US Brig Syren by Hipexec - FINISHED - Model Shipways - 1:64 - building as USS Argus

I finished the rudder chains and because the Argus has superstructures in the stern and pictures I have of an old model of the Argus makes me believe that the chains run through the hull into the superstructures just like on the USS Constitution where they run through the hull into the gun room for emergency steering.

rudder chains done 002.JPG

I just rummaged through my kit and Syren plans and can not find anything to make a ship's stand? Am I missing something?  :default_wallbash::default_wallbash::dancetl6:

53 minutes ago, HIPEXEC said:

I just rummaged through my kit and Syren plans and can not find anything to make a ship's stand? Am I missing something?  :default_wallbash::default_wallbash::dancetl6:

There was nothing that came with the kit to make a stand.

I've been debating  whether to get a pair of brass pedestals and mount to a board or make my own cradle out of wood.

10 minutes ago, smarra said:

There was nothing that came with the kit to make a stand.

I've been debating  whether to get a pair of brass pedestals and mount to a board or make my own cradle out of wood.

I'll make my own out of wood. It's hard to believe they did not provide for a stand? :dancetl6:

No, there is nothing in this kit. Everybody has to come up with their own.

Jesse

Current build: Syren : Kit- Model Shipways

Side project: HMS Bounty - Revel -(plastic)

On hold: Pre-owned, unfinished Mayflower (wood)

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

I'm starting to build a stand for my boat since none comes with this kit. 

stand 001.JPG

stand 002.JPG

Still working on the ship's stand. I cut out one cradle and now I have to finish sanding it and staining it. 

stand cut 001.JPG

stand cut 002.JPG

I'm doing the final fitting and positioning of the ship's stand. Next will be mounting and finishing

stand final fitting 001.JPG

The cradles and base are finally set so the ship sits firmly on the stand. Next I will pin but not glue the cradles. Then I will sand and varnish all pieces. Then permanently glue everything together. By the way where that big knot is I will place a brass plaque with the ship's name

final fitting stand 001.JPG

Edited by HIPEXEC

I've sanded away the stain in the areas to be glued. I've installed pins in each cradle and drilled holes to receive them in the base. The long strip you see is trim molding when it is all glued together. Then I will varnish  whole thing.

sanding and pinning 001.JPG

sanding and pinning 002.JPG

sanding and pinning 003.JPG

sanding and pinning 004.JPG

The ship's stand is now ready for some touch up staining and several coats of varnish.

Ready for varnish 003.JPG

ready for varnish 005.JPG

ready for varnish 004.JPG

ready for varnish 007.JPG

After the stand was finished, I looked at the whole thing from all angles and realized the ship was on a port tack instead of straight up! So I did some shimming and sanding and straightened the whole thing. The lesson here is, check everything from all angles every time.

Port tack 003.JPG

Port tack 002.JPG

• 4 weeks later...

I'm closing down my shipyard so I can move. At my age it's time to downsize. I haven't touch my boat in a month while selling my house. I miss everybody but some things are necessary

:dancetl6:

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...