US Brig Syren by Hipexec - FINISHED - Model Shipways - 1:64 - building as USS Argus

The USS Syren will be my 4th attempt to match the high quality of the models many of you create here on this great website.. I am actually  going to build a model of the USS Argus, but since nobody makes this kit, I will make some modifications to the USS Syren to create the USS Argus.

The model kit is supposed to be in the mail. I bought it from Model Expo.

I've ordered my Syren too.  See you in the shipyard!

Doug

Doug

Current BuildsBluenose II - AKrabbenkutter / Prince de Neufchatel / Essex Cross-section / Syren / Barque Stefano / Winchelsea / Half Hull / Maria HF31 - Dusek / Bandirma - Turkmodel

On the Shelf: Santisima Trinidad and Cross Section / HMS Cutter Alert / Tender AVOS / Confederacy

Suspended Build: Bluenose II - Billing Boats Nr 600 

For you history buffs, the USS Argus was instrumental in winning a major battle in the Barbary Wars in the early  1800's under President Jefferson. Marine Lt. Presley O'Bannon was the Marine commander aboard the USS Argus and was the hero of the Battle of Derna that gave birth to the first line in the Marine Corps Hymn..."to the shores of Tripoli". O'Bannon was awarded the Mameluke sword by the restored prince of Derna, Tripoli and the Mameluke sword was adapted by the USMC for all officers to wear during formal ceremonies to this day.

The Argus gave artillery support during the battle and helped turn the tide of battle. These Barbary Wars were the equivalent of fighting ISIS today.

post-4214-0-62929800-1484857160.jpg

post-4214-0-72557600-1484857255_thumb.png

post-4214-0-55915600-1484857290_thumb.jpg

Edited by Hipexec

Hi Rich,

When you edit your profile you will find a place to edit your signature.

So,

1) Choose My Profile  from your username on the left side of the 2nd Blue Bar at the top of any MSW window (where signet, notification ... are

2) That'll open a new window with a summary of your profile.  On the upper right is a button for Edit my Profile. Press it.

3) In the new window on the left side are a bunch of profile sections.  5th one down in Signature.  Press it and you're there!

Doug

Doug

Current BuildsBluenose II - AKrabbenkutter / Prince de Neufchatel / Essex Cross-section / Syren / Barque Stefano / Winchelsea / Half Hull / Maria HF31 - Dusek / Bandirma - Turkmodel

On the Shelf: Santisima Trinidad and Cross Section / HMS Cutter Alert / Tender AVOS / Confederacy

Suspended Build: Bluenose II - Billing Boats Nr 600 

Rich, first go to the top of this build thread, right click on entry #1 and select "copy link location", the go to your profile and edit it as you did to create the signature. highlight the entry "USS Syren" etc in your signature, then click on the link symbol in the full editor window (center block, 2nd line to right of B I U S symbols - 3rd box over) when the window opens, select it and right click again, select Paste, the close windows. You can also at the same time select the Bold symbol to highlight it in bold face type.

Hope this helps/.

Well this is much harder than actually building the model? I can't seem to get any of that to work?

Come on Rich you can do it...
Mark

Mark
Phoenix, AZ

Current builds;

Previous builds, in rough order of execution;
Shipjack, Peterbrough Canoe, Flying Fish, Half Moon, Britannia racing sloop, Whale boat, Bluenose, Picket boat, Viking longboat, Atlantic, Fair American, Mary Taylor, half hull Enterprise, Hacchoro, HMS Fly, Khufu Solar Boat.

On the shelf; Royal Barge, Jefferson Davis.

You think so? 

I can't get "copy link location"  to appear? I copy the link but it does not paste.  This can't be this hard!

Rich, place the cursor directly over the #1 in your first post, then right mouse click on it without moving it. A popup window should appear with a list of actions, select the one labeled "copy link location" and left mouse click on it. That will place the link into your clipboard. Then proceed as above.

Hmm. something is wrong - I can get the pop-up every time on any post in your log.  You got any tech savvy friends close by who can come look at your PC.  I assume you're doing this from a PC or laptop and not a Tablet or Ipad. Correct ? I'm working from a Windows laptop.

You don't need to right-click on it Rich, just click on the #1 and a new window will pop open with the link in it.  Highlight the entire thing, copy it (hit "Control+C") and then follow the other instructions for adding the copied link to your signature.

Edited by GuntherMT

If you're using IE11, Rich, get Chrome or Firefox.   Known bug about copy/paste in IE11 and MS isn't going to fix it.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Planning ahead.....what were the various paint schemes on US Navy sailing ships? I've seen red, green and plain wood gunwales. I've also seen varying colors for gun carriages. Anybody know?

There is nothing as forlorn as an empty shipyard waiting for Fedex to deliver my next model.

post-4214-0-90924000-1485057236_thumb.jpg

Hi! Regarding bulwark colors the answer is it varied. The british preferred red and syren likely has red in alot of models due to her being a captured ship. The states used green but I imagine also red and in time white. Basically whatever was cheap and available. For more info on colors id recommend a copy of nrg's ship model shop notes II.

Edited by CharlieZardoz

Build on hold: HM Sultana 1/64th scale

Current Build: 31 ton Doughty revenue cutter as USRC Active 1/64th scale (in progress)

Future Interests: Ballahoo, Diligence, Halifax and beyond...

Thanks Charlie. A fellow New Yorker!! We moved from Manhattan to Astoria, then East Elmhurst then Floral Park before moving to Long Island.

More getting ready.  I just changed all knife and scalpel blades. Sharpened the rest. Changed sandpaper in various sanding blocks.

post-4214-0-38983100-1485103909_thumb.jpg

Edited by Hipexec

Hey, here you are !!!

Nice build  :D  :D  :D

The knifes are sharp, workplace clean.....and no box ( yet )

Ok, I'll be waiting.

In the mean while some popcorn perhaps ?

Sjors

nootjes_en_popcorn_18.gif

I just got this mini caliper from a surgeon friend of mine who does micro surgery. They will help in trying to measure in tight places.

post-4214-0-09888100-1485198288_thumb.jpg

post-4214-0-42431500-1485198307_thumb.jpg