IJN Musashi by cog - Tamiya - 1:350 - PLASTIC - old tool

really??????  the anchor is molded on?   didn't you get some pretty P.E.  anchors?    I'm only kidding........but I do find that odd.  I'm sure you've had to scrape the decks and places to add the P.E. parts.

nice hull work though.......lots of tiny stuff   {make me cross-eyed}.   progress is progress.....no matter how small it is.   ya done good! ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

didn't you get some pretty P.E.  anchors

Nope, but I'm looking into that ... I'm already cross eyed so I can maybe uncross it with more PE :)  ... that might be a good idea!!! Thanks Denis ;) Don't start about the tiny stuff ... it seems endless ... the funny thing is, the smaller the item, the more I need to stick on the model :huh: ... thanks for the good word mate!

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Thank you Greg. What's in a mere 14,800 km (9,200 miles). I recall it is faster to cross a larger distance than a short one :huh:;) I'lll have a look at North Sta too. Hope you'll get your copy soon. It really is worth the wait

Carl

Yesterday evening late I finished the port side portholes. No pictures, as it's the same as the starboard side you've seen in previous posts. I'm now certified cross eyed!! I still have some more 2mm items to stick on the build, but first I need to finish the hull further so I can get my rattle can of primer from it's moth balls, and my airbrush. Something different from the grey plastic, and brass I've been working with, besides the more gray plastic, and brass. So a bit more patience I plead

Carl

hmmmmm cross eyed you say?!?!?    only remedy I know of is to go out and get kicked by a mule ;)    that........and keep your eyes further than 2" away from your work :D   take your time .....you'll get there ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Darn, no mules around here Denis. I'll try that 2" limit, but it will be close nevertheless ;) Thanks for the good word ... Hope not to forget the words from the wise :)

Carl

Greg,

I don't need to wait, I've done the single and double AA guns. The ones that I fear most are the tripple AA's such a lot of tiny jumpy parts. Fortunately I'm merey building Musashi, not Yamato which has quite a few AA guns more :) Any news on the new AOTS?

Currently working on the deck with the aircraft hanger. Those brass transport rails are a pain to stick to the brass deck ... even with CA ... patience grasshopper, I keep on reminding meself :default_wallbash: ... torture - whomever said plastic models are easy :angry:

Carl

Plastic is easy... it's the PE that's hard, Carl.   You're doing great with it. 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

What an amazing job you have done. Just been looking through your whole log to date and it's very impressive. I have the Bismarck at 1:200 scale card. And lots of this PE to go on it too. But that's awhile off yet. I think I will just keep watching your build for awhile. Keep up the good work.

Regards, Scott

Current build: 1:75 Friesland, Mamoli

Completed builds:

1:64 Rattlesnake, Mamoli  -  1:64 HMS Bounty, Mamoli  -  1:54 Adventure, Amati  -  1:80 King of the Mississippi, AL

1:64 Blue Shadow, Mamoli  -  1:64 Leida Dutch pleasure boat, Corel  -  1:60 HMS President Mantra, Sergal

Awaiting construction:

1:89 Hermione La Fayette AL  -  1:48 Perserverance, Modelers shipyard

3 hours ago, mtaylor said:

Plastic is easy... it's the PE that's hard, Carl.   You're doing great with it. 

I used to hate PE at school;):P

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

1 hour ago, Old Collingwood said:

I used to hate PE at school;):P

OC.

:D:D:D 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Scott, thanks for the good word ... such posts really motivate to go on ... although I keep nagging about PE, it is a challenge to get it right ... just be in the right mindset, and get a visor ... saves your eyes, and prevents your brain (which I fortunately lack) turn to mush.

Carl

PE ... now let me think ... that's the class where you got all sweaty and got that superior mail smell about you ;) ... loved it ... frustrating from time to time ... maybe that's why I bought two detail update sets ... a gluton for punishment ... or as my aikido teacher said: No pain, no gain! The gain is still way of, but the screwing pain I've had in my eyes, and head are promising a lot of the previous ... Now I wonder since the visor I use alleviates the pain, what will happen to the gain ...

Thanks lads, could do with a break ;) this build asks for some serious personal endurance :D:D:D

Carl

we pick our own challenges.....model manufacturers have come so far,  in offering us these options.  one could simply throw it together and be done with it,  but for those who want more out of the experience,  chose to take a more detailed approach.   I wish I knew if this was available to me,  when I was a young pup,  putting all those plane and car models together.  take short breaks in between,  to give your eyes a rest.   

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

The breaks are a nice part of the building. It let's you ponder on your progress and what to do next. It is so easy to forget something, as you need to switch between the base build (plastic building instructions) and the PE one. It is so easy to overlook a part from a certain item. Besides that, these model ship kits consist of so many sub builds ... it's good to take a step back, and look what you are doing before gluing it all together.

You can still do these kits Denis. Alternate between wood and plastic or do both, as you would probably ... correction, would most certainly do.

Carl

I've done a carrier before.......but not the scale you and Greg are attempting.   I have a couple plastic ship kits in the stash.....but I'm still trying to bring down the unfinished roster.   I don't think I'm doing too good.  I can at least flounder in my own turmoil,  and live vicariously though your and Greg's.   perhaps the next millennium,  I may sink my teeth into one of these models ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Awesome work Carl.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

• 1 month later...

No, I didn't stop, just had a serious back problem, a software release which didn't release yet, and heaps of other excuses.

I've been working - on and off - on the hull, did some PE here, and some PE there. Got a third hand from MM (it's eye candy!!!) dropped something on the funnel which the funnel didn't like so I had the first repairs ... probably more to come ... anyways lads (any lasses?) without further a do some more eye food

Michael Mott's hand (he is currently working with a single one I presume ...?)

IMG_2667.thumb.jpg.4dfb4dff74d71c564414a1cad7b2f1f6.jpg

A side ladder (pilot's ladder?), and davits. These look so much better than the plastic junk from the kit

IMG_2690.thumb.jpg.b3b74c53c6fb4cdbc1f294584baa9794.jpgIMG_2702.thumb.jpg.7f891613bdeae5a50d228409b12d2f42.jpg

IMG_2701.thumb.jpg.ea8c8e896a56d11f1403f20ef044cddb.jpg

and for a change I picked p sme PE, and started on the first catapult, parts and initial fases

IMG_2694.thumb.jpg.71e99a0bfe64f5a40f5ef020126ee691.jpgIMG_2695.thumb.jpg.52a0167f315820cef6f754595fe01cda.jpgIMG_2696.thumb.jpg.a5ecf17ec8323de2c69a89bd5ca019cc.jpg

Still a lot more work to do. As I wrote on Greg's topic, it seems that the old tool has far less, or not such good detail on the plastic, as the new tool. Have quite a number of sheets left!!!

Cheers

Carl

Nice progress COG, that PE must have been testing :)

Like the third hand - looks vaguely familiar ;) 

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

glad to see the back problem is getting better....best of all....glad to see you back!   good your making progress.   :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Pat

Thought you might recognise it ... yours is pink, right ;)

Hey Dennis,

The physio does her best, but what can you do to an old back ... It's slow, but there is movement ... not as fast as yours ...

Had a redodelidumdum. Ripped off the brass davits, forgot the piece in which they turn ... a little strip of metal with two holes one at the top, and the other ... at the bottom :sigh: ... made the scutter pipes for the "boat deck", more something like a corridor, and still busy on the first catapult .... just a few more fiddly bits, you know  0.5 x 2 mm ... I'm getting the hang of this PE. When I've finished I call myself apprentice ;) Don't knoiw how the other blokes seem to manage with the stuff ... magicians, all of them!!! Anyone who says it's just plastic is so wrong ... the hardest building I've ever done ... rather replace the fuel pomp on a lefthand drive BLMC Mini Cooper. Pictures will foloow ... (not from the Mini ;) )

Carl

hey howya goin Carl mate, coming along great mate cant wait to see the finished model.   :bird-vi:

I'm probably not going to live long enough to build all these but I'm BLOODY going to try HAHAHA.

Future Builds: The Schooner Bluenose, scale 1:48, POF Scratch Build (Gene Bodnar practicum - Plans from modelshipbuilder.com)

HMS Victory, scale 1:64 or 1:48, POF Scratch Build (John McKay's plans)

Current Builds: 42ft Longboat Armed for War 1834, scale 1:36 POF Scratch Build (Plans from A.N.C.R.E.) 

Galley Washington 1776, scale 1:48, POF Scratch Build (NRG's Plans)

Ragusian Carrack, scale 1:59, POB kit (MarisStella)

King of the Mississippi, scale 1:80, POB Kit (Artesania Latina)

HMS Snake 1797, 18 Gun Sloop of War, scale 1:64, POB Kit (Jotika/CalderCraft)

Current Build: Stage Coach 1848, scale 1:10, Kit (Artesania Latina) Shhh don't tell the Admins I'm building this I'll hide it here ^under this line^ so they don't see it HAHAHA.

17 hours ago, src said:

Carl, you not supposed to WEAR your PE. I suppose if you really have to its your build, but it would look so much better on Musashi not COGashi.:):)

Glad to hear the back is feeling better, been there, not fun at all.

Sam

Sam,

What is that glittering stuff people wear ... COGashi ... has a nice Japanese ring to it, maybe I should rebaptise my build :huh: leave all the sparkling stuff unpainted ... Thanks for the thumbs up mate, have a piece of my apple pie ...

Slow cooked apple pie

Carl