Lady Nelson by vossiewulf - Amati/Victory Models - 1:64

Colour scheme works for me - you do have a choice with the white in that a search of the NMM collection shows that many of the contemporary cutters are painted up to the lower wale rather than stopping at the waterline. As you can see I took mine up to the wale but the choice is up to you as there seems to be no fixed standard here. There is a positive here in that if you're going to paint then we won't be able to see where you fit the stealer as two or three coats of paint well rubbed back should hide the individual planks, so its position is immaterial in this instance (except that you'll know and it could bug you if you're anything like me). ;)

Feeling any better? See you've been a bit active today.

Rick

If nothing big enough for lithotripsy I should be ok from here, starting to catch up on sleep after getting very little through much of last week. CT scan would tell with near 100% accuracy but I no longer do them as they're like 100+ normal xrays and I've already had plenty. Work was thoughtful enough to page me, but thankfully it was a transient event and we can do the forensics Monday.

Although I wasn't aware of exactly why, I had noticed you had brought yours up to the main wales. I assumed you had documentation showing that was a valid choice, but also clearly waterline makes sense, of the two I think waterline will work better with what I am doing. And yes, although we can go with the paint hides all sins method, as I'm doing elsewhere on the model I'd prefer good color that still shows there is wood beneath with at least some visibility of the planking. Don't worry, it will be fine doing it the correct way with the garboard and the first couple next to it running straight and that makes sense from a keel strength standpoint, but I think my method is better from an aesthetic standpoint :)

Going to disagree with you on the aesthetics - having a slight case of OCD according to my family, I'd have placed it about half way up the planking :D. However if I remember my build it actually pretty well set itself as the planking started to separate when laid along its natural fall. 

If the planking turns out clean, which I think it will be in your case, I would like to see it left unpainted. Just my thoughts. Wish you well health wise. 

Steve 

7 hours ago, Rick01 said:

Going to disagree with you on the aesthetics - having a slight case of OCD according to my family, I'd have placed it about half way up the planking :D.

And being an educated professional debater, I will respond by sticking my tongue out and going PHTHTTTHTHTTHTTT :) But the reality is of course aesthetics are in the eye of the beholder. There is a woman on my street who has one of those teensy Fiat 500s that already looks like a toy painted in a color I could only describe as 1960s insane asylum interior green, it's this horrible grayish green that makes the muses of beauty all burst into tears simultaneously. But she always seems happy driving her awful tiny ugly car, so there ya go.

Steve, I am still considering that also. I'd prefer to work it up that way, doing black on all the lower planks but that will make painting the white a real headache if I decide to go with the white. So I'm still thinking about it.

Let's decide after she's planked;-) Forgive me- I haven't read all the previous posts thoroughly, but the waterline would be lower, correct? Just curious. If you do paint it, I think it would look better with the white starting lower. Not to debate anyone here. I really want to see it left unpainted though. 

Steve

That's the waterline on the plans.

And now I have a new problem, I was on my desktop when the very expensive 1100w power supply suicided, boom computer goes down and we get a nice electrical burning smell. My only hope is that it didn't take the also very expensive motherboard with liquid cooling and the dual video cards and the 32gb DDR5 and the SSDs with it.

Ouch!!

I assume you've a secondary system to use 'til your power plant is replaced?

Not a fan of the black hull in your second sketch but we should all hang on until you've got the hull completed to the point of painting (or not). 

Yeah I have a laptop but it's not a powerhouse. Not a big deal WRT this project but feels like an arm missing when I don't have access to my full development environment. Overall I like white more at the moment but again no reason to decide now.

Yeouchhh...  I'll keep my fingers crossed for you that Murphy decided the power supply was enough mischief.  Any post-mortem on the PS as to cause?   I went through that with the laser cutter a couple months ago... tube, power supply, controller.... <sigh> 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Haven't even gotten it out of the machine yet, was too disgusted to deal with it this evening. Getting the PSU out that always goes in first is never fun.

This is the innards, I have always built my own machines. PSU is behind the drive bays top left, water cooler radiator to the left of the CPU. It's i7/5930 overclocked from 3.7 to 4.2Ghz and the video cards at Nvidia GTX 970s.

20141211_054741.thumb.jpg.dfc3d6e68d4c98c25397d7b5a9b93411.jpg

No leaks from the cooling system, I hope.  It just seems surprising that the PS would blow up like that.  That is a well-packed case, I must admit.  

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

And my laptop that I have been using daily for YouTube TV in my work area that I had gotten hooked up to my desktop monitor and keyboard just started failing, the fan isn't coming on so it shuts itself down with overheating two minutes after you start it. I am sitting here repeatedly counting to 10 to prevent myself from taking a hammer to both of them.

Ah percussive maintenance of computers.  I know it well.  You have my deepest sympathies on these headaches.. err.. computers.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Tried a new power supply, looks like everything is fried. Good thing I paid for top of the line PSU and motherboard that are supposed to be thoroughly protected from this kind of thing. Will have to disassemble it and have a shop test to see if anything still works.

Meanwhile I guess I am going to order a new laptop as well, it's four years old, will just yank out the HD to save a few files. Going to be an expensive week and rebuilding the desktop is about 1/10 getting new hardware and putting it together and 90% and a couple of weeks of reinstalling and configuring the CC suite and MAX and several code IDEs and about 20 other applications.

I hope you got lucky and the hard drive(s) are ok...  I'm keeping an image of mine as well as backups of the data, just in case.  What's the old saying in IT... "not if, but when"...? 

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Everything important is either on Google drive or my CloudForge repository, I learned a long time ago to keep data in one place and applications in another and backup the crap out of said data, with cloud being the best option these days. And it makes rebuilds much easier, they just require app installation while your data drive gets dropped into the new build.

And these days google drive is nice. I take ship photos with phone, save to Google drive from the phone and by the time I walk across the house to the computer room my (RIP) desktop has already synced and I can open them in Photoshop for cropping.

I ordered a new laptop about 30 minutes ago and this being San Francisco it will be delivered before 10PM. About 50% of what Amazon carries is available here from Amazon Prime Now, which offers two hour delivery for a single $5 tip for the driver. I even got them to deliver a new mouse to my hotel room in Seattle last year when I was visiting my team in Bellevue. So I'll have a machine I can install some basic things on this evening, and I can't complain about that part at all.

Back up on the laptop at least, and installing the basics. I'll take my desktop parts to a shop this weekend, not going to be able to do it during the day this week. And then depending on the answers I'll have some level of shopping to do, and earliest I could start the rebuild is probably the following weekend. So I should be able to get back into the ship workshop and make some progress.

That's assuming, of course, that like my leg doesn't arbitrarily fall off while I'm cooking an omelet or something. I intend to remain fully in a combat stance for the time being, other shoes keep dropping and I'm not sure it's over. That's going to be my new phrase for this kind of thing, it's been raining shoes :)

BTW, I'm thinking of making this something other than Lady Nelson. I need to go look on Threedecks.org for a cutter of the right time period and size.

There's a company called PPD Limited in Scotland that will do one-off custom photoetch for about $50 delivered to me, and the sheet is large enough that I could do the artwork and get the brass for a number of ship names that would fit the kit part. I would then be open to sending the unused ones to people building. I had them make me 1/12th scale Spandau cooling jackets a couple years ago, was very easy, I made the artwork, emailed it to them, had brass in my hands in a couple weeks, I think I fit like 12 on the smallest sheet they do. Barrel is just a rod, front piece was cast resin.

58c8eca488a2f_Spandaudbarrle.thumb.jpg.80ca33b3c7554da787859796db59c5ff.jpg

And if folks here don't know about this company, they should. If you don't have Photoshop skills, not too hard to learn what's needed for this, it's actually pretty simple. Or talk/bribe someone like me into doing something, it doesn't take me terribly long unless you want to do something to simulate super-complex carving. I think I did the artwork for the cooling jackets in about an hour.

1 hour ago, vossiewulf said:

Oh man, now you just know it's going to be the left

Hey - at least you know what to plan for now!!

Re ship names - I can't quote the discussion but I've a niggle in the back of my mind that a couple of the guys who really get into the research mentioned that it wasn't usual for the smaller ships such as cutters to carry a name on the stern. Maybe someone else can comment on this.

gee.......I have a Guillow's 1:14 scale Dr 1 I'm building.  I didn't like the plastic machine guns,  so I made a pair out of scrap wood.  I made the blanks so far.......scribe in the added detail later.

sorry to hear of your present set back with your computer.   hope your feeling better ;) 

I bookmarked that site.....thanks :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Rick, that sounds correct, it wouldn't surprise me at all if stern names were reserved for 6th rates and up. But this might be one case where I intentionally deviate from reality, as a display object for the average viewer having the name on the counter seems right. But I haven't decided for certain.

Sailor, that's actually an interesting idea, I'll keep that in mind :)

Popeye, pretty sure I have some extra cooling jackets, they'd be a tad big though, and thanks for the well wishes. I actually pinged PPD and told them they should advertise here, really surprised they don't already, this forum is chock full of likely customers.