Plank bending without soaking

As a new builder I didn't realize that I was using the bending heat tool incorrectly all along. This video demonstrates a method that really works very well. I wet the plank briefly and start bending and it is amazing how easily the plank forms to whatever shape you need.

Of course i learned this when I was 3/4 done. Aghhh!  :angry:

Hopefully this may help others new to building.

• 2 months later...

What is that amazing tool? It seems to be an attachment for a soldering iron? If so what is it called and where can I get one?

Thanks Martin. That looks fantastic. I'll have to get one when I can fit it in the budget. Tired of burning my fingers with the heat gun. Fortunately for my current build it's only the wales that need bending and I'm nearly finished. (The planks are only about 0.5mm thick, as it's a very lightly built craft).

Steven

• 2 years later...

I’m not sure what shipping costs you but model Shipways has the same bender for much less.  Also thank you for the video I would never have thought to use it like that!E60ED27B-B2DE-4F35-B68D-8BFC8A21B789.thumb.png.9d9dcc84f66853bb3eda1af8d2e68355.png

Edited by Duanelaker

I had the tool but was using it incorrectly for years. ☹️

I would hold the plank and press down on it with the tool. It would eventually bend, but took a while.

When i found the video I tried it and was amazed at how it performed. 

Glad it helped others too.

The problem with these kind of tools is that different wood species require different temperatures to bend them. Too little heat - no result. Too much, and you get scorching. A thermostatically controlled iron where you can regulate temperature is required. These are more expensive (of course!) and mainly used by conservators of paintings.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Plank-bending inserts for soldering irons have been on the market for 50+ years for a few quid. Essentially, they are rod with a disc or something egg-shaped in cross-section at the end. You can even make one yourself, dito the wooden die for shaping. Get yourself a heat-controlled soldering station with exchangeable tips for the same amount of money and you can use it for soldering too ;)

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg

You can make very easily and cheaply a suitable heat control gadget for your electric plank bender to avoid burning the wood. Use an ordinary household dimmer (non digital one) and a double wall socket and wire them together and mount in an electrical box. All materials available in home centers like the Home Depot, Lowes or such...

Edited by Dziadeczek