HMS Surprise by Rossi46 - FINISHED - Artesania Latina - Scale 1:48 - First Wooden Ship Build

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I realized ive been a bit of slacker updating the log and have to take some more pics of its current state.  Here are some pics from a couple weeks ago when just the foremast was complete.  I have since completed the main mast and most od mizzen mast and will add thise pics tonight.  The display case is mostly done also, including the LED lighting.  Some lessons learned there regarding adhesive.

20170528_115627-1328x747.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Installed last sail🍻  now im getting the bowlines done and itll be down to some of the finishing touches ie. Cannon covers, anchors and a few other goodies.  Its been a treat working on the model, and having completed the rigging for the most part, a pattern emerges and its far less intimidating than when i started.  I actually quite enjoy the rigging, other than ratlines lol.

20170723_152926-747x1328.jpg

20170723_152917-1328x747.jpg

20170723_162129-747x1328.jpg

In her new home.  I built the case and renovated the room to fit this beast.  This has been a very satisfying journey and i would like to thank my dad "blighty" for introducing me to this great hobby.  Im hooked

I know the Surprise was a big leap for a first build, but with the resources available, and equal parts patience, luck and determination, it wasnt so bad.  Having done a fully rigged build, i am much more knowledgeable and understanding of how the early steps influence the later ones. 

Next on the table are the Real by Dusek, and the Wright flyer by Model airways.  Thanks for joining me on the journey folks.

20170729_093917.jpg

Fantastic build, congratulations

What a lovely achievement! The work is very crisp and manages to look both accurate and artistic. Thank you for sharing it with us.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 2/13/2019 at 1:57 PM, Allison said:

Awesome job Rossi46! The HMS Surprise is going to be my first build also and this build log is not only a major help but an even bigger inspiration.

Thats awesome allison, go big or go home right🍻.  If i can be of any assistance just message me.  Good luck!