US Brig Syren by Hipexec - FINISHED - Model Shipways - 1:64 - building as USS Argus

I installed the caps on each mast so I can have a point of reference for all the other things that get installed on the mast. 

caps 001.JPG

My water softener sprung a leak and flooded my shipyard along with everything else. The idiot who installed it didn't put a safety pan under it. Plumber just finished installing a new one and I'm cleaning up my:10_1_10: shipyard. It needed it anyway.

Yikes! hope there isn't too much damage. 

Current build: Syren : Kit- Model Shipways

Side project: HMS Bounty - Revel -(plastic)

On hold: Pre-owned, unfinished Mayflower (wood)

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

Not too bad, but it's forcing me to clean the whole shipyard. It really needed it. I had a habit of just throwing scraps on the floor while I was focusing on building my ship like a surgeon. From now on I shall drop the scrap into a new waste bucket I brought in. Now I'm cleaning the floor. Ugh!~ glue and paint droppings all over. Two more days work and I will have a pristine shop again.  :piratebo5: 

15 hours ago, Seahawk1313 said:

Rich, don't get the shipyard too clean.  One it wouldn't be "natural" and it would make my shipyard look real bad:D.

:10_1_10::cheers:

I was completely stumped trying to make the rod components for the ship's pump. I butchered dozens of pieces of metal and finally gave up. Then my savior came to the rescue and made the pair for me. He is Frank McMahon, the ad hoc chair of The Arizona Shipwrights and you must visit his latest build. On this website, go to "Skipjack Kathryn" " based on HAER Drawings. Frank is a master of details and can make anything of wood or metal. His shop is heaven for modelers. Thank you Frank.

pump 001.JPG

Working on the ship's pump. The devil is in the details. At least it works. I drilled holes in the hull to take the extra long pump rods.

pump in works 001.JPG

5b4baf7ae955a_pumpinstalled001.thumb.JPG.43bd5b41452c674f0af70ac799695ab2.JPGInstalled the pump. A few details left but they can be added even though it's glued to the deck.

pump installed 004.JPG

pump installed 005.JPG

pump installed 006.JPG

pump installed 003.JPG

pump installed 001.JPG

Edited by HIPEXEC

While I'm proud of my work on the ship's pump, but I have to say, compared to many of your builds, mine looks like a cartoon version. I'm always amazed at the precision and quality of most of your work.

I'm prepping the masts so I can continue building them up. I flattened the parts where the cheeks and fish will be glued.

mast prep 001.JPG

Mast prep continued. Cheeks area flattened and iron bands installed (they're made of paper)

mast con't 001.JPG

Slow but sure the lower masts are being fabricated. They are just "dry" fitted to the hull

masts cont 001.JPG

I'm dry fitting the cross trees and trestle trees. These parts are very delicate pre-cuts and I broke one piece. The kit thoughtfully provides an extra piece for each since they knew the parts are very delicate.

dry fit cross trees 001.JPG

Starting to glue the cross trees. While doing that my big indelicate hands knocked the bowsprit loose! Easy fix though.

glue cross trees 001.JPG

glue cross trees 002.JPG

glue cross trees 003.JPG

I finished planking the fighting tops. Now the planks  just have to be trimmed. For that I use a straight edge nail clipper. It does a nice job for very thin planks.

planking done 002.JPG

planking done 001.JPG

I glued on the rims to the fighting tops. Next will be to glue on the battens. The cross trees are ready to recieve the fighting tops now.

rim 001.JPG

rim 002.JPG

1 hour ago, Sjors said:

You are going fast Rich.

But a great job !

Sjors

Hello Sjors! Say hello to Anja. Judy sends her regards.

The fighting top rims splintered while drilling the holes for the deadeyes. I will now rebuild the damaged rims. 

rim 001.JPG

9 hours ago, HIPEXEC said:

The fighting top rims splintered while drilling the holes for the deadeyes. I will now rebuild the damaged rims. 

Bummer, Rich.  Try starting the holes with a very small drill and work your way up to the final size.