hello to all you ship builders.

I have a quire regarding the rabbet that has me scared to touch although I honestly wish to use to do it properly. I am looking into doing a double planked hull. I had built the bluenose- billings before..sorry no log, but I didn't use a rabbet and my hull looked square at the bow...yuk!

doing a double planked hull:-

1...should the rabbet be twice as wide to accommodate both layers or-

2... only the one but for the inner planking or outer -

3...if twice, how do you attach the first layer but leaving enough for the second.

If anyone could help me with this problem it will be most helpful to me as I have looked at many logs on MS

W but to no avail.   :( :(   please help

kier

Saving for: HMS Vanguard...Victory models.

finished: Bluenose11...Billing Boats... (sorry no log.

Hi Kier, the rabbet is not a scary beast :)  Simply, it should be the depth to accommodate both layers.  However, this does not mean twice as deep as usually the first layer is much thicker than the second layer.  This second layer is usually just a veneer and very thin.  

So just make it as deep as the two combined.  lay the first layer and there should be a very thin fall about the thickness of the veneer. 

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Here is some further thoughts from another corner. My answer would be the following with a bit of clarification. When you say  "wide" I assume you mean the height from false keel or bulkhead former to the keel. If that is your question then I would submit the following:

At the widest hull station the planks almost enter the keel rabbet in a perpendicular manner. So at that point the height of the rabbet should be a comfortable but not tight fit and as Pat says, whether one or two plank layers. When you get to the stern the planks are likely to approach the rabbet at a much sharper angle and the plank edge is technically fatter because of that angle. It also tends to rise higher in the rabbet.  Certainly not to a great degree but nonetheless a bit fatter and at a higher approach.I tend to make the rabbet just a tad loose at midships (not sloppy), live with that along the keel, and coax it in at the stern. Sometimes if it is double planked you can hold the sub layer back a tad from the rabbet and slide the thinner top plank in, in an interference manner. Hope this helps. Experimentation is not a bad idea!