HMS Surprise by Rossi46 - FINISHED - Artesania Latina - Scale 1:48 - First Wooden Ship Build

Nice work!

Doug

Doug

Current BuildsBluenose II - AKrabbenkutter / Prince de Neufchatel / Essex Cross-section / Syren / Barque Stefano / Winchelsea / Half Hull / Maria HF31 - Dusek / Bandirma - Turkmodel

On the Shelf: Santisima Trinidad and Cross Section / HMS Cutter Alert / Tender AVOS / Confederacy

Suspended Build: Bluenose II - Billing Boats Nr 600 

G'day Rossi, very, very nice build, and your first as well, she looks fabulous, I like he candle touch, look forward to the rest of the build,

best regards John.

PS my friend gave me one of those flickering LEDs to go in the furnace of my steam launch, but I hav'nt got round to setting it up yet, if it comes out as good as yours I will be well pleased.

Hey neptune. Much appreciated, i will be refencing your build log extensively, especially for masts, rigging and sails. Very informative and quite intimidating lol. The flickering effect is great in person, and multiple lights in series all flicker independently.

Quick question, is there a build log on the royal william, it dwarfs the

Edited by Rossi46

Really great work Rossi - you sure this is your first build?  You look like a seasoned pro!

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

You certainly have accomplished lots in two months. Nice work

trying to balance time between a home improvement project and the boat, but managed to get some more of the detailing done and starting on the top deck cannons.  I chose to use a loop and hook to connect the blocks to the inside of the boat, looks nice and I was having a heck of a time twisting the little metal loops around the block.  Also, I came upon my first situation with missing parts.  The brass posts for the railing were missing 4, so i repositioned what I did have and evenly spaced them.  No problem.

post-26658-0-51768900-1484656857.jpg

post-26658-0-03019500-1484656858.jpg

post-26658-0-52696700-1484656858.jpg

post-26658-0-93527900-1484656858.jpg

post-26658-0-46433000-1484656859.jpg

post-26658-0-98942700-1484656859.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys,

Have some more progress and pics to share (have to shrink them so they'll upload to site).  I starting the masts as I'm working through some of the other tasks and I can't figure out those instructions for the life of me.  IT shows an exploded view of the bottom part of the mast but not really how they all come together to form the mast as a whole.  I can't even tell what stops the mid and upper mast from falling right through to the ship deck lol.  Any resources or pics you guys could share to get me on track??