US Brig Syren by Hipexec - FINISHED - Model Shipways - 1:64 - building as USS Argus

I had some small boat chocks left over from another kit that I modified to fit this longboat. They work fine.

chocks 001.JPG

Slow but sure I'm trimming out the longboat. This is the fifth week of working on it!

trimmings 002.JPG

I SHAPED AND PAINTED THE FIRST OAR. I SHARPENED THE BLADE AND ROUNDED THE HANDLES

first oar 001.JPG

I finished the long boat oars. Now I'll make the ship's sweeps then tie the whole thing to the deck.

oars done 001.JPG

I made the longboat tie downs from elastic cord I bought at the bead store. This way I can take the longboat on and off at will while it stays snugly tied down when on. 

tie downs 001.JPG

The longboat is finally finished! I added a water cask and mooring line. nothing is glued down so I can remove any or all the boat components. I'll make the ship's sweeps next.

finished 001.JPG

finished 002.JPG

Edited by HIPEXEC

I like the additions!

Current build: Syren : Kit- Model Shipways

Side project: HMS Bounty - Revel -(plastic)

On hold: Pre-owned, unfinished Mayflower (wood)

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

Jesse everything looks so good.  A word of caution though: The elastic in those cords tends to disintegrate over time and what you are building will long outlast the cord.

Of course I guess you could just replace it as needed...

Dave

Edited by lambsbk

4 hours ago, JesseLee said:

I like the additions!

Thanks Jesse Lee. How are you doing? Nice comments from you are most welcome. Your work is fantastic!

Thanks Rich. I am beginning to feel a little better, hoping to get back to mine soon. It has been a rough year for me.

As you have seen most of the wood supplied in this kit is not that good. You have done good remaking things with better wood. I just ordered some blocks from Chucks Syren Model Co. because they didn't give me enough in the kit. The quality difference is amazing.

Current build: Syren : Kit- Model Shipways

Side project: HMS Bounty - Revel -(plastic)

On hold: Pre-owned, unfinished Mayflower (wood)

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

10 hours ago, JesseLee said:

Thanks Rich. I am beginning to feel a little better, hoping to get back to mine soon. It has been a rough year for me.

As you have seen most of the wood supplied in this kit is not that good. You have done good remaking things with better wood. I just ordered some blocks from Chucks Syren Model Co. because they didn't give me enough in the kit. The quality difference is amazing.

Jesse Lee,

I'm like you and have been dealing with stage three cancer since Jan 1. It's no walk in the park and I didn't work on my boat for six months. Hang in there. I love your build.

I shaped the ship's sweeps. Three of them broke while sanding! Oh the crappy wood in this kit!

I'll paint them tomorrow.

sweeps 001.JPG

sweeps 002.JPG

I finished painting the ship's sweeps. When dry I will bundle them in two bundles of eight and tuck them under the longboat and lash them down.

sweeps painted 001.JPG

I lashed and stowed the ship's sweeps under the longboat. That finishes the longboat. Enough with the longboat already!:dancetl6:

long boat finished 001.JPG

On 10/25/2018 at 11:44 AM, lambsbk said:

Sorry Rich...I meant to address my note above to you. I do know it is your build. :)

Dave

Dave

Thanks for the instructive comment. I figured a much. I'll probably change out the elastic later but until I'm finished I might want to easily remove the boat etc.

I needed a few days off for health issues but now I'm beginning the boarding panels and hammock cranes

boarding panels and hammoc cranes 001.JPG

Here we go again! The boarding panel slit the minute I made a tiny starter hole for the eyebolt. Boy the wood in this kit is sub standard. I'll make my own out of sturdier stuff

crappy wood again 001.JPG

I'm working on the hammock cranes, etc. If the eyebolts were any smaller I'd need x-ray vision to install them

hammock cranes 001.JPG

hammock cranes 002.JPG

I finished installing the hammock cranes.Very tedious and time consuming because the parts are so small and fragile. The holes on the cranes are so small I could only get a very small gauge wire instead of string through the holes.

Next I'll work on installing the nets which in the past is like putting toothpaste back in the tube.

hmmock cranes 002.JPG

hmmock cranes 001.JPG

Looking good Rich. May I suggest considering breaking the edges on your long boat tiller. 

Holding on to the tiller with sharp edges would really be a chore for coxswain(?).

Cheers, Harley

Cheers, Harley<p 

Under Construction:       USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54 1/200 by ILoveKit

Completed:                     F-35A 1/48 by Tamiya

USS Atlanta CL-51 1/350 by Very Fire 

Liberty Ship John W. Brown 1/350 by Trumpeter

HMS Spiraea K-08 1/350 

USS Arizona BB-39 1/200 by Trumpeter/Mk1 Design

HMS Sir Gareth 1/350 by Starling Models

USS Missouri BB-63 1945 1/350 by Joy-Yard, 9/11/21

USS Indianapolis CA-35 1945 1/350 by Trumpeter

USS Kidd DD-661, 1945, 1/350, on The Sullivans kit by Trumpeter

USS Alaska CB-1, 1/350, Hobby Boss, Circa 2/1945

Brig Syren 1/64 Model Shipways, Wood

Started,On Hold:     Frigate Confederacy 1/64 Model Shipways, Wood

I fixed the sharp edges on the longboat tiller, but as usual, the crappy wood from this kit just crumbled when I tried to sand it. I had to "graft" on a repair.

new tiller 001.JPG

I basically installed the hammock nets. Now I just have to clean them up and trim. This was like dealing with spider webs the netting is so fine. Worse than putting toothpaste back in the tube

nets finished 003.JPG

I started to install the rudder chains or pendants. I'm not sure how detailed I'll be. Run the lines all the way to the deck or just clip them to the hull?

rudder chains 001.JPG