Sultana by Overworked724 (Patrick) – FINISHED - Model Shipways – Scale 1:64 – Solid Hull – First Wooden Model Ship

Hi folks.

Since work will take a bit of a front seat at this time...I will take a short 4 week sabbatical from the Sultana as I am caught in some excessive project activity which also requires some travel. 

Nice thing is that now I am in the position to work ‘off the ship’ a bit as I prepare the spars/masts/gaffs/booms/etc. So will reconnect with my log again soon. 

My goal is to finish by no later than end of April of this year — which I think is very achievable. 

Happy Modeling to all!!!:cheers:

Edited by Overworked724

----------------------------------------------------

“Work like a Captain....Play like a Pirate!” — Every Ship Modeler...everywhere.

No reason to believe you will not do an outstanding job just as you have done so far. I just thought it went without saying.

Now get to work and show us more or I will be forced to send a horde of Rigging spiders to your house! :stunned:

Lou

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Ok. The Admiral is in transit to Tokyo. I am on my own for the next week and my ship was calling me. :rolleyes:

Progress. Made my first yard. Tapered by elbow grease, sandpaper, sweat, sheer guts, and my drill. Yes, I finally just stuck the dowel in the chuck, and simply squeezed 120gr, 240gr, and 400gr around the barrel of the yard as I spun the wood in the drill until desired taper achieved.  Easy. Carved the ends using a #11 and shaved off bit by bit. One yard took about 10 minutes. Don’t know what I was so fricken afraid of!!!!

Mounted the hull on the wooden balls and board I prepared. Had to see if my preparations were even worth a fig. But...TaaaaDAAA!!  The flat keel sitting on the wooden balls, mounted on the stained board...was curvy and smooth and makes you wonder if the ship will fall over!!!  The effect I wanted!  Really happy with the choice of mounting on balls. Neat effect. Cannot see the screws at all, and the hull is trim and level with the keel.

Heart attack moving the ship to the mounting board. Ugh!!!

Moving on. More yards to make before I go to Japan next week. 

E2958C31-AC9A-4606-AE17-D923E3A5AC83.jpeg.b0611b19fd1da5d42551f5b2883ea1af.jpeg

68BBC216-E67B-4DAB-88C0-484E0FCD6F5C.jpeg

8148B222-2EA2-4264-90AA-5110EFAB45D9.jpeg

485C442B-E579-4FBC-A0E8-8B5EDC0312CA.jpeg

C81D4C0D-BC2B-4FAA-BB8C-A5E75237C95B.jpeg

Edited by Overworked724

Are you adult enough to be left all alone for a full week?:D What's in Tokyo?

When my Admiral leaves for her almost three weeks next week she is only going as far as California! She doesn't trust me enough to go any further away, (Even though she would probably like to, further away that is.) 

Lou 

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Lou!  You and I have the same Admiral I swear. Distance is relative nowadays. She doesn’t trust me much, especially in her kitchen!!!!

She is Japanese. So we have quite a bit of family there. But she is traveling for family, I’m traveling for work. We’ll meet up in Tokyo. 

And to your our first question...no. I’m not adult enough to be left alone.  But my childish cuteness seems to keep her coming back. :piratetongueor4:  

Ah Family!

Yes we probably do have the same Admiral. Mine trusts me about as far as she can throw me! She is leaving to visit kids and grand kids as well except I won't be meeting her there. I get to stay home and finish the bathroom rebuild and be chief cook and bottle washer  for the two grand kids we are raising, (15 going on 30 and 10 going on 3).I have been doing this pretty much five or six times a year, (The kids not the bathroom) for years and she still calls me up and makes "suggestions." She has no problems with me in the kitchen unless we are in there together! She keeps reminding me about how tired she is of cooking!

Now you have me worried! I have no childish cuteness! She may not come back and I will be stuck with these two Velociraptors all alone! :o

Good luck on your trip and vacation, and I still think your work on the Sultana is turning out perfectly.

Lou  

Edited by lmagna

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Made another yard. :dancetl6:Slow but steady progress. 

But HEY!!  Here is another pic of my Ship with BALLS!!!  :pirate41:

(Yeah, I said it. The Admiral didn’t laugh either.). 

86EC0DA0-A5EE-4BA8-BD9E-1508094257E1.jpeg

1 minute ago, thibaultron said:

Looks really good mounted!!

RIGHT!!!???  

Ok. It is my first mounted ship and it is not even rigged yet. But DAMN!  I cannot stop looking at that pic. :piratetongueor4:

Plenty of reason to be proud. She is a very handsome ship and there is plenty to be proud of, balls and all.

Lou

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Nice work! It does look like you could tip it with a feather......

-Elijah

Current build(s):

Continental Gunboat Philadelphia by Model Shipways

https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/15753-continental-gunboat-philadelphia-by-elijah-model-shipways-124-scale/

Completed build(s):

Model Shipways Phantom

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?showtopic=12376

Member of:

The Nautical Research Guild

N.R.M.S.S. (Nautical Research and Model Ship Society)

Those Britannia cleats do seem oversized. Decided to order some cleats (3mm) from Syren (cheap).  Laser cut cleats from wood seem like a better option when I consider trying to  jam seven of them around the main and foremast. We shall see. 

Also completed sanding out the yards. 

Moving on....

CD38ACA2-1048-4D91-AB7E-95C8D3965535.jpeg

3B60B9F8-AD6F-45D9-B92B-F89C810A019B.jpeg

Edited by Overworked724

Made a few attempts at scratch building the wooden cleats...I think I could probably manage to make some decent ones given some additional time in improving my technique.  But I still have a limited skill set, and those bloody things are tiny...so decided to opt on the side of the leisure enjoyment of my build.  Will simply stay with the laser cut cleats for the remainder of the build and ignore (with extreme prejudice) the cast metal cleats.  This way I can ensure they are reproducible as well as save myself some aggravation in toiling with parts that are so small. 

So - another deviation from Chuck's fantastic practicum.  Got some wooden 3mm and 5mm cleat (laser cut), as well as some 5mm shroud cleats (laser cut) - which was an afterthought and, frankly, a good idea.  They were cheap and came in a pack of like 40-50...so they should last me a good long while and can be used for other builds. 

Moving on...and I do not feel like I cheated...but made a necessary modification to a severely dated kit.  :rolleyes:

• 2 months later...

And once again. I would like to say...tales of my demise have been greatly exaggerated. But my Shipyard has become a bit dusty of late...as my work has again gotten in the way. 

My my wife has subsequently sent me to my ‘room’ to get me out of her hair. 😆

• 1 month later...

Sorry folks. No pics but case is made. Will add later. Starting to work on masts and get her ready for rigging. Got a bit flummoxed on the base. The case and base (cherry wood) look beautiful. Now considering whether to mount her without an additional support base or right on the cherry wood. Sigh. Decisions decisions. 

OK...will post some pics tonight...back to sanding and doing the mast 'caps'...tried using one of the supplied wooden jobbies and the little thing snapped like a twig.  I am doomed to be making everything from scratch! 

• 2 weeks later...

Cherry wood base for plexiglass case. Looks pretty good. Had to stain (natural). Was fun getting the mounting board aligned. But a good result. Now working on the little bits of stepping the masts and bowsprit. What a HUGE difference a simple natural stain makes. 

9B2EE4EA-00A5-4B21-8750-8883B3408F54.jpeg

DC73B81A-0911-4202-BD37-7D4F9A32F7B2.jpeg

3CEC4107-45A8-40F4-AB19-ABEF8B75728B.jpeg

It looks like your little Sultana is going to hold the place of honor, right where she belongs.

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Gun stocks. Not sure if I’ll paint. Used a 1mm x 3mm piece as a template to score my stocks, then drilled the holes and put in the tree nails. Natural stain. Will cut to fit later but numbered them to keep port and starboard straight. 

Moving on!!!! 😁

15CC0594-F12B-4D45-9EEE-D9F626F3A26A.jpeg

84647AD5-8C62-4B5F-921C-C6DF7D13452A.jpeg

9174050A-6820-48D1-98F3-EA03F5C1D5F3.jpeg

A13C1018-A0FF-479F-B939-4029951756C6.jpeg

BF64C00E-9104-49FF-A1C1-C2C60E95AED0.jpeg

E69A75FF-F883-4A38-8FD2-AB76A745B828.jpeg

Ok. Gun stock bases made. Got top masts and fore and main masts made. Need some sanding. Pics to follow but good progress. 

Decided I will prep the guns/mounts and add to the ship LAST!  I don’t understand (other than to ogle your own hard work) why you put them on until the last...even after the flags!?  I have never rigged a ship before, so the fewer obstructions and hazards the better. 

Moving on...but slowly. Recovering from some difficult oral surgery. 

Masts aren’t perfect, but they are passable. Getting the right lean in the caps (?) to match the rake was impossible so I eyeballed it...not lying. 

Bowsprit and jib-boom required Some thought. I decided to do something different. Rather than shave down the front of the bowsprit, I decided to connect a suitable end of a toothpick to the end of the bowsprit. Fits perfectly in the cap (? Nautical terms are beyond me right now) and allows me to line it up without any thinking. I can sand front of cap flat later before painting. 

The chuck between the boom and sprit required some sanding with round/beveled needle files. 

Not bad!  It’s progress. Moving on.   :dancetl6:

960FA9EF-C578-4D38-B5F6-42BDC0B17106.jpeg

FDE1AF15-DD5B-47C6-B411-341AAF63F9A7.jpeg

6C4512E0-3E9F-47B2-BFE4-BA9176343D9F.jpeg

A8CD6504-7939-412C-B231-1DC2FF811632.jpeg

98B10917-87B3-4529-815A-D94ED1337902.jpeg

9BCA5509-3B2D-48BB-8E6F-AF1E40EE54C1.jpeg

Decided to attack the boys bibbs. 1mm basswood stock and a #11. Magic stuff. Xeroxed the plans, and made a stencil. Made sure caps were right size. (Close but not perfect....but pretty close. 😊)

Decided to prep 6 but I only need 4. Will take the best matching 2 sets and paint later. During cutting I wrecked one...make that 5!  

If you look at my caps, you might have noticed that I needed to make a cap for each mast and the bowsprit. Used cherry wood (2.3mm). Matches the 2 mast caps I could salvage from the kit. Hey...works!!!  But since my caps differ from Chuck’s practicum, will mount bibbs differently than he did. 

Moving on...

D205C84D-2B8D-4680-B965-7349235F7201.jpeg

BABF97B1-C434-4A83-B4BF-22BD4F0361CD.jpeg

B9F0239A-6B3A-4329-BCAD-FBE4DB1E21C3.jpeg

Edited by Overworked724

• 2 weeks later...

Ok. Bowsprit Day. The jib-boom saddle and mast cap finally at the correct angle. Lines up nicely. Glued my freshly made cherry wood cap to the bowsprit and have decided it’s just too damned cute to paint black like the jib-boom. Drilled in the holes for the eye-bolts. Glue them on later when I’m ready to set the bowsprit in place. 

Not a bad days work. I like it when things line up. 

:pirate41:

More pics later. After paint and stain have dried. 

9F5FE483-1F39-4C86-B5D9-357E55F038A5.jpeg

E062CAC6-AD80-4625-847D-411DC0A3A9F9.jpeg

ABB11216-B3E0-48CC-83A0-28184DF08E9A.jpeg

976852E0-7380-411B-8B0F-3049605D3645.jpeg

Here it is painted. Looks pretty decent. Will rig her up later. Busy week ahead.

- Plan to finish the bowsprit and masts and step them all together.

- Will fit out and finish the gun stocks, and paint the guns

- Prep the boom and fore/main gaffs

- Make the anchors

Then it’s all rigging. Getting close to the part I have been dreading!!!

:dancetl6:

E891948D-5B0C-4F15-8042-37E2BD2FCCBC.jpeg

Edited by Overworked724