Chaperon by Blighty - FINISHED - Model Shipways - Weathered and aged - My first build log

That's the general idea, well done!

Current build : Gorch Fock Occre

Completed non-boat build 1/16 Model expo Sopwith Camel - in shore leave.

Previous boat builds:

Amerigo Vespucci Occre

Yacht Mary

Artesania Latina Red Dragon (Modified)

Non-boat build 1/24 scale Dennis bus by OcCre - in shore leave.

Mare Nostrum (modified)  Amati Oseberg (modified)  Chaperon sternwheel steamer 1884   Constructo Lady Smith kit/scratch build   

OcCre Santisima Trinidad Cross Section 

Constructo Robert E Lee Paddle Steamer  Constructo Louise, steam powered river boat   OcCre Bounty with cutaway hull 

Corel Scotland Baltic Ketch (not on MSW) OcCre Spirit of Mississippi paddle steamer (not on MSW)

In the Gallery:
 Mare Nostrum   Oesberg  Constructo Lady Smith   Constructo Robert E Lee   Constructo Louise   OcCre Bounty   OcCre Spirit of Mississippi

Crikey Mike, are you suggesting I fill the outhouse with BATTERY HENS?

FYI, most Americans won't get that joke. Here, they call that confinement or feedlot; battery is primarily a European term. I didn't realize it was used in Canada, but it shouldn't surprise me. Great pun, anyway.

3 hours ago, Cathead said:

FYI, most Americans won't get that joke. Here, they call that confinement or feedlot; battery is primarily a European term. I didn't realize it was used in Canada, but it shouldn't surprise me. Great pun, anyway.

Haha, I don't think Americans know what blighty means either!!!! I'm a Brit too, I was 30 years old when we moved to Canada.

3 minutes ago, Blighty said:

Haha, I don't think Americans know what blighty means either!!!! I'm a Brit too, I was 30 years old when we moved to Canada.

You're right !  We don't ! ;)

Very nice. I have never used yellow to get the effect you have.I'll have to try a sample on my current build. 

Flying Fish --  MSW

Essex ---  MSW

Constitution  --  MSW

Confederacy -- MSW

Philadelphia -- MSW 

Chaperon -- MSW

San Felipe -- Panart

Portland -- Bluejacket

48 minutes ago, chborgm said:

Very nice. I have never used yellow to get the effect you have.I'll have to try a sample on my current build. 

I recall you use your ship lights for night lamps, I don't think you would find the yellow bright enough to contribute much. However, for a working scaled ship illumination I think I was very lucky in selection of color, size and quantity of LEDs, if you don't need the night light usage I would recommend the yellow.

The Chaperon lit up, a glass of Scotch, a dark room and some banjo/fiddle players beating out some bluegrass on the MP3 backed up by the night chorus of crickets and June bugs and you would find yourself on the banks of the Green River enjoying a one man party before you knew it.

Thx for following and your valued input.

Blighty

Excellent ! Now seriously, are you going to keep the chicken coop as well or use your little masterpiece instead ?

Previous boat builds:

Amerigo Vespucci Occre

Yacht Mary

Mare Nostrum (modified)  Amati Oseberg (modified)  Chaperon sternwheel steamer 1884   Constructo Lady Smith kit/scratch build   

Constructo Robert E Lee Paddle Steamer  Constructo Louise, steam powered river boat   OcCre Bounty with cutaway hull 

Corel Scotland Baltic Ketch (not on MSW) OcCre Spirit of Mississippi paddle steamer (not on MSW)

In the Gallery:
 Mare Nostrum   Oesberg  Constructo Lady Smith   Constructo Robert E Lee   Constructo Louise   OcCre Bounty   OcCre Spirit of Mississippi

I needed a method of securing and locating the outhouse so I added a couple of urns each side , the rear urn on each side protrudes below the surface of the deck into tight fitting holes, locates well and secures well, will likely ware as I eat through batteries but I'll worry about that when it happens.

58bb553371efb_IMG_34271.JPG.64566b84dd9d165604b17333eaaac14e.JPG58bb56578424b_IMG_34311.JPG.455dbf640216ff2b6ce21de60964bd9c.JPG

IMG_3429[1].JPG

Nothing much to show right now, I'm just wrapping up the Texas deck, less rigging and nothing is painted yet.

I did glue together the gangplank, the rough joins are deliberate by the wy, honest they are!!!! but the thing of interest is the vinegar wash finish.

The solution is about a month old now and the wire wool has just about completely dissolved. I applied a medium wash to the plank and it took about 3 days to fully age and darken up.

I know some of you guys will be very familiar with this process but the first time I looked into it was after watching a couple of Youtube vids of it. There were lots of different recipes, I'm very pleased with the results so far and the older the mix the better it performs.

The gang plank will have a thin coat of paint on it and lots of exposed aging showing through when I'm done.58bd60d08cc70_IMG_34341.JPG.415951dc94989bb4553e4880b2696042.JPG 

Next stage of the gangplank, home mixed red oxide on the top, I'll rub this down to expose more natural wood, I think that will make it more realistic.

Below I have very limited reference  so I assumed algea, grass stains and natural aging would be fairly severe so put plenty of weathering on, I will tone the underside down with a black wash later.

Base coat is white everywhere except the actual walkway top surface, but next stage after it is dry will be a rub down with a well used 100 sandpaper.

IMG_3435[1].JPG

IMG_3436[1].JPG

8 minutes ago, Rossi46 said:

Love it.  Who would have thought it would turn out just like the old workhorse you were striving for.

Thx Em, I have some lights left over, I can't get wires to the red and green on the stacks, also got 2 yellows, 1 is 3mm the other 1,8mm.

I'll drop them round over weekend.

Looking amazing, very impressive paint work and I love the lights.

Derek

If you want to build a ship, don't drum up the men to gather wood, divide the work and give orders. Instead, teach them to yearn for the vast and endless sea  

Antoine de Saint Exupery

Current Builds

Bluenose - Model Shipways - 1:64 Scale

Fair American - Model Shipways - 1:48 Scale

HMS Winchelsea 1764 - Group Build

On Deck

Guns of History Naval Smoothbore Deck Gun - 1:24 Scale

Finished Builds

Mare Nostrum - Artesania Latina - 1:35 Scale

Guns of History Carronade - Model Shipways - 1:24 Scale

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Oh very useful, what nice kids you must have allowing you to steal their things!! I'll bet you pay for it in the end! What were you doing rummaging in their toy box anyway ?

Previous boat builds:

Amerigo Vespucci Occre

Yacht Mary

In the Gallery:

2 minutes ago, Mike Dowling said:

Oh very useful, what nice kids you must have allowing you to steal their things!! I'll bet you pay for it in the end! What were you doing rummaging in their toy box anyway ?

Hi Mike, It's a community toy box we keep at our house for when we have visitors, but you are right it'll cost me a candy or 2 I'm sure.

Len, "borrowing" stuff from your Grandkids? Tsk, tsk. But they do look good and the bell looks OK

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

9 minutes ago, Canute said:

Len, "borrowing" stuff from your Grandkids? Tsk, tsk. But they do look good and the bell looks OK

Ken, You and Mike have got me on a guilt trip, but they're still not getting the sacks back, mine now!....

btw, I agree about the ok for the bell, it could be a lot better! :)