HIJMS Musashi by cog - plastic - Tamiya - 1:350 - old tool

Probably something to do with our American friends trying to sink them. I can't imagine the courage of those young men who flew into its teeth. Glad it worked for you. May I suggest you tackle something else to rest your temper? I'm still trying to get consistent paint flow for my panel lines.

Just getting the hang of it, Greg. Or as we say: You need to forge the iron when it is hot ... maybe watch me fingers ... I might start some work on the super structure, or process some raw pictures I took last Sunday ... In the end I have to get back at the brass ...

What's the problem with the consistency of your shadows

Edited by cog

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Jack,

You mean: Swamp them with everything you've got. Thus the Japanese learned that trick from you! That is why they swamped the markets ... not so sure it was the right tactic ;)

Carl

I just don't seem to be able to drive Vajello paints with my airbrush, I'm in the middle of coaching a rowing camp at the moment so still practicing with the new airbrush and slowly getting the hang of it, spray, clean, repeat. Still fun learning a new skill.

Edited by Greg Lester

Greg

A rowing camp, not just a team!!! You are a very brave man

What type of Vallejo paint do you use? The model air, or the other one. Model Air is ready to use with airbrush, the other needs to be thinned down. Did you get the instruction DVD with it, or only the airbrush?

I had some tryouts and painted some small items with the H&S but due to the weather here, I can't continue. I have another airbrush much like the H&S which I've used more frequent, so I do feel confident enough. Though the H&S is far nicer to work with. I might need to change my compressor as it is hard to change the pressure a.o.

Carl

I may be late with the fire power thing.....but that's how the japs did it.    they'd pepper you with lead....and if that didn't work,  they'd throw the whole plane at you  :D  :D    Kamikaze style!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

AUCH ... I used the wrong size barrel!!! Pfffiew ... Could get them off in one piece, didn't even wreck a single gun ... some times lady luck smiles upon us poor brass benders ...

Off for some shut eye

Carl

Carl,

Coming late to the party as usual. Have you considered soldering the pieces back together? Since they are not structural I would imagine you dont need real silver older. I know they are small but a dab of plumbers solder might work.

As far as the number of guns, if I recall correctly you have the book Shattered Sword, by Parshall/Tully? Re-read the section on AA, you'll get an appreciation of just how hard it was to hit a moving object like a small plane. If you dont already own it I would heartily recommend it. A great read in my very humble opinion.

Sam

Current Build Constructo Enterprise

Sam,

The soldering ... I'd probably sooner burn the brass. The piece I need to solder is 1 x 4 mm (0.0039" x 0.0157") Use of stretch sprue and ca took me long enough, the tip of my soldering iron is wider than 1 mm, and a torch far to hot. But thanks for the suggestion!

Haven't come to the part on AA guns yet. Having seen ww2 fragments of AA guns on ships, I know it used to be sooner a lucky hit than anything else

Cheers

Edited by cog

Carl

I think you added an extra zero after the decimal point to each of those Carl. I'll blame it on the long time it took the packets to travel along the interwebs. They got stretch out.. or would they have been over compressed? :) Beside what a couple of thousands of an inch between friends?

You could call it micro-soldering - I'll watch for the mushroom cloud as your head goes all "'splody"from trying to solder those. I imagine clean up of the solder would be even more fiddly than the actual soldering would.

Carry on!

Sam

Thank you for your comments, and for the likes. Both much appreciated

Yesterday evening, I finished the single 25mm AA guns, and am halfway a twin 13mm AA gun. From the latter ... there are only two, after this, chimney or the admiral's apartments to change the way my eyes cross.

(The fly is for size ;) )

post-33-0-70039000-1485603045_thumb.jpgpost-33-0-57024400-1485603054_thumb.jpgpost-33-0-11868800-1485603085_thumb.jpg

When you look at the twin and both single AA guns those 13mm are quite small compared to the 25mm single barreled. didn't expect that

Nearly forgot, I received two sets of clear plastic planes for this build

post-33-0-46983700-1485603120_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Edited by cog

Carl

Great job, Carl.

Not too surprised all the AA firepower shot down that fly. Poor bloke never had a chance.  :)

Thanks Mr Bunny!

You know the risk you run, entering someone else's territory ... besides flying low ... easy target ;)

Edited by cog

Carl

Carl,

Well done, those are some tiny pieces of brass. I dont think there is enough booze in the world to get me to tackle something like that. For me that's a migraine just waiting to happen!

I never really investigated it before but looking at the AA armament I have to wonder at the IJN view of air defense. According to the WikiWebs Musashi had 12 6", 12 5" and 36 1" (25mm) barrels compared to the Iowa class BB with 40 5" 80 40mm (I think these may have been dual and quad mount, so the barrel count is higher) and 49 20mm guns (again I think these were multi barreled mounts) A huge difference in throw weight, especially at longer ranges.

You would think after Midway and the Soloman campaigns they would have learned. Apparently they still felt maneuverability was more effective?

Sam

Edited by src

As Musashi sank in 1944, it didn't get the additional AA guns Yamato had, she still had a lot. What I'm building now, are the AA-guns mounted on a pedestal. I'll walk you through the armament when she was just released from the building slip, and any alterations afterwards.

Primary armament:

nine 46 cm (18.1") guns

Secondary:

four 15.5 cm (6.1") tripple gun turrets. Two removed in 1939-1940 refit

twelve 12.7 cm (5) high angle guns twin mounted. In 1940 another six twin mounts were added

AA guns

8 tripple mounted 25 mm (0.984") : + 24 pcs

Sept 1943 4 additional tripple mounts: + 12 pcs

Jan - April 1944 additonal 12 enclosed tripple, and 26 single mounted: + 62 pcs

- Yamato had another refit in 1945 additonal 6 enclosed, and 15 not enclosed tripple mounts, 24 single removed: +39 pcs

two 13 mm double on super structure

So I'm more or less lucky. My build has a mere117 AA guns to build, whilst Greg's 1945 edition has 156 of those lovely brass miniatures to shape, bend and glue (I do so NOT envy him this task, but wish him a steady hand and patience) :)

Edited by cog

Carl

Thanks Greg, as I feel yours

Started on the funnel ... pontos has a brass ring which should go on top, but it is 2mm to wide. Fly Hawk's is different but seems to fitpost-33-0-79549100-1485635854_thumb.jpgpost-33-0-10041000-1485635865_thumb.jpg

Pontos on the right, Fly Hawk on the left

post-33-0-12977600-1485635875_thumb.jpg

Edited by cog

Carl

117 huns, phftt - you could do that in your sleep Carl :)  - glad it is you and not me.  Nice work on all that PE, seems you have quite a bit of dexterity left in them fingers but you probably have worn out the eyes ;)

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Pat,

Thanks for your vote of confidence!

What's an AA gun but a few pieces of brass, untill you lay your hands on one ... hands might be a rather crushing word for the size I'm working at ... The funny thing is, it's not the eyes which wear out (especially not with a visor), but the nimble finger tips which start to shiver and shake. It doesn't help much, the vibes, getting everything onto it's pre-defined pinpoint spot. I can do a few hours at the time, and that's not a lot of guns. Mind you, I've just finished the single (25)  and double (2 whole pieces!!!) variants. The tripple will be done at some future date. That one will be worse, i.e. bending brass-wise, and has some nice fragile parts to break:

post-33-0-37854900-1485773506.png

Edited by cog

Carl

Thanks for all the likes!

Sam,

You are right. Easy does it, as Sinatra sang. I'll keep my mouth shut though, the plastic might warp!

Mr Bunny,

Your goodness could have been kinder considering the nr of parts for the tripple barrel AA gun ;)

Carl

Some slight progress. I'm waiting on 2000 - 3000 grit sandpaper before I can finish the funnel. The brass is all from the Fly Hawk detail set. Pontos didn't have the rangefinder neither the flooring for this particular item.

post-33-0-22479900-1485816860_thumb.jpgpost-33-0-41345600-1485816872_thumb.jpgpost-33-0-11871200-1485816883_thumb.jpg

That's all for now,

cheers

Edited by cog

Carl

I could, if I knew what they looked like. So far I've found zilch on it, but for a mere mentioning in several texts. I have some brass sheet, and I might be able to make some from the remainder of the sheets from Fly Hawk, even black paper could be an option. I, however, would want to be certain about the way those are mounted, before I undertake the endeavour. I guess 3 lengthwise and 2 dividers, but guessing is the easy part ...

Edited by cog

Carl

That looks a really nice fit Carl; coming along very nicely

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Greg,

Thank you, that explains a lot. I'll be making those baffles myself, as those are not included in the old tool. The new tool has the entire Funnel, and the platform look heavier. Interesting change. Musashi is, but for the additional armament in 1945's refit, equal to Yamato. Although I red somewhere Musashi would be slightly longer ... maybe they wrote about the funnel ;)

Carl