Greetings from North Carolina

jedd

Hello everyone, I live in North Carolina and I am just getting started with model ship building.  I am retired now and was in search of a good hobby for some of my spare time.  I enjoyed building plastic models as a kid and though that I might like trying my hand at wooden ships so I bought a kit for an 18th Century Long Boat by Model Shipways about 2 months ago.  It seemed to be a good beginners project.  I am almost finished the build and have enjoyed the challenge.  I need the help of some of you experienced crew members to help me decide on the next model.  I have read the pdfs on Model Ship Kits and Kit Selection where I found much good advice.  Can you recommend kit makers who are known for their good quality and excellent instruction manuals?  I also need recommendations on which models would be best to consider for my second build.  Thanks in advance for any sound advice you can give me.

:bird-vi: 

Jedd

Welcome aboard Jedd,

As for your build, whatever you decide, make sure it has your interest and that you really want to build it.

That way you'll be more likely to get through the trials and errors.

I hope you get other answers as the only kit I've done was fom Constructo.

Anyway, when you begin your next build, feel free to start a buildlog.

This is a great site for learning/sharing tips and techniques.

If needed, you'll find plenty of help, advise and encouragement from everyone.

Enjoy your stay here.

I wish you smooth sailing and happy modelling.

Regards,

Anja

Those we loved but lost are no longer where they were, but are always where we are.

In the gallery: Albatros 1840 - Constructo

Hi Jed,

Welcome to MSW.   Go with Anja's advice about the model.  The manufacturer... that's horse of a different color.  There's been a lot of discussion on intructions, etc. here:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/forum/24-wood-ship-model-kits/

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Welcome to MSW Jedd! I will echo the earlier comments about finding something that interests you. The great thing about the second build is that you now have a foundation of skills to work with. From there, it is just a matter of enlarging and multiplying what you know for a larger build. Mark gave a good link to the discussion on kits, manufacturers and instructions. In short, be prepared to figure a lot out for yourself no matter what you go with. That is why you are lucky to be here! More than likely, the ship you pick has been done before and has several build logs on here that you can look through to work out the difficult spots and of course, starting your own will get you any help you could need plus encouragement from us.

That also brings me to another piece of advice for picking out a ship. If you see one that you like, look it up on here. See if there is a log that matches both the kit and manufacturer. Chances are good there will be. Read through it or even send the builder a message and see if there was any major issues to be aware of. That may help you find the kit for you.

Good luck and I look forward to seeing what you choose!

"A Smooth Sea NEVER made a Skilled Sailor"
- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Current Builds - Royal Louis - Mamoli

Royal Caroline - Panart

Completed - Wood - Le Soleil Royal - Sergal - Build Log & Gallery

La Couronne - Corel - Build Log & Gallery

Rattlesnake - Model Shipways, HMS Bounty - Constructo

Plastic - USS Constitution - Revel (twice), Cutty Sark.

Unfinished - Plastic - HMS Victory - Heller, Sea Witch.

Member : Nautical Research Guild

Jed,

Welcome to MSW. You've been given some sound advice. Now it is up to you. If you get into trouble, just ring the bell in your build log

Have fun

Cheers

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

• 1 month later...