dkuehn

How many model ships working on at the same time?

I have 5 models currently under construction at different levels of completion. I had 3 going from years ago (Chuck's Syren, Fly and Vanguard) and had two not yet started kits. (Snake and Agamemnon) To get myself started again I decided to start on the Snake. Well, then I decided I needed to start the Agamemnon to take advantage of the relearning that I was getting from the Snake. Now it's 5 going, I do kind of enjoy bouncing between the kits. 

My question is, are there other's that have several kits going at the same time?

It seems like a bit of "condition" that several of us share.  Once the box arrives I assure myself that I'll wait 'til other builds are complete.  but ...

Five at the moment, in order of progress are Krabbenkutter, Bluenose II, Prince de Neufchatel, Essex Cross section, Syren.  One more box arrived 2 weeks ago but I won't start that until a couple of other builds are done (well maybe).  Also, like popeye, I have an extra hull (in my case another Syren) that could be a separate build.

The only way I can maintain progress on one is to operate a self imposed ban, forbidding any work on another until the former is complete. I do however allow myself one concession. That being I can research and decide on the next model before completing the former. I think this is either called self discipline or simply weird.

I have also limited myself to just one build at a time and no progress on said model for a while. I would possibly do some "small" modeling as an aside which may be a model car or loco or a miniature figure, but not another ship.

Cheers Richard

If one loosely interprets the phrase "working on" to include any unfinished model, then I have five.  I was going to say three, but then I remembered I actually have two more -- that's how long it's been since I have worked on them. :rolleyes:

On 1/12/2017 at 5:52 PM, dkuehn said:

I have 5 models currently under construction at different levels of completion. I had 3 going from years ago (Chuck's Syren, Fly and Vanguard) and had two not yet started kits. (Snake and Agamemnon) To get myself started again I decided to start on the Snake. Well, then I decided I needed to start the Agamemnon to take advantage of the relearning that I was getting from the Snake. Now it's 5 going, I do kind of enjoy bouncing between the kits. 

My question is, are there other's that have several kits going at the same time?

Well, I no longer have any uncompleted kits, I didn't finish them, my house burned down in the Northern California wild fires. All of my boats: started, finished and still in box are gone. 

We have excellent insurance and are comfortable financially. So now I'll have to pick up a new kit and start working again. I'll have to wait until we get into our rental house (living in hotels right now). I had the Byrnes table saw and sander, the insurance will get those back to me. Just a matter of time. 

OH WOW, sorry to hear about the loss, even with excellent insurance, you and yours still lost stuff.  Best wishes in rebuilding.  

For me, I have two ships on the bench, another two started but stored, plus a model fire truck and a wooden steam locomotive for the grandkids, plus plans and rough lumber for another 2 ships, a fancy wooden Stanley Steamer for the Admiral - started, using purple heard, plus a list of items I want to build, such as two stationary steam engines, another 3 ships, more wooden toys for the grandkids, and a 3/4 inch scale American locomotive.  I also need to acquire the skill of carving in the round so I can add carvings to the ships, such as Wasa (only 7 hundred carving on her).  I probably won't live long enough for that.......but that's a target.

Keep building and above all, have fun!!               Duff

So sorry to hear that 'D' - that's extremely frustrating that you've lost all that work, not to mention your home, but glad to hear that you're OK between the finances and the insurance.  I've been keeping in touch with my brother who lives in semi-rural Nipomo near Santa Rosa - he had cleared all the brush off his land just in case, but the fires didn't get there...best wishes....Steve M