Robin Lous

eye bolt supply tip

Not sure whether or not it's something new, but perhaps people never thought of this...

You can use fishing hooks for eye bolts.

Countless sizes available...just cut off the hook and you have a perfect eye bolt.

They're also available in several finishes...steel, brass, bronze, black.

Robin :)

That's a bit of a problem when you don't have a local shop.

When there is one..a ruler or better... vernier caliper. The shop owner might think you're a bit odd, but that's fine. :D  

I just had to find my (long forgotten) tackle box in the garage and pick the fishing hooks matching the size I need.

Robin :)

I never thought of that myself. I usually just make my own, but when you are having to make hundreds of eye bolts, it becomes quite a bit like work. I had often wished of something quicker and easier since the only options for me to buy them pre-made is to order some from on line retail hobby stores that carry them, which are getting fewer and fewer. Walmart will be my next stop when needing eye bolts along with my caliper and load up on them. I wished you had posted this last week, I just finished making two hundred of them. That was about 3 hours I won't get back to spend on other things.

mike

Two hundred!?  :o

I only need 6 for my (first) build and after some failed attempts to make them myself, I asked my brain to come up with an easier solution. :D

The very small salmon egg hooks used for Trout fishing make beautiful eyebolts.  I make my own by twisting the appropriate size wire in a hole drilled in the top of an aluminum xacto handle.  Then insert a drill bit of the needed size eyebolt, tighten it up, twist the wire about 3/16 inch and cut it off.  This makes a very neat round eyebolt and the added advantage is the grip it will provide when it is mounted.  This twist almost serves as a threaded base to the eyebolt.  I think this was described somewhere else in one of the forums years ago.  

Grant - They are called 'eye pins' at Michael's. The ones I found were 2mm - I purchased some for my cannon tackle on my USS Constitution. I also found some 1.5mm eye pins on Ebay to use as well. Will have to look at the fishing section and check the hooks out. Good tips from both of you!