IJN Musashi by cog - Tamiya - 1:350 - PLASTIC - old tool

I'm just as bad.........taking pictures on such a cluttered table.   the zoom on my 'el cheapo' is terrible....but I still try.  ;)     you did well Carl.......you've made some decent progress.   keep going........you doing a great job  :)

are you going to paint,  or leave the etch as it is?

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Impressive work, Carl.  Patience grasshopper... patience is the key. 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Denis,

Thanks, although I do like the brass as it is, some of it has discolourations, and as she will be painted, I'm no looking for additional complications by leaving the brass unpainted.

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Yes master

Haven't heard that name in a while, Mark. It does, however, describe it rather well :D :D :D I'l be grasshoppering along ;)

Cheers

Edited by cog

Carl

Carl, did I mention photography is my other, actually first, hobby, started that one in 8th grade. ;)  Model building came later

Edited by Jack12477

Who the heck is Brian, Sam? Am I getting old, I forgot my own name? :o

LOL!!! Sorry Carl! I turned 53 this month, that is my excuse.

What camera are you using? The newer DSRL have really come a long way in quality and affordability. I have 3 5dMkii from Canon that I use for stage photography. Properly exposed at ISO 1600 they are way cleaner than any ASA 400 film I ever used.

Sam

Current Build Constructo Enterprise

Sam,

That's no excuse, it's a fact of life. I know older people with a better memory!! Missing a bank in your memory slots;) Mine has deteriorated, probably a virus, or touched by liquid ;)

My current set contains a broken Nikon S3600 (let it drop on it's lens), a Canon 400D, and recently a 5d MkII (coincidence?) I'm still exploring with. My background is B&W photography, and manipulation of iso, e.g. shoot a 1600 ISO at 100 and adjust development time. I must say that DSRL's make the waiste of film history, but I find the B&W properties limited, I can't get what I want (I do not like to manipulate images with software). If I have to do that I feel like a desktop publisher. It seems, however, I have to make the step to get what I want. So be it (very reluctantly)

Cheers

Edited by cog

Carl

Nice going Carl and she has teeth now too I see.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Carl, did I mention photography is my other, actually first, hobby, started that one in 8th grade. ;)  Model building came later

Just poking my nose in to say -  Same here with photography but - it arrived at the same time as my first plastic kit which was a Airfix Red Arrow Gnat aircraft, and a Polaroid Instamatic camera, the rest is history ;)

Anyway sorry for railroding your thred Brian Sam (unusual name that) :P

Looking great by the way.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Thanks Piet, I got nearly bitten when I grabbed for one ;)

Never got a camera with a kit, plastic or wood, OC. I must be doing something wrong :huh: ...  I wonder what name I'll have next week ...

Carl

Components of the covered AA gun, and replacement parts

post-33-0-95679700-1487173526_thumb.jpg

Some careful treading on the funnel. Had a hard time getting those brass thready thingies on ...

Before with some more bling bling on the forward tower, and two additional gun directors (they had some gun directors and rangefinders installed on these ships!!)

post-33-0-00083500-1487173516_thumb.jpg

and after

post-33-0-54797300-1487173505_thumb.jpgpost-33-0-51388500-1487173495_thumb.jpgpost-33-0-84826300-1487173484_thumb.jpg

Carl

Nice work Carl; that bling is adding some nice detail.  Could always drape a thick chunky gold chain around it also ;):)

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Yes, treat her like an Admiral Pat. That'll be the day ... Might get into some trouble though ...  Considering the quantity of brass I put on her, it is a nice stash for someones gold stock ...

Carl

looks great Carl............the more you add,  the better she looks  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

And it all gets covered up with gray paint.  Almost seems a shame.  The old line-of-battle ships, at least all that gleams might have actually been gold.

Thanks for the likes and the comments. Greatly appreciated!

Joel,

Yes it is in a way a pitty, but it adds quite some additional fine detail to the build which wouldn't be possible with plastic or resin. When I look at the gratings ... I wouldn't know how on earth that could be accomplished in plastic (how I wish al the brass weight would be gold !!!)

Thanks for visiting!

Carl

The funnel has been "brassed over", some more work to do on the front tower/bridge, finished the rear tower, and the rear 15mm gun

post-33-0-93594600-1487453692_thumb.jpgpost-33-0-95918300-1487453701_thumb.jpgpost-33-0-78388600-1487453711_thumb.jpg

Rear 15mm turret

post-33-0-45171000-1487453683_thumb.jpg

Looks good, until I mounted the rear tower ... it seems I have to get rid of some railing, if I want that turret to be able to move around

post-33-0-40269100-1487453718_thumb.jpg

buggers

Still a lot of brass to add to rear turret. Next the front 15mm turret, and all the tripple AA guns ... I found that giving the plasstic a preliminairy coat of CA, and another when gluing the brass had the best result for me

Cheers

Carl

This is Seriously good work  - when its finished you have it displayed in the window of Harrods  with all that Gold. ;):) :) :)

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Nice work mate, that's a lot of bending and folding

Thanks, Greg. Luckily I've got some nimble tweezers! Got some wachmakers tweezers whith different tips that were quite convenient

Carl

Hi Carl,

Lovely work...these PE kits are just amazing and I hope the eyes are holding up!

One question is how do you get a good paint finish on without covering up all the etched details?  Is there a primer/paint combo you use that lets you get good coverage with very few thinned coats, even with an airbrush?

Cheers,

Nigel.

Current Build Logs: H.M.S. Triton Cross SectionUSF Confederacy Model Shipways

Completed Log: Red Dragon Artesania Latina

Gallery: Red Dragon: Artesania Latina

Member:  Nautical Research Guild

Thanks for all the likes and comments gents

Hello Nigel,

The eyes are holding out. I got a visor which helps against cross sightedness, and headaches so far ...

I'll be using airbrush primer and paint. Since you put on multiple thin layers, the detail should be preserved. You should take a look at the last work Greg Lester did on his Yamato here on the formum. Exquisite paint work.

Thanks for stopping by

Cheers

Carl

Found some blast bags for the 15mm turret guns in the Pontos update set. I changed the gun mounts for them, started on the mounts off the 46" guns rear most one finished, the other two to do. I must, however, raise the guns for the rear one of the two, else the barrels will get all tangled up in the railing. Yesterday I started at 22:00 and finished today at 03:00 on the trypod mast just behind the funnel.

_MG_8837.jpg

IMG_2625.jpg

IMG_2624.jpg

IMG_2626.jpg

IMG_2623.jpg

Carl