US Brig Syren by Hipexec - FINISHED - Model Shipways - 1:64 - building as USS Argus

Just re-opened my shipyard.

I fabricated and dry fitted both topgallant masts. The bottom of the masts are square. I don't know why they had to do that since they could have easily lasercut both holes round in the caps.

topgallant dry fit 001.JPG

This post is for you, Frank. I've just re-sandpapered the sanding stick you gave me all those years ago. I can't live without it. I use it at every stage of the build. Thanks

Franks sanding stick 001.JPG

2 hours ago, HIPEXEC said:

This post is for you, Frank. I've just re-sandpapered the sanding stick you gave me all those years ago. I can't live without it. I use it at every stage of the build. Thanks

LOL!   I'm honored, Rich.

I've stained and glued the topgallant lasts in place. Next I will start the tedious job of stepping both masts.

topgallant glued 001.JPG

topgallant glued 002.JPG

Both masts stepped. I screwed up way back and now I can see the main fighting top should have been tipped forward so it is level in the raked position. I probably didn't read the fine print. Oh well

both masts stepped 001.JPG

If you used wood or white glue you can use alcohol to loosen the glue to re-position it. I have had to do this a few times. In place like this you can use a paint brush to get it in there where you need it. It takes patience, might take several times of coating it in there as letting it soak in and doing it some more until you can move it.

Jesse

Current build: Syren : Kit- Model Shipways

Side project: HMS Bounty - Revel -(plastic)

On hold: Pre-owned, unfinished Mayflower (wood)

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

Are your masts glued in yet? If not I suggest adding your blocks now. I have learned the frustration of adding blocks and rigging line later in the build and now do both at the earliest stage I can. Trying to thread a line threw a block under a fighting top is a challenge for these old eyes.

Regards,

Jim Rogers

Damn the Torpedoes , Full speed ahead.   Adm David Farragut.

2 hours ago, JesseLee said:

If you used wood or white glue you can use alcohol to loosen the glue to re-position it. I have had to do this a few times. In place like this you can use a paint brush to get it in there where you need it. It takes patience, might take several times of coating it in there as letting it soak in and doing it some more until you can move it.

Jesse

OK I'll give that a try. I use PVA Ph neutral glue

2 hours ago, Jim Rogers said:

Are your masts glued in yet? If not I suggest adding your blocks now. I have learned the frustration of adding blocks and rigging line later in the build and now do both at the earliest stage I can. Trying to thread a line threw a block under a fighting top is a challenge for these old eyes.

Too late. I'll struggle later

JesseLee

I can't seem to budge the glue on that crooked fighting top. I tried alcohol and then plain water? That was after a three hour soaking with alcohol. Maybe I have to drown the top. 

14 hours ago, HIPEXEC said:

JesseLee

I can't seem to budge the glue on that crooked fighting top. I tried alcohol and then plain water? That was after a three hour soaking with alcohol. Maybe I have to drown the top. 

You might have to. After the glue dries the water will do no good, it will have to be the alcohol.

Current build: Syren : Kit- Model Shipways

Side project: HMS Bounty - Revel -(plastic)

On hold: Pre-owned, unfinished Mayflower (wood)

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

Rich - try using a small syringe and needle to get the alcohol into the glued areas.  Soak it well, then try to loosen it while it's still wet.

I'm putting trying to level the main top on hold. I can't get the glue to budge.

Now I have no choice but to start my cannon factory....ugh!

I gave the glue one last shot. I wrapped the area with paper towels and soaked the area with just plain water overnite. Guess what? It worked! I leveled the fighting top. here's the glue I used. It's PVA. Alcohol didn't budge it. Oh well..what ever works.

glue 001.JPG

glue 002.JPG

All these angles drive my eyes crazy so I put a bubble on the newly leveled top. Looks good to the bubble

bubble 001.JPG

I've started the cannon factory. Now I know why I don't build the Victory. The cast parts have a lot of flashing to be filed off.

cannon factory 001.JPG

Now I have to glue these tiny wooden supports to the flange on the base of each carronade. I'm not good with all this tiny tiny stuff.

little 002.JPG

A lot of people pitched in to help. I tried lots of combos and luckily found one that worked. Thank you all who pitched in! :champagne-popping-smiley-emotic

2 hours ago, Tochvi said:

Amazing build and great attention to detail and not just "settling" with something ok! Its admirable! Looking forward to seeing this done.

Has given me alot of tips for my build and the one that will surely follow after that! 

Cheers from Sweden! 

Thanks. So who made off with the Crown Jewels? 

Putting these tiny supports is very time consuming. They are so small I can't even get the camera to focus down to their size.

tiny build 001.JPG

On 8/14/2018 at 1:43 PM, Ebomba said:

Rich, amazing work , as always, do you use some type of magnification? I can hardly see them on my screen with zooming in.

Ed

Yes. I had to use a magnifying glass to double check positions. They're still not perfect but I'll sand and file them level before gluing.

I glued the sleds to the carronade bases. I located them exactly where the drawing showed in relation to the slot

sled to base 001.JPG

I painted the brackets so they look like the original wood. I can't imagine anyone but me noticing this detail when the ship is finished.

wood 001.JPG

wood 002.JPG