Poochie

Lobster Smack and The Skiff

Howdy people. Name is Mike and I've built plastic models back in the day (I'm 61) and a huge wooden dollhouse that took forever, but I've never built a wooden ship from a kit. I'm retired so I have time to play. 

I just won two kits on Ebay from the same dude. $45 shipped for the Midwest Lobster Smack and Midwest The Skiff Wooden Row Boat. Both kits are mint condition with the parts still sealed. The seller has perfect feedback too. Anyway, I'm sure I won't get them for at least a week. That'll give me time to learn more tricks from you experts. 

For these two kits, I plan to put them together pretty much stock but apply a nice clear finish to them. If I complete them before I'm 100, I'll go for more involved kits. But I think these are good to test the waters. I'll be ringing your bell for free advice I'm sure.  

helmsman, mtaylor, kvnrykvn and 2 others like this

Welcome! I can tell you from experience that A) those are good beginner kit choices, B) they won't take you 39 years to complete, and C) you may want to rethink the clear varnish plan, at least for the smack. Both of those kits are mostly basswood. The smack also has two balsa filler blocks at the bow that will stand out like sore thumbs without some wood filler and a coat of paint. Be sure to search through the build logs here, as we have had numerous examples of both those kits completed by members, and some of them have done superb jobs adding extra details to the basic kits. It's not hard to do, if you have a mind to try it yourself.

Regards,

kvnrykvn, mtaylor and EJ_L like this

Welcome to MSW Mike! You have yourself a couple of good kits to get you started with model ships. Best of luck to you and I hope you have a good time building! Looking forward to seeing your work!

mtaylor likes this

Hi Mike

:sign:

Welcome Mike,

As being very new myself I can assure you from experience that there is always support and advice at the end of your key board.

Cheers,

Medic :D

mtaylor likes this

Welcome aboard Mike,

This is a great place to learn and share tips and techniques.

When you're ready, feel free to start a buildlog.

If needed, you'll find plenty of advise, help and encouragement from everyone.

Good luck with your builds and have fun.

I wish you mooth sailing and happy modelling.

Regards,

Anja

mtaylor likes this

Thanks for the warm welcome. I'm excited about this new hobby and can't wait for the kits to arrive. I have some woodworking skills but I know this is a whole new world I'm getting into. I have a hobby room to work in and I'm determined to complete these kits no matter what. It helps that this site and the members are such a great source of knowledge and experience that I can rely on.  I'll start a build log as soon as the kits arrive. Thanks again. 

By the way, I'm in Lafayette Louisiana.

mtaylor likes this