US Brig Syren by Hipexec - FINISHED - Model Shipways - 1:64 - building as USS Argus

I built and installed the aft gunport lids as per instructions except I made them full rather than 2 half lids. All the lids will eventually be full and not half lids

aft gunport lids 001.JPG

I'm working on building my own quarter badges. I have no idea how they will turn out. I'll just wing each step of the way.

making quarter badges 001.JPG

Still working on the side badges and I found some hawse hole liners from another kit. There will be a large percentage of stuff left over from other kits or scratch built by me on this build. It is a poor quality kit.

hawse holes and badges 001.JPG

hawse holes and badges 002.JPG

Edited by HIPEXEC

Rich are you Blackening your copper parts or Painting?

Current Builds - 18th Century Longboat, MS Syren

Completed Builds - MS Bluenose, Panart BatteStation Cross section, Endevour J Boat Half Hull, Windego Half Hull, R/C T37 Breezing Along, R/C Victoria 32, SolCat 18

On the shelf - Panart San Felipe, Euromodel Ajax, C.Mamoli America, 

Its a sailor's Life for me! :10_1_10:

7 hours ago, fnkershner said:

Rich are you Blackening your copper parts or Painting?

I tend to leave everything alone. Brass is brass, wood is wood, copper is copper. I will have brass belaying pins. Realism will be in the eye of the beholder.

I'm still working on the side badges. I don't know if I love them or hate them. I'll keep on swinging

still working on side badges 001.JPG

Here's the best I can do with making new side badges. I'll look at them for a while and make a decision as to put them on the ship or not. There is no way I would put the junky badges the kit provided.

best I can do side badges 001.JPG

Rich,

Wow, I go away for a short spell and I have an entire book to read to catch up!! Well done Sir, well done. I love the comb idea for your grating, will have to remember that one.

Your side badges look much better than the kit parts, I would use those first if it was me. If, however you still do not like them check out Chucks Chelsea(?) log. He demonstrates building either galleries or badges, I forget now but I remember getting all sorts of tips there. They are not terribly difficult to build, just fiddly. Either way whatever you do will look great like always.

Sam

BTW, since I most likely will not be around here on November 10, Happy Birthday!

Current Build Constructo Enterprise

Thanks to Steve and Sam, I got up the courage to install my homemade side badges. The Argus did have side badges, but the ones that came with the kit are not acceptable.

side badges installed 001.JPG

side badges installed 003.JPG

side badges installed 004.JPG

I touched up with varnish the hull where I had to sand the old varnish away so I could glue on the side badges.

touch up varnish side badges 001.JPG

I trimmed and finished the forward grate then stained it. I will now make the shot racks with is tiny tiny cannon balls that came with the kit.

forward grate finished 001.JPG

I glued the forward grate to the deck and made the shot racks with their "poppy seed" cannon balls

forward grate glued to deck 001.JPG

forward grate glued to deck 002.JPG

Still working on the center grates.

SHIPYARD WILL BE CLOSED UNTIL NOVEMBER 5th... CRUISIN" THROUGH THE PANAMA CANAL IN A MODERN SHIP

center grates in progress 001.JPG

Have a good trip and take some pictures

Rich,

So you got your spot in a sardine can.....

Couldn't resist...😁

Enjoy the trip and show us pictures.

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

• 3 weeks later...

I'm back at work in my shipyard after passing through the Panama Canal. I glued on the center grate components that I made pre-cruise.

center grate installed 001.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

I'm finally back in my shipyard. Between post cruise stuff and medical stuff it's been a while.

I'm assembling the ship's wheel.

I started making the bulkhead pinrails but don't like the way they are coming out. I'll have to invent another way of making them.

assembling ships wheel 001.JPG

assembling ships wheel 002.JPG

I've assembled the wheel unit. Now I have to finish and mount it. This is not the wheel that comes with the kit.

Wheel assembled not finished 001.JPG

Wheel assembled not finished 002.JPG

Here's the wheel assembly mounted on to the deck. I'll rig it later. I made it so the wheel will actually move the tiller

wheel mounted on deck 002.JPG

I'm experimenting with making the dozen or so bulkhead pinrails. I liked the look of Sapele wood but I can't seem to drill the holes in a straight line. The Sapele is so hard it has a mind of its own. I then made a rail out of basswood and the holes drill in a straight line. I stained it with golden oak. 

bulkhead pin rails test 001.JPG

bulkhead pin rails test 003.JPG

Rich - On  different Model I had to use pins to mount this rail. the combined pull of the lines made it come loose. And you can imagine the difficulty finding this out later when rigging.

Your Belaying pins look nice did you round them off from the pins provided? Mine look pretty square.

Current Builds - 18th Century Longboat, MS Syren

Completed Builds - MS Bluenose, Panart BatteStation Cross section, Endevour J Boat Half Hull, Windego Half Hull, R/C T37 Breezing Along, R/C Victoria 32, SolCat 18

On the shelf - Panart San Felipe, Euromodel Ajax, C.Mamoli America, 

Its a sailor's Life for me! :10_1_10:

9 hours ago, fnkershner said:

Rich - On  different Model I had to use pins to mount this rail. the combined pull of the lines made it come loose. And you can imagine the difficulty finding this out later when rigging.

Your Belaying pins look nice did you round them off from the pins provided? Mine look pretty square.

No, I did nothing to the pins. They're right out of the little bag. I glued a square shaped support under the pin rail and I'll probably pin them also so they don't break loose while rigging.

I had to give up making the bulkhead pinrails out of basswood. The stuff falls apart after drilling the closely spaced holes. I figured out a way of drill a straight line of holes in the iron hard Sapele wood, so I am now making all of them from Sapele.

sapele bulkhead pin rails 001.JPG

sapele bulkhead pin rails 002.JPG

I just finished the bulkhead pinrails out of sapele. Now I have to install a pin in each and sand the bulkhead before gluing them on

Bulkhead pinrails complete need pin 001.JPG

I had to make mine out of harder wood too.

Jesse

Current build: Syren : Kit- Model Shipways

Side project: HMS Bounty - Revel -(plastic)

On hold: Pre-owned, unfinished Mayflower (wood)

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle