Painting help and advice needed for Bluenose

Good Day

I am busy building the Bluenose by Amati. I'm new to ship modelling and are gettting all the tools ect as the need arises. So, here is the thing; Im looking ahead at the painting on the bluenose and all the accents. Now I know the hull to be black, white and red, however, Im not sure on what type (Acrylic or Enamel), what shades of the colors to use and should I use Matt or Gloss? 

Does the wood need to be primed before it can be painted?

If anyone has built this model before (as many has) could you please advise on what paints was used ect. I want this model to look as close to the original as possible.

Thanking everybody in advance for their help and advice.

Hi Jack:

Use acrylic paint and yes, I would prime first and sand to remove any imperfections. Stick with a medium gloss or even high gloss as the finish will really pop out. You probably see a numbers of builds on this site. What is the name on you kit. Plank or solid. Pat Skiff Lake NB

Capt. Jack - I used Testors Model Master acrylics in painting Bluenose.  Four colors - Insignia Red, Blue Angels Yellow, Flat Black, and Flat White.  I did prime and sand the surfaces before applying final coats.

I recommend flat paints as they tend to scale better.  Gloss paints will pop, but to my eye they look a bit unrealistic.

Bob

Current build -- MS Bluenose

Future build - MS Flying Fish

"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for." - William G. T. Shedd

Capt. Jack,

Have a look at p.135 of Gene Bodnar's monograph on building 'Bluenose' (http://modelshipbuilder.com/e107_images/custom/msbimages/eisnor/bn-1-4/Bluenose%20Practicum%20Standard.pdf ).  It reproduces a letter from the original builders listing all the colours used.

John

John

Past Builds:
Diorama, Washington & Philadelphia - 1776.  1:144 scale scratch build

Sir Edward Hawke - Schooner, 1776.  1:72 scale scratch build from H Hahn plans

Matthew - 1497.  1:25 scale scratch build from Colin Mudie plans

Mediterranean Cog - 1343.  1:40 scale scratch build from Xavier Pastor plans

Nonsuch - 1650.  1:32 scale Aeropiccola kit

Caustic - gunboat, 1776 . 1:36 scale scratch build

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

• 4 months later...
On 1/20/2017 at 4:23 AM, bhermann said:

Capt. Jack - I used Testors Model Master acrylics in painting Bluenose.  Four colors - Insignia Red, Blue Angels Yellow, Flat Black, and Flat White.  I did prime and sand the surfaces before applying final coats.

I recommend flat paints as they tend to scale better.  Gloss paints will pop, but to my eye they look a bit unrealistic.

Bob

What primer did you use for the Model Masters?

5 hours ago, bhermann said:

Model Masters makes a primer in white... that's what I used.

Bob

Im not actually having much luck finding acrylic MM primer for sale anywhere...  seems like a rather rare item!

Maybe so - I did my painting a few years ago and haven't gone looking for any since then.  Who knows what happened to Model Masters since then.  I'll keep my bottles sealed as tight as I can - I'd hate to have to match colors at this stage of the build!

Bob

Current build -- MS Bluenose

Future build - MS Flying Fish

"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for." - William G. T. Shedd

Model Masters is still around. Our local Hobby Town has the line. You may have to go to an online retailer, but here are several you can start with.

https://www.megahobby.com/categories/paint-store/model-master.html

http://store.spruebrothers.com/category_s/1982.htm

http://www.rollmodels.net/search/newsrch.php

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

• 1 year later...
On 1/20/2017 at 10:53 PM, bhermann said:

Bob

I realise it's probably of little use now, but someone might like my advice. I agree with Bob ,sailing vessels of older vintage like Bluenose etc would have always been painted in flat paints ( although even so called flat paint will sometimes have a 5-10% sheen) I just think like Bob flat paints give a more realistic look.

• 1 month later...

I concur with others, the only time I gave used gloss paint on any model is either a model car or to represent glass. Otherwise, to me, a gloss model looks toy like. I prefer to brush paint with enamels or oils, much longer drying time. If you wait until a flat enamel has fully cured, a light rubbing with a lint free cloth will give a nice "sheen".

Completed Build --- Virginia 1819 - Artesania Latina

Other Models      --- German Armor plus others    Mastermind

Current Build --- Liveship Vivacia