Confused newbie

Racer2000

Don't buy any tools you don't need up front, just get what you need when you need it.  Then take the entire cost of the kit and the basic starting materials (under $100 will get you going for a few months easily) plus the cost of the kit, and divide it into the 12-36 months it will take you to build it, and the cost over time is extremely low.

Don't make up front costs alone make you miss this experience, as plastic builds tend to be much faster, so the cost of the kits over time will often add up to much more than the costs of wood.

Many guys here build masterpieces using only very basic hand tools.  It's not necessary to spend a fortune to get into this, or even to continue doing it!

Welcome Bruce - 1st off, you picked a good website to join. The people in here are very helpful in giving tips and information, as well as building some amazing ships! As for question about wood or plastic, I had the same exact questions. Having really no experience in modeling, I went with plastic as my 1st build. One, it was free! - second, it would allow me to get a handle on some basics such as cutting, puttying, sanding (lots), painting and doing research on my kit and making a few subtle changes.

I'm now working on my 4th plastic ship ( Revell's 1:96 scale USS Constitution) and I've moved up to fabricating some parts, lighting for ship, and using after market blocks, eye pins, upgrade of lines, adding a wood deck etc. I now feel I have the confidence and basic skills to attempt a wooden ship without 'destroying' my investment. This is only my opinion and what worked for me. I picked up an old Scientific wooden kit of the Bluenose sailboat (it's really basic) and it is much different from using plastic, both the directions and fitting parts. 

Whichever way you go, I wish you the best on your project(s) and hope you will share your works with all of us! Cheers!

Robert O

Bruce,

Before buying any tools... go here in the article database:   http://modelshipworldforum.com/ship-model-materials-and-tools.php

There's several articles on tools including one about tools to not buy.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)