US Brig Syren by Hipexec - FINISHED - Model Shipways - 1:64 - building as USS Argus

I'm working up the energy to start sanding, so to still stay busy without sanding, I built a 15/32" X 15/32" square  jig to help me when I start making the gunport sides. Somehow using a jig to supplement my eyeballs will give me square gunports. 

gunport jig 001.JPG

gunport jig 002.JPG

Edited by Hipexec

Let the fairing begin!

There was a tremendous amount of excess material on the lintels, so I rough faired the lintels with my Dremel, and now the tedious task of smooth fairing the lintels on both sides. In the pic you can see the bent plank I use for a gage along with the various sanding sticks I use.

lintel fairing 001.JPG

Still sanding lintels. My shop looks like it snowed and I'm not finished.

sanding lintels 001.JPG

sanding lintels 002.JPG

Edited by Hipexec

I used the port and starboard templates provided to mark the gunport sides. I was surprised that it was a harder task than meets the eye. The goal is to get gunport symmetry, but on a couple I had to tweak them a millimeter or so? Go figure. This frame is as straight and square as I can make it, but it is off just a tiny bit?    

(I placed the template in the photo just to show you what it looks like. When making the marks it has to be fixed up tight to the gunwale.)

marking gunport sides 001.JPG

Edited by Hipexec

I glued in the first gunport sides. Some sides are not as thick as most. The great news is there will only be a small amount of sanding to fair these pieces once installed since they are almost net size.

first gunport sides 001.JPG

first gunport sides 002.JPG

The instructions said to wait until the last frame before sawing bulkhead #24 because the structure will now be very strong. They were right. I had no trouble sawing through the bulkhead frame. If you remember....these same frames were very fragile when first installed.

I then lightly sand the frame smooth, so I can glue the the gunport sides. These side do not appear to be square with the frame.

sawing bulkhead frame 001.JPG

sawing bulkhead frame 002.JPG

a nerve wracking moment I'm sure!

Doug

Current BuildsBluenose II - AKrabbenkutter / Prince de Neufchatel / Essex Cross-section / Syren / Barque Stefano / Winchelsea / Half Hull / Maria HF31 - Dusek / Bandirma - Turkmodel

On the Shelf: Santisima Trinidad and Cross Section / HMS Cutter Alert / Tender AVOS / Confederacy

Suspended Build: Bluenose II - Billing Boats Nr 600 

Believe it or not, that lintel warped upward after I cut the frame so I rebuilt the whole aft end to take out the warp. It's glued and clamped as we speak. I'll let you know how it works out.

Here's the aft gunport repair. It looks straight now. I guess I made one or more lintels too snug and they put lateral stress along the whole series of lintels. When the bulkhead was cut it allowed the stress to relieve itself with an upward bulge. Moral of the story....do not make lintels too snug.

Starboard aft gunport repair 001.JPG

Starboard aft gunport repair 002.JPG

Good work, Rich.  It's better to find the problem early, so that it's easier to fix it.  You're moving right along - looking forward to seeing the Argus in a few weeks.

The door has been disconnected since I moved in 5 years ago. Thanks for the tip, though.

Port side gunport walls roughed in except for the end port where I have to saw through the last bulkhead extension. I'll wait for the PVA glue to do its magic and cut it tomorrow. 

port side gunports almost finished 001.JPG

port side gunports almost finished 002.JPG

I cut the aft bulkhead and got no warping this time. I sanded the cuts ad glued and clamped gunport sides.  After the glue sets I shall begin sanding and fairing the gunport sides.

cutting aft bulkhead 001.JPG

cutting aft bulkhead 002.JPG

cutting aft bulkhead 003.JPG

cutting aft bulkhead 004.JPG

cutting aft bulkhead 005.JPG

Another milestone and no drama this time!  Looking good!

Doug

Current BuildsBluenose II - AKrabbenkutter / Prince de Neufchatel / Essex Cross-section / Syren / Barque Stefano / Winchelsea / Half Hull / Maria HF31 - Dusek / Bandirma - Turkmodel

On the Shelf: Santisima Trinidad and Cross Section / HMS Cutter Alert / Tender AVOS / Confederacy

Sanded and faired the starboard side inside and out. Much easier than the initial fairing. Port side tomorrow. 

faired starboard side in and out 001.JPG

faired starboard side in and out 002.JPG

faired starboard side in and out 003.JPG

Finished sanding and fairing the port side. That rocket ship looking thing is a kids balloon blow up pump. Since I sand with a mask, I use that to blow off the saw dust.

Port side sanded and faired 002.JPG

Port side sanded and faired 001.JPG

Port side sanded and faired 004.JPG

Port side sanded and faired 003.JPG

Believe it or not, I had to remove another pair of bulkhead extensions to make room for the sixteen sweep ports. This ship comes with 16 very long oars or sweeps and there will be 16 sweep ports installed.

bulkhead eight 001.JPG

bulkhead eight 003.JPG

Thanks Rich,

I'll make a note of that in my instructions - it looks like it was the 8th bulkhead from the bow - is that right?

(edit - I found it in my instructions - it does say to take out bulkhead extension at 8)

Doug

Yes...these two are at #8. Don't worry...these things are now strong as an ox unlike when they were first installed.

• I'm installing the tops for the sweep ports. Seems like an overkill since the ports are 1/8"  x 1/8" and the top is 1/4"? Oh well it will give me more surface for gluing planks.

sweep port tops 001.JPG

Finished both sides sweep port tops. I'll wait until tomorrow to sand and fair them before gluing on the sweep port sides.

Both sides sweep ports done 001.JPG

Both sides sweep ports done 002.JPG

Ripping along there Rich.  Well done.

Doug

Finished sanding and fairing the starboard sweep port tops inside and out.  I'll do the port side later

starboard sweeports faired 001.JPG

starboard sweeports faired 002.JPG

I finished sanding and fairing both sides. I installed the first sweep port side. 

I'm glad I found an error in logic in these very detailed plans. After making all 16 sweep port tops to have a 1/8" x 1/8" opening, the instructions call for using 3/16" stock to make the sides????   There is a slight mention of having to sand a few down, but that  too is  wrong. I'd have to sand all of the 3/16" to 1/8".  I just found some 1/8" stock.

first sweep port side 001.JPG