JosephHuntley

HMS Fly Specs Needed

39 posts in this topic

ok I figured out what other drawings I needed and I actually already had them. I have 600 drawings from the greenwich museum

Which are never released except with the purchaser signing that they will not distribute them and are for private use only.

Please don't post links which freely spread material which should not be spread.   Those plans are stored and looked after by paid staff who are paid because people 'pay' for copies of the plans for their own personal use or as an agreement with the museum,.

I have removed the link.

Canute, Mark P, ccoyle and 2 others like this

ok sorry figured they would be public domain as are the smithsonian drawings as they are naval drawings thus the property of the public. even new aircraft carriers are public domain even if you pay the museums or shipyards for copies. i dealt with this a lot woth aircraft and other things I got from smithsonian so didnt think there was anything wrong sorry about that. but any military drawings are considered public domain even if you need to pay for copies as the public are the ones that pay for the vessels in taxes etc thus they already own them

If you have permission from the plans owners then you can publish full plans. The NMM would not grant this without you paying a lot of money.

Reasoning from one country is also not always applicable to a different country.

druxey, mtaylor, Mark P and 1 other like this

ok sorry figured they would be public domain as are the smithsonian drawings as they are naval drawings thus the property of the public. even new aircraft carriers are public domain even if you pay the museums or shipyards for copies. i dealt with this a lot woth aircraft and other things I got from smithsonian so didnt think there was anything wrong sorry about that. but any military drawings are considered public domain even if you need to pay for copies as the public are the ones that pay for the vessels in taxes etc thus they already own them

Careful. Just because something is in the Smithsonian does not necessarily mean it is in the Public Domain. You need to verify that with the Smithsonian or Library of Congess (United States) before hand. I would recommend a reading of this overview on Public Domain

mtaylor and Canute like this

I deal with them all the time. any plans of any US Military Vehicle etc is the property of the taxpayers of the United States. they may charge for copying them etc but anything military is considered the property of us taxpayers thats  why so much stuff is freely available on govt sites if you dig deep enough.

like the aircorps library is a private site for restoration of aircraft and they put all the microfilm they get a hold of for ppl to view and download. the reason they can do it is it is documents of military aircraft thus not covered by copyrights.

mtaylor likes this

It depends on the scale you like to build your model. If you build it 1/48 or smaller an A4 sheet is enough. As you like to build her in a bigger scale -for example 1/32, as I do- you need an A3 sheet

Canute, mtaylor and JosephHuntley like this

deal with them all the time. any plans of any US Military Vehicle etc is the property of the taxpayers of the United States

You do realise the HMS Fly is not a US Military Vehicle?

Regardless as to different museums, (for all I know when you say 'Greenwich' you don't mean the NMM but 'Greenwich, Alaska')  we follow copyright laws here and the site does have rules. So do not share links to plan sets and do not post them whole unless you have permission ( fair use provisions do of course apply).

Thank you.

allanyed, mtaylor, Canute and 4 others like this