US Brig Syren by Hipexec - FINISHED - Model Shipways - 1:64 - building as USS Argus

Building this long boat will be more of a sculpting project than a normal boat building. It'll be the most delicate Dremel work I ever had to do. 

sculpting the long boat 001.JPG

I'm rough shaping the exterior hull of the longboat with my Dremel. I've got the profile of the bow and stern exactly the shape of the provided keel pieces. I'll probably have to shift to hand sanding to make sure I don't take off too much and to give the hull that streamlined look. 

shaping exterior of long boat 001.JPG

I'm putting some pictures of the longboat I built for my Surprise. It was a traditional plank on frame build of natural wood. This Dremel carving is very difficult for me and I'm running out of cutting bits small enough to get into the cracks and crevasses. Oh well...I'll just keep on plugging.

shaping exterior of long boat 001.JPG

shaping exterior of long boat 002.JPG

shaping exterior of long boat 003.JPG

shaping exterior of long boat 004.JPG

shaping exterior of long boat 005.JPG

Rich:

Your boat is coming along really well. Good work. 

I would start hand sanding at this point. If you use a rough grit, it will not take long to finish the hardest parts and then move down to 220 grit and the 400 grit to finish it off. 

Russ

5 hours ago, russ said:

Rich:

Your boat is coming along really well. Good work. 

I would start hand sanding at this point. If you use a rough grit, it will not take long to finish the hardest parts and then move down to 220 grit and the 400 grit to finish it off. 

Russ

Thanks, Russ. I'll do as you suggest. :dancetl6:

I'm now using rough grit sandpaper and making slow but sure progress shaping the longboat. I'm still working on the outside.

slow but sure 002.JPG

Still sanding away on the longboat. A piece of the transom broke off and I had to glue it back. I'm still not finished, but it's getting there. 

still sanding 001.JPG

still sanding 002.JPG

Shaping the longboat is a slow, careful project. The walls get thinner and thinner and I still don't have the boat completely smooth. I'll just keep on sanding 

long boat slow but sure 002.JPG

long boat slow but sure 001.JPG

Still sanding the longboat. Hull is getting very thin. I have to be careful.

still sanding 001.JPG

I'm starting the longboat's frame or skeleton. I sanded the hull so much I can see daylight through some spots and there are still some charlines?

starting skeleton 001.JPG

1 hour ago, Ebomba said:

Rich,

it's really looking good, I think it will be a fine addition to what is turning out to be a great ship!

1 hour ago, Ebomba said:

Rich,

it's really looking good, I think it will be a fine addition to what is turning out to be a great ship!

Thank you :dancetl6:

By the way, I've soaked and pre-bent all the ribs before gluing them to the hull. And, yes, this is quite a project for a small item

pre bending 001.JPG

I fabricated the floor boards as one piece so I can remove them when I stain or paint the inside of the hull. There's a sliver of a construction piece in the stern holding them all together. I'll remove that when it's finally installed.

floor boards 001.JPG

I'm prepping so I can install the seats. I've glued on the seat supports and cut stiff paper into strips the width of the seats. I will use these paper strips to size each seat out of wood. I am not going to glue any of this stuff down until I stain or paint the inside of the hull.

seat prep 001.JPG

seat prep 002.JPG

I've made rough sized templates for the seats. When I cut the wood, I can fine tune the shape to conform with the hull by sanding.

templates 001.JPG

templates 002.JPG

I cut all the seats to size for snug fits and stored them in a cup for later installation. I started building the floor grates for the longboat. BTW the actual seats are narrower then the paper forms I made.

seats cut floor grate started 001.JPG

seats cut floor grate started 002.JPG

I've dry fitted all the parts inside the hull except for the rear gunwale seats which will be cut to size when the rest are glued in position. I don't know if I'm making the windlass yet.

dry fitted longboat 002.JPG

I stained the inner parts and the inside of the hull. The hull had too much smeared around PVA glue from installing the ribs so the stain is not even. I bought some wood colored paint and will paint the inside of the longboat when the stain dries.

stain 002.JPG

I painted the outside of the hull white and painted the inside wood colored. For the picture I dry fitted some stained pieces and it looks ok to me.

paint 003.JPG

12 hours ago, smarra said:

That is coming along fantastic.

What paint did you use for the inside of the boat ?

It looks great, I have the back of my Syren that did not take the stain so well and may want to paint it that wood color.

I was about to ask the same thing.

Jesse

Current build: Syren : Kit- Model Shipways

Side project: HMS Bounty - Revel -(plastic)

On hold: Pre-owned, unfinished Mayflower (wood)

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

The paint I used for the inner hull of the longboat is:

Model Master

color: Wood

I bought it at Hobby Lobby