can assemble the masts.

IMG_1052.jpg.21b6a6cb8521acabcb586762beaa8df4.jpgIMG_1051.jpg.5e88542debc6af6da2b2b9c7cc1d4481.jpgIMG_1050.jpg.fcd9de3856a0eb6d54d4e2050bd8e04e.jpg

Doug

I'm curious about the rigging, looking good

Billing USA is a good place........Roger has done well in keeping it the way Tom did  { I miss the old days....and Tom & Susan}.   Ages of sail took over......done business with them as well ;) 

mast looks super Doug....goose neck brackets look really good!   you may want to push that tab further into the boom.......and to make it a little more decorative,  get some thin brass sheeting and cut some narrow strip.   fashion into a band and cement around where the goose neck is inserted.   it will protect the boom from any breakage or problems in the future ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Thanks popeye.  The goosenecks took several attempts to get to this stage.  I'm happy enough with them to use these ones. 

I am missing a mast band so I tried to make one this morning.  Not a very successful 1st try.

IMG_1054.jpg.5a93c7c8fbf89a3d4af295433cad26c4.jpgIMG_1055.jpg.cb7b00fa576d0fa8198472e6e2ad5482.jpg

This was a 0.5mm strap that I tried to bend around a 7mm diameter mandrel.  I think I need to find thinner brass strips before I can make anything that looks half decent.

I've been pouring over your photos on the CUX87 blog to try to help decode the various mast fitting and rigging in relation to my version of the kit.  i'm glad you've got that stuff up there!  I kept hoping everything will suddenly make sense to me but finally decided I just had to make some decisions and get on with it - its my boat after all!

Doug