US Brig Syren by Hipexec - FINISHED - Model Shipways - 1:64 - building as USS Argus

We just had a meeting of The Arizona Shipwrights at my garage shipyard. We welcome all model ship builders who live in Arizona to join our group. We get together once a month at one of our homes. It's educational and fun.

Az Shipwrights 001.JPG

I finally got all the gunwales to 5/32" like the instructions said. That's a lot of sanding. Now I can concentrate on planking.

5-32 inch gunwales 001.JPG

The instructions say to paint the inside of the gunports and sweep ports before planking, so I did. I am now getting all my planking equipment in order. Soaking tubes and jigs, etc.

painting gunports 001.JPG

I'm pre-bending the first 14 planks. These are the planks about the wales and encompass the gunports. They are 1/8" Basswood and after a short soak, they bent without breaking! The pictures show my jig and soaking tube made of capped PVC pipe.

bending the first planks 001.JPG

bending the first planks 002.JPG

I've clamped (not glued) the first two planks after sitting in my jig overnight. Both sides seem to fit very snugly. I guess all my fairing and sanding has paid off. Since the planks have a small downward arch as well as a curve, I will leave them clamped for a while so they keep the arch. I'll assist with some hot air from a hair dryer.

first plank test 003.JPG

first plank test 001.JPG

first plank test 002.JPG

I've begun planking. Here's the upper wale and two smaller planks above the upper wale. These were relatively easy since there's not much twisting and beveling needed. They were pre-curved in my jig. Only slight beveling. Above these requires nice neat cuts around the gun ports and sweep ports. Below, tapering and beveling, curves and twists.

planking begins 001.JPG

planking begins 002.JPG

I just unclamped the first three courses both port and starboard and they came out nicely. Now for the more difficult planks 

first three courses done 001.JPG

first three courses done 002.JPG

A great start on the planking!

Doug

Current BuildsBluenose II - AKrabbenkutter / Prince de Neufchatel / Essex Cross-section / Syren / Barque Stefano / Winchelsea / Half Hull / Maria HF31 - Dusek / Bandirma - Turkmodel

On the Shelf: Santisima Trinidad and Cross Section / HMS Cutter Alert / Tender AVOS / Confederacy

Suspended Build: Bluenose II - Billing Boats Nr 600 

Nice progress on your Syren build.  I will definitely be following along.

"I've told you a million times, don't exaggerate   ;) "

Current builds:

H.M.S. TRITON Cross Section by Bbrockel - Scratch Build - Scale 1:48

US Brig Syren by Bbrockel - Model Shipways -Scale 1:64

This looks very good! And I really like your garage shipyard! In North Carolina we have the same heat problem during summer. It is getting really hot and humid! I might start a little garage project on my own :)

Thomas

Current Built:   Model Shipways  Syren  (US Brig 1803)

Last Built:        Anfora (kit bashed)  Ictineo II  (1st steam powered submarine 1864)

6 hours ago, Gahm said:

This looks very good! And I really like your garage shipyard! In North Carolina we have the same heat problem during summer. It is getting really hot and humid! I might start a little garage project on my own :)

Thomas

The AC is great. It even heats if it gets cold. BTW I tagged your build site since day one. Nice job.

Well it took a while, but I finished the first plank course involving the gunports and sweep ports. That's a lot of cuts and none are quite perpendicular since the hull curves. They are all just a little bit off. Now for the same on the starboard side.

gunport plank 002.JPG

gunport plank 001.JPG

Great start on the planking Rich.  I feel like it is really going to be a ship once the skin starts to go on!

Doug

Current BuildsBluenose II - AKrabbenkutter / Prince de Neufchatel / Essex Cross-section / Syren / Barque Stefano / Winchelsea / Half Hull / Maria HF31 - Dusek / Bandirma - Turkmodel

On the Shelf: Santisima Trinidad and Cross Section / HMS Cutter Alert / Tender AVOS / Confederacy

Another day...another course of planks. One plank course a day is all I can manage since I have to give the glue a chance to work. 

planking along 001.JPG

planking along 002.JPG

Here I'm installing the trickiest plank yet...the top of the gunports plank. It required I carefully cuy out the top of each gunport so it conforms with the opening. I first just dry clamped the plank into position, then made the cuts with a sharp knife and sanding stick, then glued it into position.

cutting planks for gunports 001.JPG

cutting planks for gunports 002.JPG

cutting planks for gunports 004.JPG

Well handled Rich.

Doug

I've installed the last upper planks. I've made a slight mod to the plans which I will explain later.  I also noticed that one side is 1/32 higher than the other? Go figure. It's an east fix with some sanding, but with all the careful measuring I did for the first plank, something must have slipped in the first gluing.

last upper planks 001.JPG

Here's the upper planks without clamps. They look pretty good without any sanding if I say so myself.

upper planks without clamps 001.JPG