HIJMS Musashi by cog - plastic - Tamiya - 1:350 - old tool

Take a look at the Tamiya tweezers, if they're not too dear in the EU. I've used a pair of angled and a pair of straight tweezers for a number of years. They are black steel. Hold up a heck of a lot better than the "stainless" steel Pakistani ones. The steel is too soft with the stainless ones.

Nice work on the turrets, Carl. Is the amber liquid your "glue"? ;):) :)

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Hi Carl, just found this build. Hanging the hammock chair to a sky hook in back row.

Ken, that amber liquid is antifreeze!

Hello Jack,

Nice to see you swing a the back, must be relaxing ;)

That amber liquid is a solvent they told me in the store ... haven't found out what it solves yet, but the taste is alright ;) Maybe it works on this kit's parts to remove greasy finger stains I make ...

Cheers

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

I've heard of some Southern "bubbas" drinking turpentine, but...  Don't eat those potato chips/crisps while you work. Messes up the super glue.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Hmm, can barely read the etching on the glass "The Famous Grouse" <???>  - Hmm, must be a new Dutch solvent for washing off potato chips/crisps ;)

Yes, Carl, the swing is most relaxing :)

Carl,You are a glutton for punishment sir!! Since the room is filling up fast I will slide in by the corner here and do my best not to fiddle with the shiny bits! I see you have the proper tools for this job, tweezers and the attitude adjustment serum. Will be following wiht interest.

Sam

Current Build Constructo Enterprise

Sam,

It took you long enough to find the log ... been testing the serum ;) Good to have you aboard!! It seems you've lost some weight if you can squeeeeeeeeeeeeeze into that little corner!

Carl

I saw the part move......but did the glass?

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

I saw the part move......but did the glass?

Hmmm, did you see the part move the glass, or did you see the glass partly move ... Must be the bling bling distracting your eye ... ;)

Yesterday, and today some more fiddly bits on the turrets. I won't add the barrels, because I want to paint the turrets and barrels separately. That'll have to wait until it is somewhat warmer. The garage is to cold and humid for airbrushing at present. Tomorrow I'll add some new pictures

Cheers

Carl

As promised ...

post-33-0-30317900-1484155725_thumb.jpgpost-33-0-95129000-1484155720_thumb.jpgpost-33-0-92331100-1484155714_thumb.jpgpost-33-0-53197000-1484155694_thumb.jpgpost-33-0-95037900-1484155690_thumb.jpgpost-33-0-10024300-1484155687_thumb.jpg

Yesterday's harvest

Today I started on some other detail. Greg has done something likewise (tripple guns) It seems he is working on what I start with now. 25 single 25mm guns. At a scale of 1/350 the parts look a bit like this (get your magnifiers out)

post-33-0-65295800-1484155709_thumb.jpg

Wish me luck in keeping all parts on the table top ...

Edited by cog

Carl

How did I miss this?  Great work Carl.

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

My hands are in spasm, my eyes are cross sighted, and those half mm pieces won't stick to where I want them to stick ... Masochism is a weak expression to say what I'm going through!! You know ice speedway ... I feel like the ice

Carl

The turrets are looking good Carl.  Good luck with this microscopic parts!

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

"Its looking realy good exciting like a book - amazing what all that work took"    there you go I sang it while playing along on my keyboard ;):)

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Thanks Pat

Which keyboards was that OC ... the one from your build log ... ;)

Right this is one evening of work - at least part of the evening ...

post-33-0-28506300-1484176609_thumb.jpgpost-33-0-74235800-1484176615_thumb.jpgpost-33-0-98198400-1484176621_thumb.jpg

24 more to go, hope the next ones go a little faster ...

Carl

Hi Carl,

Wow...the turrets and 25mm gun look amazing, but I finally caught up with just how small these PE kit parts are!  

Are you using a magnifier or a microscope to put these together?  :D

Cheers,

Nigel.

Current Build Logs: H.M.S. Triton Cross SectionUSF Confederacy Model Shipways

Completed Log: Red Dragon Artesania Latina

Gallery: Red Dragon: Artesania Latina

Member:  Nautical Research Guild

Hello Nigel,

Last year August I bought these

post-33-0-53069400-1484178366_thumb.jpgpost-33-0-56997000-1484178386_thumb.jpgpost-33-0-37431100-1484178691_thumb.jpg

I've been working with the latter one on the turrets and the gun. It makes life a lot easier on the eyes. At least I do not get headaches!!

Cheers

Edited by cog

Carl

Thanks Carl...

I think it is time I invested in a similar magnifier...looks like it will work with the bifocal magnifiers I already have to wear so I don't bump into things.... :D

Cheers,

Nigel.

Current Build Logs: H.M.S. Triton Cross SectionUSF Confederacy Model Shipways

Completed Log: Red Dragon Artesania Latina

Gallery: Red Dragon: Artesania Latina

Member:  Nautical Research Guild

Seeing all these incredibly small assemblies reminds me of a joke my Dad once told me about the little boy whose father sent him to the pharmacy to buy some moth balls. Once he got there he could not exactly recall what it was his father sent him to buy, so he told the clerk he needed to buy some mosquito eyelashes. The clerk laughed at him and said, "now young man, you must know mosquitoes do not have eyelashes." Embarrassed, the boy went home empty handed, feeling rather betrayed and stupid.

When Dad saw him return, he asked, "did you bring home those moth balls?" The boy replied, "Dad, you know good and well moths don't have balls any more than mosquitoes have eyelashes." 

That's what we are working on here, moth balls and mosquito eyelashes.  :piratetongueor4:

Hoi Carl,

Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know- - - - I'm late.  Sorry about that, wont happen again ;)

Ambitious project you have taken on but fun to watch, so count me in.  Turrets look great but that 25 mm is kinda fuzzy :P

As an airplane guy I REALLY like that Fokker.  The only "more then one set of wings" airplane I have flown is a Waco UPF 7, a biplane.  That one I rebuild in my garage - - - a long time ago.

I'll sit next to Mark in the balcony and throw a bag of popcorn up so once in a while. And oh yeah, a glass of that amber stuff too.  Noooooo, don't throw it :o

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

I'll send someone up with it, Piet. Any other requests your highness? Good to see you back at the building sites. Sit back and relax, it's going to take time these fuzzy guns

I had a first piece that got away ... a triangular part 1 x 1.5 mm, can't find the bl**** thing anywhere ................. well, have to do without it .. the other three will do

Cheers

Carl

Hi Carl,

Been following from the beginning and home again so I can finally post using a real keypad.

Looking forward to following your log and your turrets look fantastic.  I am interested to know what glue you used to fit the large sheets of brass to the plastic turret tops.

Cheers

Slog 

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

HM Bark Endeavour (First Wood, On Hold)

Borodino (1:200 Card, Current Build)

Admiral Nakhimov (card 1/200)

Mazur D-350 Artillery Tractor (1:25 Card) 

F-8 Crusader (1:48 Aircraft, Plastic)

Slog,

I used insta-cure+ from Bob Smith Institute ( http://www.bsi-inc.com/hobby/hobby.html ) I've got both the insta-cure (blue bottle), and insta-cure+ (purple). The + is somewhat thicker which I found, worked better on those large sheets of brass ( enormous sheets ;) ) I might have a try at the IC-Gel or the maxi-cure for larger area's. I need to get them from England (ebay), as they are not available in the Netherlands. You might get it from ebay.com.au.

Cheers

Carl