HMS Surprise by Rossi46 - FINISHED - Artesania Latina - Scale 1:48 - First Wooden Ship Build

Im really excited to see a mast all done up with the ratlines so im completing just the main mast before going back to a complete other small tasks.  The ratlines are going smoothly but it is a pretty slow process.  I use a piece of paper with 7mm spacing to set the first knot in each row, then eyeball the rest.

tmp_13563-20170315_160043-1328x747234729494.jpg

tmp_13563-20170315_215349-747x13281336944548.jpg

I fell behind on your build, Wow, have you got lots done. Very nice work

4 hours ago, maaaslo said:

Nice job.

one question: did you wax the lines prior to installing them on the ship?

I didnt wax them no.  I found it not too bad without the wax to be honest, and i glue the knots to secure them and didnt want to affect that.  In some spots there was a little white glue residue which i will touch up with black acrylic paint which worked great on a test area.  Im sure some prefer to do ratlines without glue, but i find it very helpful at keeping lines clean and even. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I just discovered this build, and it's lovely. I can't wait to follow it through to completion.  Your sails are quite nice.

This is the best "First Build" I've ever seen. You have a great talent for model ship building.

49 minutes ago, Sailor1234567890 said:

A quick question, are these AL Surprise kits designed with the larger main mast described in the Aubrey Maturin books or as the ship really was built? Beautiful build. I love the display stand so far. Going to look sharp. :D

No idea.  I have read many of the books, but only to get a sense of life on the boats etc... Not from a technical viewpoint.  The foremast and main mast both use the same diameter dowel, but the main mast is taller with longer spars.  Im loving this build so far and basically followed my own whims when it comes to historical vs fictional accuracy.

9 minutes ago, HIPEXEC said:

This is the best "First Build" I've ever seen. You have a great talent for model ship building.

Thanks, thats very kind of you.  This build is definately exceeding my expectations but the truth is, i try to take advantage of every resource on this forum, measure twice and cut once and dry fit things before gluing.  Those approaches have really served me well.  I also knew early on which side would be displayed.  So i do the hidden side first in case i discover a better or easier way of doing something, and apply it to my "display" side lol. 

Coincidentally, I've been reading up on the real Surprise and the fictional one. My impression is that all the model kits are based on the real one; no one seems to make a model of the Surprise as described by O'Brian and as rigged by Aubrey.

As I understand it, the difference doesn't relate to whether the mainmast is taller than either the fore or mizzen masts; that's generally true regardless. The point is that, in the books, Aubrey added an even longer mainmast, meaning that collectively the entire mainmast assembly towered over the fore and mizzen, instead of being just a bit taller. To my eye, images of the AL kit look like the normal mast/rigging, not Aubrey's altered version.